cold weather coming to the UK

UK Outfitters

Bavarianbrit

I purchased two sets of snow chains (front & rear) for my Defender 15 years ago. I’ve put them on twice and actually driven on them once! Didn’t get far either before having to take them off.

May try and sell them along with the ice auger!

Just don’t seem to have hard Winters down here in the South anymore and snow even less.

K
In Kent winter tyres are no use as the streets will be blocked by fast driving ejits on summer tyres sticking out of the side banks when there is a flurry of the stuff.

reiver

we had -4 on Friday night and a lovely crisp sunny day yesterday just the job for a bit of rough shooting on the fell .
Back to grey and damp today though

WH308

I’d happily take a bit of cold, crisp and clear over the damp murky, hanging sort of weather we’ve had for the weekend here. We have lived her for 5 years now and only once have we had weather bad enough to cut the village off from civilisation. I had to rescue a couple of neighbours on the tractor, it was powder snow and it blew off the fields and filled the lanes to the top of the hedges.

Attachments

• 79382F03-D9CF-42CB-9B74-8B24BEE0FD5B.jpeg
    79382F03-D9CF-42CB-9B74-8B24BEE0FD5B.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 30
  • EDD95276-8F3F-459D-8FC7-2843826393C0.jpeg
    EDD95276-8F3F-459D-8FC7-2843826393C0.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 0DCA07A5-FAE5-4EA8-8C5D-C0704981FCA6.jpeg
    0DCA07A5-FAE5-4EA8-8C5D-C0704981FCA6.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 30

spannulman

I will get my sheepskin suit out then.
Not cheap but everybody I have met who used one says this is the best there is, I bought mine two years ago just before the mild winters came along so only have tried it on so far.
The price brings tears to your eyes, then those tears will freeze up.

That stuff looks like the proper job, although I’d be soaked in sweat just walking to my stand. Like green version of ww2 flying suits. Does the bulk of the jacket affect shooting? I guess not or people wouldn’t buy them.

Personally I like the Siberian coat, it would go well with the baggy riding breeches and leather jagdstiefel I stalk in.

my snow purchase was an £8 Bundeswehr snow poncho. White sheet with brown brush marked blotches on it. I bought it on eBay the day after I last stalked in snow, thinking it would be the bee‘s knees. This was in 2014/15. I haven’t been stalking in snow since! It is still in my car in spare wheel well, waiting to be aired.

Finch

we had -4 on Friday night and a lovely crisp sunny day yesterday just the job for a bit of rough shooting on the fell .
Back to grey and damp today though
Tried lamping rabbits on snow. Thought it would be easier but couldn't see a thing because the snow scatters the light. You might as well not have it on. Bit better with red light but not much.

FrenchieBoy

One line of thought is would a really good and prolonged cold snap help to kill of this wretched Covid Virus?
I don't know but we can hope!

Freeforester

I'm thinking of moving to Aberdeenshire next year. I'm looking for a little place out in the sticks in the strip of rolling country between the Cairngorms and the A96 Aberdeen to Elgin road. Sort of Alford, Rhynie, Dufftown area. I reckon I should see some proper winters up there.

You'll be about the right place then, I'll sell you mine, lol! 2010-11 we had it white for 3 months, down to -22°, and half the out buildings in the district collapsed under the weight of snow. Rabbit damage on trees 15' up, they'd bent double under the weight of snow, and there wasn't anything for the poor beggars to eat, they died in their thousands in the Cabrach.

You'll love it! 🤣

ps the frost hardly lifted here all day.

Limpet

I don't put too much store in Met Office long term predictions ............ but ye ol' folklore say a cold winter after a Mast autumn ...... so maybe :oops:

Finch

You'll be about the right place then, I'll sell you mine, lol! 2010-11 we had it white for 3 months, down to -22°, and half the out buildings in the district collapsed under the weight of snow. Rabbit damage on trees 15' up, they'd bent double under the weight of snow, and there wasn't anything for the poor beggars to eat, they died in their thousands in the Cabrach.

You'll love it! 🤣

ps the frost hardly lifted here all day.
Probably best to buy a renovation house then, and stick a bit of extra insulation in..
I'm told you get less severe cold closer to the coast but lots of freezing fog for weeks on end..

TBH, as long as I know what the weather is like and buy (or renovate) accordingly, I can live with it. The bigger question is how it affects earning a living. I'm prepared to cast my net a bit wider if necessary.

Night Vision Store