Confused over night/day scope!

Jimbob39

Help! I wish to purchase a scope for night and day use after foxing the other night with a mates expensive setup and thermal system. I can not justify thousands, however I feel I can stretch to 600 tops for a dual purpose scope. It will be used for rats and rabbits on my .22 rf and also on the .22-250 for foxes. I have seen ATN and pard do a dual scope but I am more confused the more I read! Some reviews are great and other are shocking! Any advice for a newbie to this game!

Tulloch

I would suggest for the budget you have to get an older Yukon Photon XT 6.5x50 and get yourself a Deben Tracer IR400 off ebay for around £60 the whole package should not cost you more than £500 and you will be sorted for a good long while like I was.

Remember you cannot use anything like that to shoot deer in Scotland day or night.

Kgreg

Pard 007 there’s been some used ones gone for under £300, add to that a couple of side focus scopes, and swop the pard between the guns. My mate finds the hawk scopes ok I use Mambas...you’ll see the benefit of a laser ir over 150yds.

leeward

For £600 , baby stac Moa ret , pard 007 & vscel illumiator , good value scope in daytime usage , fit the addon when needed, from rats to foxes....

Mista Shot

Good evening Jimbob39 , should you decide to go for a Photon as suggested above , I have a Photon XT 6.5X50 S
unused and in mint condition still boxed. Also a cantilever Yukon SW-30 Rifle Mount also unused. The scope cost me 425 pounds and the mount 69.90 pounds.I would like 280 pounds for both, If you are interested please pm me. Cheers John.

riflerob

Set of Warne QD mounts, and 2 sets of rings - approx £100

Your existing day scope, and a second-hand Yukon Photon for £300 or so

Day scope on when you want it, NV scope on when you want it. Perfect repeatability for switching over and keeping zero. If you're shooting rabbits under 100 yards, foxes under 200 yards, it's all you'll need.
Personally, I won't take any long shots at foxes at night (and I count 'long' as anything over 150 yards or so), because it starts to get very easy to get distances wrong.

FISH BOY

Used a Pard 008 the other day and was quite impressed with it in daylight. Going to be hard to beat cost wise

Personally I have put a Minox X5I with parallax on the 22.250 for legal quarry in day light hours and a Hawke Sidewinder on the rimmy.

Then run the Pard 007 after dark getting the best out of both worlds.

mereside

I have a modded photon xt which is decent, i have used a pard 08 and a yukon sightline which i set up the other night which seemed really good so that will be interesting to test them all against each other, regards wayne

mealiejimmy

+1 for the PARD NV008
It's far and away the best bang for your buck day/night scope
The Wraith is a big heavy lump that eats batteries and has a horrible wide screen display that will do your head in.
The Photon is good at night but poor for daytime work.
The ATNs are better during the daytime, but not as good at night unless you use a bucketload of IR, plus they have a terrible reputation for reliability and back up.
You can definitely get a new 008 for way less than £600. Most sellers will give you at least 10% off their advertised price if you ask nicely.

Cheers

Bruce

Ryan f

evening jimbob i use the pard on my 204 and rimmy 204 has the mamba scope on it and it works perfect at night with the dragon fly ir and with the rimmy i just use the on board ir for the cost of a pard u cant beat it only ever looked through a photon so really cant comment it for use but know guys that use them with great effect

Mista Shot

Good evening Jimbob39 , should you decide to go for a Photon as suggested above , I have a Photon XT 6.5X50 S
unused and in mint condition still boxed. Also a cantilever Yukon SW-30 Rifle Mount also unused. The scope cost me 425 pounds and the mount 69.90 pounds.I would like 280 pounds for both, If you are interested please pm me. Cheers John.
Apologies, Correction. Found invoice for scope earlier today it was 375 not 425 as stated above.
So 50 pounds off original asking price.

iain b

Just got back from one of my perms. 6 dead bunnies. Found 4 all with a .17hmr Annie 1517,a pard nv008 & a laserluchs 500 ir. All at 100 yards plus. Can see out past 200 yards plus. Still getting used to both the pard and the rifle. But very happy with both.

philip

I would suggest for the budget you have to get an older Yukon Photon XT 6.5x50 and get yourself a Deben Tracer IR400 off ebay for around £60 the whole package should not cost you more than £500 and you will be sorted for a good long while like I was.

Remember you cannot use anything like that to shoot deer in Scotland day or night.
yep
The xt photon is a good buy and won’t let you down, they’re not the best day scope, but if you set them up right with a decent IR they’re ok at night out to 200 yds for what they cost they punch above their weight

if you buy a IR get one with a variable illumination and beam adjuster to flood and pinpoint it avoids white out at short range through grass and bushes