Clutch replacement on 2009 Mazda BT-50 (aka Ford Ranger)

nun_hunter

My 2009 Mazda BT-50 has just over 100k miles on it and I'm sure a clutch replacement is due reasonably soon so I have been doing a little look into replacement costs.

First place I called said £1300 for replacing clutch, release bearing and dual mass flywheel! Bearing in mind the clutch on my wife's focus was £400 all in at a main dealer last year I was a little surprised at the cost.

From looking at kits online they seem to start around £300 without the dual mass flywheel and north of £700 with it. I'm a reasonably competent mechanic with basic tools but not sure if this is beyond me to do at home or if £1300 is the going rate?

Has anyone done this themselves or been quoted considerably cheaper or had experience replacing the DMF with a solid one? This seems like a cheaper option but possibly at the cost of increased vibration and discomfort?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

cyberstag

I think I paid about that price fro a reconditioned gearbox and the clutch together. You need to shop around a bit more. Has yours started jumping out of 5th gear?

nun_hunter

I think I paid about that price fro a reconditioned gearbox and the clutch together. You need to shop around a bit more. Has yours started jumping out of 5th gear?
No there are no issues yet but I am preparing for the next year or so and budgeting for it. I don't think it'll be too far off though. I tried the Ford garage assuming they'd have plenty of rangers in and the Mazda uses the same engine and gearbox but the lady on the phone was less than helpful.

paul o'

I done mine I used an LUK clutch kit its around £300 + I hired a ramp got a pal to help and its done for well under £500 . or Mr clutch .

andyk

As someone who also likes to do work on my own car, I tend to think a clutch is beyond me, certainly without garage equipment.

You will almost certainly need to drop the subframe and bell housing, which is (a) heavy, and (b) big. To my mind you need a ramp and something/someone to help lower those parts.

When I had a clutch and flywheel changed on a previous Mondeo I think it was about a grand, but it was a few years ago.

Personally, I’d get the flywheel done at the same time (you could go solid) but you don’t want to have all that labour done to then have the flywheel go.