Chinese water deer fluke

deerstalker.308

That’s a pretty unpleasant amount of puss coming out of the nose you’ve cut (assuming I’m reading the picture correctly...)
I’d be questioning it personally

Buchan

What were the rest of the nodes like?
What I think I'm seeing is a mesenteric node with pus and what look like small abscesses in the liver. The liver itself does not look typical of fluke. Now in a young animal, that could just be reaction to new material in the gut, possible bacteria from birth. An adult, well it could be a penetration of the gut leading to the node abscess which then spreads to the liver. Or it could be TB, especially with that liquid appearance. I'd report it.
If the rest of the carcase is clear - ie all the other nodes, it's edible, but preferably not pink!

Reactions: VSS

paddy_wood01

What were the rest of the nodes like?
What I think I'm seeing is a mesenteric node with pus and what look like small abscesses in the liver. The liver itself does not look typical of fluke. Now in a young animal, that could just be reaction to new material in the gut, possible bacteria from birth. An adult, well it could be a penetration of the gut leading to the node abscess which then spreads to the liver. Or it could be TB, especially with that liquid appearance. I'd report it.
If the rest of the carcase is clear - ie all the other nodes, it's edible, but preferably not pink!
The rest of the nodes were as they should be, that one just pussed out, never seen anything like it before. The deer was young. The liver had those white dots over it and when sliced there was some white deeper in it too. So based on this you’d say the Venison should be fine?

Buchan

The rest of the nodes were as they should be, that one just pussed out, never seen anything like it before. The deer was young. The liver had those white dots over it and when sliced there was some white deeper in it too. So based on this you’d say the Venison should be fine?
It should be. ideally the infection is trapped by the draining lymph nodes, or the next bit of the chain, in this case the liver. If, however ANY of the other nodes are affected, consider the carcase unfit. Or if it doesn't set (ie go solid) in your fridge. One suspect node is usually allowed in routine meat hygiene.

Reactions: VSS

wytonpjs

Have they looked like the supplied photos Malc, because that doens't look like typical fuke to me - but I've not seen it in CWD
Agree - not like the flukes I've seen on Sika. It does have some resemblance to the Liver White Spot described on page 31 of the BDS Pocket Guide but that suggests its found only on Fallow and Red deer:-|

BEAR1

Just out of interest as I shoot a few CWD and have not come across this, what area of the country were you shooting ? I do most of mine in North Bucks/Beds area.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
No both mine where covered in white spots on the liver with what one might call pipe stems inside. On one of the beasts the mesenteric chain was in general ok, but one nodule was slightly swollen.
I am not a vet, or an expert on any of this, and this is only the third CWD I have had with what I would say is fluke. But I stand to be corrected by some of our members on here who are vets.

Buchan

Interesting, thanks. Pipe-stem bile duct is a response seen in cattle, the thickening reduces the impact of the fluke, a form of resiliance rather than immunity. The white spots may be scarring from fluke, but I'd have to see to be certain.

I've love to see pictures if anyone shooting CWD suspects it.

steve w

we have shot 42 CWD this season and i had one last month with a liver that looked like slight fluke .i have never seen it before ever .if i see it again i will take some photos .