Club/Range somewhere between Oxford and Southampton (...Bisley?)

oxfordshirestalker

Hi All,

I'm just getting my bits and bobs together for my .243 variation and it got me thinking:
In September I'm off to medical school meaning I'll be all over the place for the next 5-10 years. This may mean that I struggle to hold shooting permission well at certain busy times. I was therefore thinking about joining a HO approved club for target type things so that I won't have to sell up completely if I end up with no land before I'm settled (Seems like a shame to lose everything in the interim).

Home is Oxfordshire but I'll be in Southampton, does anyone know of any decent centrefire ranges/clubs between the two?
I had been considering Bisley, not outrageously far from either. Does anyone have any experience of using the ranges as an NRA member? I'm a bit confused about this - is the NRA itself a home office approved club? Or do you have to be a member of another club which uses the NRA facilities at Bisley? Pretty sure I understand it but feel as though I'm getting myself tied up in knots!

The three calibres I'll need to be able to use are: .22Lr, .17HMR and .243Win.

Many thanks!

Jagdmatch

British Sporting Rifle Club. You need to join the NRA as well but there may be discounts for students.

stubear

Yep plus one on that - BSRC.

I think they're about the only place at Bisley you can join and use all your hunting kit, not sure if there are any other clubs which allow the use of stalking rifles for competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TH4

You can use all your hunting rifles at bisley as a member of the NRA. The only facility that it does not have is a running boar range. If you can live without that, why pay for two memberships. The only day they don't shoot is on a Monday. If you want some advice or want to come down and have a look around pm me.

Trevor

whatwouldscoobydoo

Yep plus one on that - BSRC.

I think they're about the only place at Bisley you can join and use all your hunting kit, not sure if there are any other clubs which allow the use of stalking rifles for competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most clubs will let you use a fullbore rifle you are comfortable shooting. My 6.5x55 is on my licence for deer and target and my 22lr does bunnies and indoor 25m

Join the NRA do the probationary course then join bsrc so you have range expedience and a fanilir with protocol.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

oxfordshirestalker

Thanks everyone!
Just to clear up some confusion in my own head - Does the NRA count as a home office approved club? I'm not fussed about boar or anything like that, just a decent 100m range such as the short siberia one (I think...?) Would ideally get away without paying two memberships! Corinium looks to be an interesting option.
Thanks again

JTO

Do you mean a club that is licensed to hold firearms, thinking you will/may need to store your weapons somewhere?

Oracle

If you are a BASC member and hold an FAC, the SE Region holds 5 range days at Bisley during the year, using the facilities at BSRC. If you attend one of these range days you can also be assessed for a Safe Shooter Certification card. This will allow you to shoot at certain Bisley/other MOD ranges which you can book through BASC SE region.

Orion

I was more thinking a home office approved club for if I wanted to have a "target" condition on my FAC
Thanks
Don't forget that the current condition for quarry use now also includes the wording "and for zeroing-practice on ranges", so unless you want to enter pukka competitions it will cover use of your rifle(s) on ranges.

kennyc

Thanks everyone!
Just to clear up some confusion in my own head - Does the NRA count as a home office approved club? I'm not fussed about boar or anything like that, just a decent 100m range such as the short siberia one (I think...?) Would ideally get away without paying two memberships! Corinium looks to be an interesting option.
Thanks again
it would be worth your while to look at the club Boydy linked to, we shoot at Bisley once a month and are home office approved, the NRA is also Home office approved and their club is free to NRA members however it can become costly to rent targets if you are on your own, we pay a share of the range costs based on how many attend a shoot, it runs from £5-20 with the average in the low teens, it is quite possible to run through 60-100 CF rounds in that time if you apply yourself, and we run a McQueens comp 3-4 times a year, our next shoot is 21st May.

TheRealChuckNorris

Itchen Valley Shooting Club is based in Winchester, has its own indoor .22 and air ranges then also shoots up at Moody's and Bisley for the larger stuff. Good bunch but popularity means waiting lists can be long.