Cleaning my rifle

alanb

Hi all, I am wanting to know if there is a top tip on which barrel cleaner to use for removing carbon deposits and copper fouling in my .243 Tikka?

I bore snake usually after every outing and recently wanted to clean my barrel as my groupings arent the best recently. Ive been told a decent 1 piece rode with brass brushes and hoppes No.9, then jag with patches until clean, is that correct?

What about the foaming stuff you can buy?

regards
A

aaronbott

A decent jag, nylon NOT brass brush and c2r is what I'm using with great results
and would recommend a bore guide no matter what system of cleaning you go for

Toxster

Snake for the range
One piece coated rod
All metal Bore Guide - avoid the plastic collared ones like Gunslick...plastic nose cone is ok
Pointy Spear Jag
small round patches - reduces folding and jamming
Hoppes for general cleaning
KG12 for copper
Nylon brush - the KG12 is tough enough

Top tip...the 200 round plastic bags that come with 7.62 make handy stock covers to protect whilst cleaning.

Last edited:

VSS

Snake for the range
One piece coated rod
All metal Bore Guide - avoid the plastic collared ones like Gunslick...plastic nose cone is ok
Pointy Spear Jag
small round patches - reduces folding and jamming
Hoppes for general cleaning
KG12 for copper
Nylon brush - the KG12 is tough enough

Top tip...the 200 round plastic bags that come with 7.62 make handy stock covers to protect whilst cleaning.

Can someone please advise me what the plastic nose cone is supposed to do? Got one in my cleaning kit, and I use as per instructions, but can't see that it's actually serving any purpose.

Toxster

It's just to allow the tube to fit multiple calibres.

I have an Anschutz guide for my match Anschutz, fits like a glove. If only all manufacturers could sell rifle specific ones....

jimsim

I use wipe out and accelerator with a one piece rod , nylon brush and jag and patches, watch the wipeout cleaning video on you tube its a guy of this site. I follow his process and work s really well worth a look fella.

Ade8mm

A decent jag, nylon NOT brass brush and c2r is what I'm using with great results
and would recommend a bore guide no matter what system of cleaning you go for

Oh. Should I stop shooting jacketed bullets at 2,900 + ?