Chiller

MarkD123

Ok Gents (and ladies)…..
I’ve already done a search, and can’t locate anything in recent times that answers my question, so please forgive me for asking a ‘repeated question’.
I’ve usually stalked in the cooler months of the year, which enables me hang the carcass in my garage for several days.
But……….I’m going stalking in a couple of weeks and with temps as they are, obviously don’t want to hang any beasts in the garage at this time of year.
So my question, what’s the best and cheapest way to ‘solve’ the issue at this time of year?
I’m thinking £300 larder fridge or see if I can pick up a cheap second hand chiller off eBay (of which none are ‘cheap’ when I search).
Please understand that it’s going to be used maybe a couple of times a year only, and meat for personal consumption.
Any suggestions very great fully received.
Cheers

Last edited:

Woodsmoke

Your thinking is just fine :thumb: Just make sure you don't put any carcasses into a chiller too quickly or you'll end up with potentially tough meat due to cold shortening. Best let them cool naturally to ambient first

stalker.308

I guess the question is, what species? Anything bar a red can fo in a drinks chiller, the likes of which I used for the early years stalking, when like you it was for occasional use. They do a great job for the circa £100 cost.

MarkD123

I guess the question is, what species? Anything bar a red can fo in a drinks chiller, the likes of which I used for the early years stalking, when like you it was for occasional use. They do a great job for the circa £100 cost.
Fallow/roe/muntjac, nothing larger.
And if I could find one for £100 I’d be snapping their hands off 😊

Uncle f

Secondhand-catering-equipment.co.uk
Always have some chiller
Just an example below

Attachments

• 4194FBC6-B560-4306-A883-6835728DA79B.png
    4194FBC6-B560-4306-A883-6835728DA79B.png
    305.1 KB · Views: 73

MarkD123

Hi budd
All depends which part of Worcestershire you’re in as I’m near Malvern. You’re more than welcome to use my drinks fridge if you get stuck….. pm me if needed😉
That’s really kind of you thank you.
I’ll see if I can sort something out in the next week or so, but may well give you a pm if I’m still struggling at that point.
I’m only 30 mins or so from you.
Cheers

VSS

Maybe hire a mobile chiller unit.....? Wait a minute! I have the very thing......! :lol: :lol::lol:

rms364

Maybe hire a mobile chiller unit.....? Wait a minute! I have the very thing......! :lol: :lol::lol:

Bloody farmers. Always on the make!!😉😂

NickJ

Ok Gents (and ladies)…..
I’ve already done a search, and can’t locate anything in recent times that answers my question, so please forgive me for asking a ‘repeated question’.
I’ve usually stalked in the cooler months of the year, which enables me hang the carcass in my garage for several days.
But……….I’m going stalking in a couple of weeks and with temps as they are, obviously don’t want to hang any beasts in the garage at this time of year.
So my question, what’s the best and cheapest way to ‘solve’ the issue at this time of year?
I’m thinking £300 larder fridge or see if I can pick up a cheap second hand chiller off eBay (of which none are ‘cheap’ when I search).
Please understand that it’s going to be used maybe a couple of times a year only, and meat for personal consumption.
Any suggestions very great fully received.
Cheers
Try @sikadog on here

HDShark

I got this for 80 quid from a warehouse that deals in restaurant liquidations. Worth checking if there's something similar near you, before buying new.

Attachments

• IMG_1725.jpeg
    IMG_1725.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 46

Koenig

A couple of points, an ex-corner shop drinks chiller will do you for anything up to the big Fallows. Big Sika and Reds are just too big. I am afraid you have to keep a lookout on FB Marketplace or similar local buy/sell sites. They do come up periodically but tend to move fast. The chance of buying a duffer is high (as happened to my mate) they are then a pain to dispose of. If you get one for £100 that works - you’re doing welll in my experience. If you can get one with a built in fan that’s a bonus but not a showstopper as you can either rig one up from spare computer parts or get a kit from Bushwear. If looking at one try and figure out what you’ll do for a hanging frame. There are a number of options all of which are described on prior threads if you search. I got mine from a newsagent on eBay for £75. Works like a Swiss watch, but I get the impression I was lucky.