Cleaning brass

Jamsie

What wet tumblers are people using, any links would be much appreciated.
Have a gander on utube and see some of the tumblers that folks have made. I made my own from a plastic bucket, a windscreen washer motor and some rollers attached to a ply base and frame. Cost about 30 quid and works an absolute treat. I use some citric acid crystals, a dishwasher tablet and a squirt of Fairy liquid along with the brass and SS pins. Run it for an hour and the brass looks brand new inside and out.

Jamsie

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
Hi @25 Sharps,

What did you use to counteract the water hardness? (I see your not far from me)

They look very good. I never managed get them that shiny using wet.

25 Sharps

Hi @25 Sharps,

What did you use to counteract the water hardness? (I see your not far from me)

They look very good. I never managed get them that shiny using wet.
Hi @csl

I had the bright (for me) idea of using the rainwater out of the water butt on the shed! Plus a bit of washing up liquid and citric acid then rinsed with more rainwater.

I do give them a roll around in a towel to dry the outsides before drying them on the oven or in the rad too.

Last edited:

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
Nice! :thumb:

What stainless are you using? From memory I was using Thumler's own stainless pins. They were very effective at getting the crap off but giving a shine... not so much!

hendrix's rifle

Supplementary caution to using washing machine without the War Office knowledge. After slow drying efforts I decided to use the tumbledryer (still in the coin bag) worked really well until a day or so later when the WO noticed a very metallic sound coming from the tumbledryer. Under extreme torture and interrogation (you know the form chaps) I confessed to my sin and promised to sort it out. Much sweat and lost knuckle skin later I found not a gleaming .308 case but a sodding mysterious piece of wire which was actually the "underwiring" (no - I didn't know either chaps) from the WO's bra! Needless to say the proverbial eyelid wasn't batted when I revealed the cause of the noise - merely "I wondered where that had gone" and a sudden change of subject. Learning point - confess to nothing chaps - especially when it comes to the use of anything even remotely close to the WO. You have been warned!!
I got asked to check out our tumble dryer because of a metallic noice, upon dissembly i found a couple of 22lr cases that had been knocking about... she wasn't happy but I'm amazed they made it through the wash and then into the dryer

25 Sharps

Nice! :thumb:

What stainless are you using? From memory I was using Thumler's own stainless pins. They were very effective at getting the crap off but giving a shine... not so much!
@csl

pan on the left is gun tap stainless pins, on the right is diamond shot. Much prefer the latter, clean better but the gun tap pins are .255”, I shoot a .257, 2x 6.5s so they get stuck in the case mouth, also the perfect length to jam inside the base of a .22H case. The diamond poor out a lot easier, I was going to buy some more last week but the postage is silly now!

02A3E4B6-10C6-44A2-8FA6-D6CF4F04B389.png781BE3FE-D359-40CC-AB80-671A50BBB8F1.png

MarinePMI

Another additive that people are using for wet tumbling, is car wash detergent with a polymer wax. It cleans just as well as regular dish detergent, but leaves a coating that prevents tarnishing and water spots (which can happen with hard water, even when adding dish washing machine no spots additives).

25 Sharps

Another additive that people are using for wet tumbling, is car wash detergent with a polymer wax. It cleans just as well as regular dish detergent, but leaves a coating that prevents tarnishing and water spots (which can happen with hard water, even when adding dish washing machine no spots additives).

Any risk of wax build up in the chamber?

Uncle f

I just ultrasonic clean using sea clean 2 and then leave out to drain and dry. Then tumble in corn cob and a fanny full of Brasso. Job done

vpk999

I tumble my brass for an hour with the Frankford Arsenal Tumbler Frankford Arsenal 2001159-SSI Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Rotary Tumbler Kit - Multi, N/A: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors, adding half a teaspoon of citric acid powder, a little bit of washing up liquid and warm water. I then separate out the pins with the Frankford Arsenal Separator Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Wet/Dry Media Separator with Perforated Sifter and Mesh Media Strainer for Reloading: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors. I then dry the brass with the Vonshef food dehydrator VonShef 5 Tier Food Dehydrator - Large Stainless Steel Food Dryer with Adjustable Temperature Control – Great for Creating Healthy Snacks: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home I tend to do 400 to 500 cases at a time, with the batches separated by how many times they have been fired. I also leave the wet stainless steel pins in the tumbler for the next time as mine don't go rusty, despite what some people claim.

Alantoo

i thought brasso was a bad idea, the ammonia in it attacks the brass?

It is, it can.

Ammonia precipitates stress corrosion cracking. But the clue is in the description...stress...so a good reason to anneal your case necks. Case head separation may be accelerated by it.

Even atmospheric ammonia can be sufficient to get the reaction going.

The best reason for not using Brasso however is that there are much better polishes than Brasso that do not contain ammonia...the Autosol range for instance.

Alan

Last edited: