Chillers or drinks fridge?

wildfowler.250

Hi guys, thought I'd pick some brains on here if that's okay as I'm sure I'm not the only one in this possition. I shoot for own consumption so on average 6 deer a season. Lots of shotgun shooting as well. I'm fed up even into autumn not been able to hang deer for any decent length of time and in the summer it's a next day chop up. I could also double up with something for the feathered game.

Is there any 'new' brand of chiller you would recommend that would hold a stag or 1-2 hinds size? I'm also considering a second hand double door chiller but I've noticed that 1 or 2 have a partition in the middle. My main concern with the second hand drinks chillers is the lack of warranty and you generally don't know what you're buying / good faith.

What's the general opinions on here? Gamble on the drinks chiller and save a good bit hopefully or is there any 'new' options for sensible money?

Cheers!

The Singing Stalker

I have the double drinks chiller. They are cheap and if they need regas then. Maybe £60. A proper chiller costs a lot of money for only 6 deer.but if you have money to burn then why not. If you are only holding for 6 a year then do you need a double?

HappyHunter

Second hand chillers come up at good prices quite often (but some seem priced quite strongly). Regularly keep an eye on fb market place and eBay.

Just picked a second very similar to the attached for £40!

A little extra for a local fabricator to sort a frame and job done.

Taking the unknown element of second hand kit into account I'm happier running two as there's a bit of redundancy.

HH

Attachments

• IMG_20191004_152240.jpg
    IMG_20191004_152240.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 123

BP75

I had a secondhand drinks chiller which went on the blink and cost me a really nice carcass.
Took the plunge and got a Landig LU7000 and been delighted with it.
I got mine directly from Germany but post brexit you need to use the UK agent Coolgame.

baguio

Assuming you're talking English Reds (Don't know where you from as you haven't filled it out) then drinks chillers will not be up to the job and would be a total waste of your money. You need a proper deer chiller such as mentioned by BP75.

Tazz

With either option try and get one that has a built in air flow system, you may have to pay a bit more but it keeps your carcasses in better condition and keeps a more consistent temperature

badbob

A larder fridge is fine for roe and muntjac but too small for Reds or Fallow.
Every stalker who is bringing home deer needs a dedicated chiller /refrigerator of some sort.
So some investment is needed ,not a lot when you consider cost of rifles ,ammo, clothing ,equipment,stalking fees, etc.
Part of the outlay if you want to go beyond being a recreational stalker.

An occasional red or Fallow could be skinned and jointed and stored in a larder fridge.

Landig LU7000 is a good compromise rather than building a walk in chiller, depends how active you are in your stalking.

EssexBigMac

I’ve got an older single drinks fridge and do about the same as you but increasing every year. However sounds like you need a double at least. Keep a saved search on eBay and I’m sure you’ll find a working one for £100-£200

I remembered I watched this a while back watch from 4:45 apparently he picked up for a £100 this would be a treat if you had the space.

Last edited:

25 Sharps

I’ve got an older single drinks fridge and do about the same as you but increasing every year. However sounds like you need a double at least. Keep a saved search on eBay and I’m sure you’ll find a working one for £100-£200

I remembered I watched this a while back watch from 4:45 apparently he picked up for a £100 this would be a treat if you had the space.

Interesting choice of shooting position looking at the apparent lack of backstop!

ShootyBangBang

Ah, the thing to watch for is disposal. I bought I used one and it turns out it was faulty and not economical to repair. The vendor refunded me, but the local council (Reading) wanted £200+ to dispose of commercial waste! It was quite a trick to dispose of it legally, had to pull a few strings. So watch out for the cost of a lemon.

EssexBigMac

Keep it if you have the space. I turned an old one into an incubator for under £10. It was amazing watching the chicks hatch with the big glass door. Then sell it on when you’re bored 😉

wildfowler.250

Cheers gents! Brilliant replies and all very helpful. I don’t really need it for a red stag but figured if I was buying something it may as well be fit for purpose if I happened to shoot one,(could always joint it up).

Happy to pay for one as I feel it’s part of the required equipment but at the same time, a cheap second hand drinks one may do. Didn’t appreciate there may be disposing costs if it didn’t work..

I’ll have a look at some of the brands suggested above. If anyone else has any other experience or recommendations then that’s always appreciated

Cheers!