Clarkson & strikers

rodkayak

I am sorry but I just had to laugh when I heard his comments. The only person I took exception to was the sanctimonous union official who wanted to take legal action. My wife is a teacher & went on strike with no pay. The private school where our son is educated was closed and would not give us a rebate. I am a GP and several NHS workers have come in wanting private sick notes (they were not sick) so that they could get paid whilst they were on strike. If you work for the NHS you get 6 months full pay & then 6 month 1/2 pay whilst on the sick.
I wonder how many self employed people reading this will get those same conditions ?

375 mag

I wonder how many self employed people declare all they earn ?

The last bricklayer i asked for a price wanted £50 an hour how many NHS staff get that ?

Mr Clarkson get paid a million pounds by the BBC i guess he wont need to worry about his pension ?

liamnjs

I'm public sector and I went to work. It makes me laugh that Clarkson's comments have caused hysteria but an endless tide of leftie comedians can pour scorn on rural folk from their comfortable BBC/C4 soapboxes without anyone raising an eyebrow.

Pointless hysteria......lads till coming home in coffins from Afganistan makes the reporting of this news completely irrelevant.

stalkinginengland

The last bricklayer i asked for a price wanted £50 an hour how many NHS staff get that ?

Mr Clarkson get paid a million pounds by the BBC i guess he wont need to worry about his pension ?
I dont know where you live but a brickie is about £15- £20 per hour round here. And as for the self employed well you want to try it.

The Seeker

I am sorry but I just had to laugh when I heard his comments. The only person I took exception to was the sanctimonous union official who wanted to take legal action. My wife is a teacher & went on strike with no pay. The private school where our son is educated was closed and would not give us a rebate. I am a GP and several NHS workers have come in wanting private sick notes (they were not sick) so that they could get paid whilst they were on strike. If you work for the NHS you get 6 months full pay & then 6 month 1/2 pay whilst on the sick.
I wonder how many self employed people reading this will get those same conditions ?
Good on you for taking it as it was meant :thumb:, it was a joke from Clarkson pure and simple it won't stop the do gooders wanting to have his shotguns taken way from him for saying the people striking should be shot.
What's the world coming to? We've got people who can't get a job, old people who can't afford to heat their home and brave lads and lasses fighting over seas. I just think there is more to be bothered about:tiphat:

timbrayford

Absolutely every penny is the short answer. Then you get investigated by HMRC regardless (I bet this doesn't happen to cosseted public sector workers) who on finding nothing irregular wth my books then invented a groundless allegation of undeclared cash earnings. Under HMRC rules the onus is on the taxpayer to prove HMRC wrong and not vice versa - I challenge 375 mag to prove that he hasn't just received £ 1000 in cash from me! Fortunately I was able to disprove the HMRC allegation but it was an extremely worrying 9 months once I realised that I was in severe danger of losing my savings, business and house.:evil:
Incidentally GP's are on over £100,000 a year - how many self employed earn that!

Moonraker68

I spent 12 years in the civil service, and I'm now a partner in a small firm....I know from speaking to my former colleagues who gets the better deal on pay/holiday/pension/flexi-time.....should never have left!

Clarkson is a class act as a wind-up merchant - looks like he had all those bleeding heart left-leaning 'social commentators' good and proper....:D

Last edited:

rodkayak

I earn £ 110,000 a year. I am very grateful for the money. I love my job and would do it for nothing, in fact when I retire I am going to work for nothing in the 3rd world. I would like to add that I pay £40,000 tax a year but between my 2 partners we have 30 years service and only 2 days sick leave. I was the one who went off sick after a chainsaw accident.

stalkinginengland

Absolutely every penny is the short answer. Then you get investigated by HMRC regardless (I bet this doesn't happen to cosseted public sector workers) who on finding nothing irregular wth my books then invented a groundless allegation of undeclared cash earnings. Under HMRC rules the onus is on the taxpayer to prove HMRC wrong and not vice versa - I challenge 375 mag to prove that he hasn't just received £ 1000 in cash from me! Fortunately I was able to disprove the HMRC allegation but it was an extremely worrying 9 months once I realised that I was in severe danger of losing my savings, business and house.:evil:
Incidentally GP's are on over £100,000 a year - how many self employed earn that!

Well said , I am about fed up with being told that because I am self employed I am on the fiddle. I have to work for every penny I make and there arnt many of those.
Do these public sector workers understand that they are costing this country money every time they stike? We are in this for the duration, no one should expect more during these times. They should be pleased to have any job at all. Kick them out I say and let someone in who wants the job.

Clarkson you are right even if it was a joke.

375 mag

The vast majority of public sector workers earn less than £15,000 a year you should be aiming your coments towards the top end of the scale the chief executives the MP's, Bankers etc lets all see how much of a bonus the bankers get for xmas if they dare anounce it !

Taff

Until three yrs ago I worked in the private sector, 3% my employer paid into my pension, 10days sick per yr allowed, never claimed a day in 15yrs.now I work for the county 13% paid into pension, 6 months sick pay and more holidays and days off than I can fit in, flexi time etc.
People in this country need to get real, do they not see what is happening in the rest of the world.
And for the record not one person in our department went on strike.

Last edited:

timbrayford

The vast majority of public sector workers earn less than £15,000 a year you should be aiming your coments towards the top end of the scale the chief executives the MP's, Bankers etc lets all see how much of a bonus the bankers get for xmas if they dare anounce it !
When my late mother retired from being an NHS district nurse in 1986 her final salary was £ 14500 pa, I presume from your comments that it can't have risen much since

arthursc

Those of you who know me are aware that I work in the public sector. I never took the day off. I will not join the union for the same reason as to why i went to work on Wednesday. Public Sector Pensions need reforming. My wife took the hit on her pensions and I did with my private pensions. So why can't the rest of the public sector.

I totally agree with the cuts.

Half of them are so institutionalised that they can't and will never see how well they are looked after.

For me it's a job. I do it well and fulfil what is required. I am professional, but my loyalty is with the family.

And when it comes to it, if I am not happy then I get a job somewhere else...but for those who went out on Wednesday they have the same choice. If you don't like it then get another job and make the sacrifice that the rest of the country has!!

oh and have they forgot that it was Labour who spent all their money and left the note in the treasure saying it's all gone.

ArthursC

Last edited:

timbrayford

Those of you who know me are aware that I work in the public sector. I never took the day off. I will not join the union for the same reason as to why i went to work on Wednesday. Public Sector Pensions need reforming. My wife took the hit on her pensions and I did with my private pensions. So why can't the rest of the public sector.

Half of them are so institutionalised that they can't and will never see how well they are looked after.

For me it's a job. I do it well and fulfil what is required. I am professional, but my loyalty is with the family.

And when it comes to it, if I am not happy then I get a job somewhere else...but for those who went out on Wednesday they have the same choice. If you don't like it then get another job and make the sacrifice that the rest of the country has!!

oh and have they forgot that it was Labour who spent all their money and left the note in the treasure saying it's all gone.

ArthursC
Well said :british:

devon deer stalker

ArthursC
Summed it up pretty well there mate, i also took a hit on my pension when i worked in the private sector, i was with a union at the time, but my union did not have blinkers on and realised that in its previous form it was impossible to sustain, and it was all dealt with amicably, no strike or any industrial action taken.
Cheers
Richard

The Seeker

ArthursC
Well said, remember wasn't it Mr Brown and labour who sold half of our gold reserves just before the price of gold doubled in price:doh:

sika seeker

I earn £ 110,000 a year. I am very grateful for the money. I love my job and would do it for nothing, in fact when I retire I am going to work for nothing in the 3rd world. I would like to add that I pay £40,000 tax a year but between my 2 partners we have 30 years service and only 2 days sick leave. I was the one who went off sick after a chainsaw accident.
i bet you will not be sharpening your pencil with the chain saw again!!:D

i watched Clarkson and he made me chuckle, these people need to realise it was a joke.