Cold Smoker

Erik Hamburger

Does anyone use the Pro q cold smoker in the link below. Is it any good? I know that the more expensive ones are going to be better but I may only use it once.

Yes, I have used the Pro Q Cold smoker for a few years, works just fine. I have got an old metal dustbin with lid and put an old plastic crate inside on which I can place my racks with the food. The Pro Q Smoker lives on the bottom of that dustbin. You want to try to keep the food well away from the smoker so the food doesn't get too warm; and as I do this outside I only smoke in Winter with low outside temperature (It wouldn't be smart to 'cold'-smoke a piece of fish or meat for 8-12 hours if the outside temperature is above 7C.)

NoIDeer

Just done 4 sides of salmon with one. Three runs with oak powder approx 20 - 25 hrs gives the most lovely flavour.
I use a steel box approx 3 cubic feet, with leaky seals.

Make sure the weather is cold for the duration, the prep can take a while before you start smoking.

kieran222

That's good, so I can have a go before investing too much.
What do you guys smoke that can be cooked later, e.g. steak, etc. How long do you smoke for?

stalker.308

Fish, steak, bacon (I know you can buy it smoked but its so much better to do it yourself).

I love to bung cheese in it, so good. Sometimes not even a need to create smoke, it just sucks it in from my smoker.
That's good, so I can have a go before investing too much.
What do you guys smoke that can be cooked later, e.g. steak, etc. How long do you smoke for?

griff

Smoked Garlic, Smoked Eggs, Smoked Pigeon Breasts the list is endless, if you decide to smoke cheese then use a fruit wood like apple or pear, oak tends to be a bit bitter.
The colder the smoke the better, use a remote smoke box if possible, Aluminium ducting is good as a smoke transfer, if there is any moisture in the sawdust or air it condenses inside the pipe.

willie_gunn

You can add garlic and salt to the foods that are worth smoking. Smoked garlic, in particular, is excellent.

Edit: griff beat me to it on the garlic!

NoIDeer

Smoked Garlic, Smoked Eggs, Smoked Pigeon Breasts the list is endless, if you decide to smoke cheese then use a fruit wood like apple or pear, oak tends to be a bit bitter.
The colder the smoke the better, use a remote smoke box if possible, Aluminium ducting is good as a smoke transfer, if there is any moisture in the sawdust or air it condenses inside the pipe.

That's the beauty of these pro q gadgets, the heat front is so small the heat is irrelevant and you can have the smoker in the same box as the food.

kieran222

How long should I smoke venison steaks or joints using the Pro q smoker. The smoking is just to add a different flavour as I will be cooking them later, so it isn't for curing.