Cheap starter rifles

AGR

This forum often carrys requests for free or cheap guns, so here's your chance. As already posted, Salisbury Sporting Auction on the 23rd March. In the downloadable catalogue there is a BSA .243, guide price £30-50, and a Zastava .243, guide £80-100, both with scopes, and a Steyr .270, guide £200-250.
I have bought guns at auction and will again. See you there!

Hunter5567

Do they sell the Savage Axis rifles there in the UK? I've seen them new for $250 here at Walmart. Great cheap rifles that shoot really well despite the cheap price. The Axis II has the accutrigger as well.

Andy-Painter

Alsohave a look at Holts Auctioneers Sealed bid auctions, the next one finishes on the 28th March 2019 and there are a few 243 calibre rifles and bigger calibre rifles going with low prices.

AGR

Do they sell the Savage Axis rifles there in the UK? I've seen them new for $250 here at Walmart. Great cheap rifles that shoot really well despite the cheap price. The Axis II has the accutrigger as well.
Yes, just read a review, rrp £750 with scope, good write up except for 4lb trigger pull and flexible forend, but excellent out of the box performance.

Hunter5567

Yes, just read a review, rrp £750 with scope, good write up except for 4lb trigger pull and flexible forend, but excellent out of the box performance.
Ya, that's too dang high for that rifle there as better options exist for the same or not much more money, especially used rigs.
There are great little rifles but should be in the 350-500 quid max range for a new one. The Ruger American bolts are very accurate as well but not worth it if they are in the 750 on up range when a Tikka could be had .

Hunter5567

I see some really good deals in firearms for sale section. I don't know if the rifles are shot a lot with a very high round count-->5000 rds.

hendrix's rifle

I have an early edge/axis. Paid 300 quid for it, couple hundred on a mod and 60 on the scope! Another 40 on bedding compound and bolts for the trigger work and I'm away. Weighs a good bit more than it did, nicer on the shoulder, great trigger now it's been fettled and below an inch with factory and half inch with reloads (it does do half inch with factory for the best part) if you can source a second hand mod you will have a cheap, accurate and reliable rifle.

johngryphon

cheap starter that you can rely on? BRNO ZKK
The ZKK line holds its price down here,there is quite a following too and are not seen as 'cheap'

One thing to note imo is that the top end of the PH rifles are an extremely accurate and robust rifle for the bloke that wants to hunt rather than own a status symbol.They are better than 'starter' rifles and usually a very good price.

ileso

The ZKK line holds its price down here,there is quite a following too and are not seen as 'cheap'

One thing to note imo is that the top end of the PH rifles are an extremely accurate and robust rifle for the bloke that wants to hunt rather than own a status symbol.They are better than 'starter' rifles and usually a very good price.
yes I have noticed that back home they seam to be almost collectors items, but here in europe they are rare, but cheap. I saw a few in the UK (I almost bought one for parts) that were under 200€

thats why I say its a good starter rifle as they are very very good rifles, excellent steel, very reliable and quite accurate too. I even managed to acquire some original spare parts for it, like triggers, magazine springs and firing pins..

johngryphon

I have noticed that back home they seam to be almost collectors items, but here in europe they are rare, but cheap. I saw a few in the UK (I almost bought one for parts) that were under 200€
I too have seen quite a few on the SD that I would have purchased if they were on sale here. Solid workhorse they are.

ileso

I too have seen quite a few on the SD that I would have purchased if they were on sale here. Solid workhorse they are.
would importing one be too expensive? for me it was all the paperwork that blew it, it was a massive hassle

AGR

would importing one be too expensive? for me it was all the paperwork that blew it, it was a massive hassle
Well you wait 'til we've got Brexit sorted mate! You're going to see some paperwork and hassle then!

ileso

Well you wait 'til we've got Brexit sorted mate! You're going to see some paperwork and hassle then!
hahaha, yeh well. nothing you cant get used to. But to be honest it will probably be just as dificult as now. I thought it would be easy given its EU, but buying certain items from the UK is like getting stuff from Mars anyway. I had also tried for a puppy once. I gave up on that also...

Sonicdmb73

I paid the princely sum of £70 for my PH 270 cost as much for threading it.

Pine Marten

Alsohave a look at Holts Auctioneers Sealed bid auctions, the next one finishes on the 28th March 2019 and there are a few 243 calibre rifles and bigger calibre rifles going with low prices.
I tend to agree, however since they changed auction venue from the one in Hammersmith, West London, they've stopped bringing the sealed bid lots to the preview. You have to go to Norfolk if you want to handle the goods beforehand. This is a terrible shame, it was the only place you could see and handle such a wide variety of rifles, acquire a feel for what you liked, what suited you, and finally maybe pick up a bargain. Doing it based on the catalogue description is something quite different. I can understand why it may not make any financial sense to bring this huge pile of ironmongery to an expensive venue when it's probably not at all profitable, but I really can't see how someone on a budget in London can now make an informed choice beyond obvious new off-the-peg offerings and their marketing. I guess it's an effect of the polarisation of the market.