Commission rifles

rem284

I think .270 is the minimum for night shooting.
It used to be part of the terms of the night shooting license. However it was changed so any legal cartridge for shooting deer during daylight hours can now be used when a night shooting license is being used. This makes more sense to me. At one time my main stay rifle was a 25-06 but because of the way the license rules were it meant at night I was forced to use a 270. Nothing wrong with the 270 but the 25-06 I had was so sweet it was like it was just an extension of my mind.

NickJ

When I was with them .270 nationwide.

In England and Wales Norman Healy the Wildlife Officer preferred .308 (ex military so he knew the calibre maybe?) and being bigger than the .270 I guess helped with the newer issue of boar in the Forest of Dean so they switched to that. He has just retired.

I think FLS now have more pragmatism than south of the border.

NickJ

When I was with them .270 nationwide.

In England and Wales Norman Healy the Wildlife Officer preferred .308 (ex military so he knew the calibre maybe?) and being bigger than the .270 I guess helped with the newer issue of boar in the Forest of Dean so they switched to that. He has just retired.

I think FLS now have more pragmatism than south of the border.

PerdixUK

Apologies for the hijack here but can someone more in the know tell me about Forestry Commission stalking? Is it only provided to business etc? How does one get hold of some?

NickJ

Apologies for the hijack here but can someone more in the know tell me about Forestry Commission stalking? Is it only provided to business etc? How does one get hold of some?
If you mean guided then - unless it has changed in the last few years day/week permits for stalking accompanied (by a Wildlife Ranger) are only available to individuals not businesses (agents.) The best route is to write to the 'Wildlife Ranger Manager' at the Forest District Office for the area you are interested in. If you mean leases then it the WRM is a good place to start and they will direct you to the latest government portal.

rem284

If you mean guided then - unless it has changed in the last few years day/week permits for stalking accompanied (by a Wildlife Ranger) are only available to individuals not businesses (agents.) The best route is to write to the 'Wildlife Ranger Manager' at the Forest District Office for the area you are interested in. If you mean leases then it the WRM is a good place to start and they will direct you to the latest government portal.
In recent years all accompanied stalking has been stopped in Scotland. However as you say above it is worth contacting the wrm to see if anything is available. Even if there is nothing available your enquiry will show there is a demand for it.

NickJ

In recent years all accompanied stalking has been stopped in Scotland. However as you say above it is worth contacting the wrm to see if anything is available. Even if there is nothing available your enquiry will show there is a demand for it.
Aye but I think not so in Englandshire, at least I know someone who was guided on roebucks in Sussex only a couple of years back, but maybe it was longer than that ago

Waz77

Aye but I think not so in Englandshire, at least I know someone who was guided on roebucks in Sussex only a couple of years back, but maybe it was longer than that ago
Last time I spoke to our local ranger I got the impression there was no recreational stalking available anymore, mainly due the volume of general public meant it wasn't worth the hassle, I may be wrong though

rem284

Aye, I wasnae sure if the OP was askin aboot Englandshire or no. So I just put on aboot Scotland

slider

Forestry and Land Scotland (formally FCS) standard ranger rifle is .270, although other calibres are used if circumstances dictate.

slider

Last time I spoke to our local ranger I got the impression there was no recreational stalking available anymore, mainly due the volume of general public meant it wasn't worth the hassle, I may be wrong though
Most FLS deer management is done by in house rangers or contractors but they do let out some recreational deer management permissions.
No guided stalking.