Colorado Elk - 1st rifle season

PSE Composites Limited

Dick darstardly

Epic to say the least. Be interesting to see or know how you packed all the meat out, I'm guessing you cut up into primals then the processor did the rest. Great pics again.its definitely something I keep telling myself to do in the near future sooner rather than later.
We were able to get our 4 wheeler within 500 yards of where he fell. Took us 4 hours to clear the path for the 4 wheeler with two stream crossings but made lighter work than a full pack out. He was up a steep incline so we were able to remove the head and field dress and drag (slide at times) him down keeping him intact. Means we managed to get a lot more meat at the processors.

Dick darstardly

Driving 36 hours into new country and actually bagging one! Outstanding! This was no accident, I know you must have put a lot of work into planning and research, kudos to you.
Thank you sir. Lots of prep for sure. Mainly consisting of reading / watching elk related stuff (partly to get accustomed to seeing them moving / bugling to normalize it as much as possible for a fenland boy), fitness to deal with the altitude (I am at 0ft and we hunted between 8-10,000ft and shooting longer distances. We have a 600 yard range close by and was up there couple weekends a month to get used to different shooting positions. I am not the best shot out there but got comfortable shooting a 8" steel plate free hand at 200 yards, 300 off sticks and 600 prone. Was never going to take a 600 yard shot but nice mentally to feel i have it in the bag for the 2-300 yard shot when it presented itself.

25 Sharps

Being a brit living in the US, I have tried to embrace the many, many big game hunting opportunities this country affords its residents. As such, last month I got to realize a long time held ambition, to hunt elk on public land in Colorado. As you can see from the pictures it was a sensational experience. Hard hunting indeed, years of planning and work went into the trip. We drove from home (Florida) 36 hours to north west Colorado and got to it. High elevation, lots of miles covered, lots of encounters with elk and i was blessed enough to take this bull with a 280 yard shot with my .270 (150 grain power point) 3 days into our 5 day hunt. Thankfully I took the bottom of his heart and he laid where he was shot. 4 1/2 hours later we had him off the mountain side and on route to the processors. They turned him round in less than 24 hours including the skull mount! The 36 hour drive home felt like a labor of love :) Archery during the rut next year!
Awesome, well done

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing