Cleaning kit for .223

dawnbreaker

Alright guys, any advice on the best value cleaning kits for a tikka t3 223 in the 50 quid range to get me started, I intend to build a half decent kit over time

Cheers

Ken

404Shooter

I use the VFG system with Ballistol. Alan Rhône have made a YouTube video to demonstrate it but it works very well for me.

8x57

Distinguished Member
Alright guys, any advice on the best value cleaning kits for a tikka t3 223 in the 50 quid range to get me started, I intend to build a half decent kit over time

Cheers

Ken
As it's only a half decent kit that you are looking for have a look at Decathlon. Small Bore Firearm Cleaning Kit :) (I have them in 6mm, 7mm, and 9mm)

Actually they are not bad to keep in you shooting bag for travelling but for regular use at home I would look at the Protec, Parker Hale or Dewey rods. Good kit isn't that expensive.

dawnbreaker

As it's only a half decent kit that you are looking for have a look at Decathlon. Small Bore Firearm Cleaning Kit :) (I have them in 6mm, 7mm, and 9mm)

Actually they are not bad to keep in you shooting bag for travelling but for regular use at home I would look at the Protec, Parker Hale or Dewey rods. Good kit isn't that expensive.
Cheers lad I've also been looking at the tetra value pro stuff from 1967spud any idea if its ok

8x57

Distinguished Member
Cheers lad I've also been looking at the tetra value pro stuff from 1967spud any idea if its ok
I wouldn't bother with the Tetra Pro kit other than as a kit to keep in my truck or shooting bag even if it only costs £20, (the Decathlon kit costs only costs a fraction of the price). Tetra Value Pro III Rifle Cleaning Kit

Get yourself a good one piece rod and suitable jags and brushes from one of the reputable manufacturers along with a suitable CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Protection). It won't really cost all that much and you will eventually land up needing a decent set up anyway. A cheap three piece rod is O.K. short term or for travel but you might as well start off right.

dawnbreaker

I wouldn't bother with the Tetra Pro kit other than as a kit to keep in my truck or shooting bag even if it only costs £20, (the Decathlon kit costs only costs a fraction of the price). Tetra Value Pro III Rifle Cleaning Kit

Get yourself a good one piece rod and suitable jags and brushes from one of the reputable manufacturers along with a suitable CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Protection). It won't really cost all that much and you will eventually land up needing a decent set up anyway. A cheap three piece rod is O.K. short term or for travel but you might as well start off right.
Cheers ill have a wee look now, aye and your right cost more in the long run cheers 👍👍

Steff

Get it right the first time.
One-piece carbon cleaning rod from Tipton, Dewey bronze and nylon brushes (the dozen pack makes sense), calibre specific jag from whomever (8-32 male thread like the brushes to fit the Tipton rod) and cotton flannel patches from Brownell‘s.

8x57

Distinguished Member
Well the three kits that I have (6mm, 7mm and 9mm) definitely all have phosphor bronze brushes.
The only time that I would consider using a steel brush was back in the good old days when we used special short stainless steel brushes for cleaning the cylinder forcing cones on revolvers.

Steff

Well the three kits that I have (6mm, 7mm and 9mm) definitely all have phosphor bronze brushes.
The only time that I would consider using a steel brush was back in the good old days when we used special short stainless steel brushes for cleaning the cylinder forcing cones on revolvers.
All the better 👍.
But what do you do with just one bronze brush? After about the 10th cleaning it‘ll be worn down to an extent that it is more or less useless. Therefore my plea is to get a rod that will accept inexpensive brushes such as the Dewey ones. Brushes are wear and tear material, not a one time investment.

8x57

Distinguished Member
All the better 👍.
But what do you do with just one bronze brush? After about the 10th cleaning it‘ll be worn down to an extent that it is more or less useless. Therefore my plea is to get a rod that will accept inexpensive brushes such as the Dewey ones. Brushes are wear and tear material, not a one time investment.
I made a mistake, I don't have four sets of the Decathlon brushes/mops I actually have five. I forgot that I also have 8mm too.
But as I said earlier I only use these as a travelling kit and a good one piece rod is definitely the way to go.

I don't know if Decathlon have changed the supplier of their cleaning kits since I purchased mine some years ago, (the nylon brushes in your link are also a different colour to mine). The details on the boxes to my kits indicate an Italian company. When I looked that company up on the internet they indicated that they supply cleaning kits to NATO and several gun companies.
As for replacing worn items in the Decathlon kits, the 6mm (.22) rod is smaller than the other kits and I don't have anything else that is interchangeable with it so replacements will have to come from Decathlon but they're cheap enough. The larger Decathlon cleaning rod will accept Parker Hale fittings so no real problems there.

Daddy The Skunk

For use in the field or home? I carry a jointed steel rod kit for use while hunting and the the rifle is my 204 a coated rod and the required brushes, solvent patches ect
. All that is in my other kit. My only pull through is reserved for the Ruger Ranch Rifle. What I wont use is jointed aluminum rods, easy to bend and grit sticks.

nic531

decathlon in uk had stopped selling hunting kit