Chopping 6.5 creed barrel

243lee

Had a quick look in search history but didnt really answer my question- unless i missed it
Basically i have a sako 75 in 6.5 creed, it has a sassen barrel and length of 24” from memory
As this is my client rifle i want it short, pointable and just to work, i appreciate at normal client stalking ranges there will be no difference what so ever but if i decide to knock a few longer range crows over or have a play with gongs out to 500-600yds will it be that much of a difference from a 24” barrel to 20”?
Ammo at present is hornady eldx 143gn.
I know nothing about custom barrels ie, if they are tight/fast but do know its tight chambered as i also have an R8 in 6.5 creed which is my own rifle and carries a pm2 ect so a bit heavy and unfair to dump on a guest without a lot of experience, but fired cases from the R8 will no were near chamber in my sako.
wondering what peoples real world experiences are.
I know i could shoot them side by side as i extend the ranges to see but for example if the sassen is tight and 20” it may shoot the same as myR8 with a 23” barrel?
also heard stories of certain barrels being choked so if i chopped 4” off the barrel would i regret this?

Muir

Tikka sold me a CTR with a 20 inch barrel. When I shoot steel, the 600 yard target is the one we check scope zero on before moving to the more distant targets. I have shot just over a half MOA a 775 yards, prone....
Does that help? ~Muir

Rewulf

The only thing you will lose is around 100-150 fps velocity, and if you reload for it , you may find you need to work a new load up.
You dont mention whether its screwcut or not ? Just make sure someone qualified does the job , as accuracy can be ruined if they make a mess of the crown , as I found out recently....

243lee

yes will be screw cut and wearing a mod.
Havent got time( or patience) to hand load so everything for all my rifles is factory ammo,
are sassens known for choking their barrels? Or as long as its done well by a competent smith, apart from a minimal amount of fps lost would it be just as accurate?
I do like shorter rifles, apart from my R8 which is shorter by design and my 30-06 which is 22” from memory everything else is cut off to 18”-20”, never noticed any loss of accuracy by doing this, if anything my .222 was more accurate after
Cheers

Rewulf

are sassens known for choking their barrels?
Very few rifles , or barrels for that matter are choked, I would be amazed if yours was.

I had 6 inch took off my 26 inch Rem .223, then another inch to make it right after a botched crown, if its any less accurate , I cant tell TBF.
It did lose around 200 fps though.

monarman

My tikka was rebarrelled with sassen cut 20 inch in 6.5 creedmoor..... shoots well and I use factory ammo...

borbal

Very few rifles , or barrels for that matter are choked, I would be amazed if yours was.
Pretty much all hand-lapped barrels will be slightly choked at the muzzle. I mean, a tenth of a thou or so. That is because the lap is (usually) cast at the chamber end, where it is 'fed' with grit so that is where the most work is done. But at the muzzle end, the lap is not completely withdrawn so it gets less lapping than the rest of the barrel.

Schultz & Larsen, of course, deliberately lap a choke of about one thou in their barrels. The Blackstar barrels from 20 years ago were also choked at the front. I believe Merkel hammer forged barrels made in Suhl in Germany also are deliberately choked.

Rewulf

Pretty much all hand-lapped barrels will be slightly choked at the muzzle. I mean, a tenth of a thou or so.
I won't argue, as you know far more about barrels than I, however 1 thou or so isn't really what the OP had in mind as 'choked' I would dare say?