Considering something to bash my gong.

DavyG

I’m at the “what’ll I get” stage at the moment. If you were to get a rifle for a bit of the above, which calibre would you get?
I’m well past the paper punching stage, just fancy something for rattling plates @ 400 - 600m.
I’m kinda leaning towards .308 with a bit of weight to it...
Ideas lads & lassies...?
DG

.45-something in a Quigley gun
.300 Whisper/Blackout in an AR
.308 in whatever

Last edited:
Go with a 223 - Gong bashing is addictive and you burn through ammo. Go for cheap as possible rifle to feed. No reason why you cannot engage with the 223 out to good distances.

Failing that a 22 LR - surprising how far you can shoot one of these.

Or a .303 No 4 or SMLE - again peep sights on the No 4 will let you rattle gongs - a bit more difficult than with a scope, but adds to the fun.

And finally 45-70 Quigly Gun as mentioned above, or even more fun one of the Muzzleloading Enfield of Whitworth style target rifles.

Failing that a 22 LR - surprising how far you can shoot one of these.
How far have you got with a .22 LR? I got to 250m on a 300mm plate a few years ago. Back at it at the moment and aiming to get out to 400m on the plate. Don’t have the scope travel for further (25 mils in the scope and 10 on the ret is what my ballistics app says I’ll need for 400m).

.223 makes a lot of sense

Easily capable out to 600m

Be adventurous and try a bit of off-hand at extended ranges - that is loads of fun

As is .22LR at 400m - lots to learn from the humble .22LR

Beware - all highly addictive

.223 makes a lot of sense

Easily capable out to 600m

Be adventurous and try a bit of off-hand at extended ranges - that is loads of fun

As is .22LR at 400m - lots to learn from the humble .22LR

Beware - all highly addictive
I’ve played about with a Tac T3 and quite liked it. Feeding one would be easy on the wallet too...
DG

Back