continental peg numbering , any ideas anyone ?

i know quite a few here game shoot as well as stalk ,so thought id would rack some brains,
does anyone know where i could obtain information about the continental pegging of guns on shoot days , as feel it could be quite a laugh to try it on my keepers day this year ,

heard it can be quite good when it works well

thanks in advance

dazza_r

What as in having 1-8 as "pegged" guns with 9 and 10 as "walking" guns and all move up two or three to the left at the end of each drive with the "walking guns" being included in the numbers?

its a system where instead of moving up two or three etc , you jump about all over the show and never stand next to the same people twice in the day , well thats how ive heard it explained to me before , just can't find any more information about how it works anywhere , hopeing someone happened to either use it themselves or knows how to work it out

dazza_r

up 2 down 3

Dazza

I think you mean the up 2 and down 3 system. Basically odd pegs go up 2 and even pegs go down 3. Dont really know how the maths pans out for any given number of pegs mind you.

many thanks shootingduck, worked it out on paper and that makes sense , if nothing else it should add to the banter of the day if it goes pear shaped ! ! :lol:

Dazza

I used to beat on an estate where they used the up two / down three system. They had to have a blackboard in the back of the gun's wagon showing the peg progression through the day depending on the number you drew first!! Good thing about it is you shouldn't stand next to the same 2 people on any drive.

Should be good for a laugh, but then, a few weeks ago I heard a bloke in a team of 8 guns, going up 2 each drive say quite confidently that he was number 11 for the drive before lunch!!!

Re: up 2 down 3

shootingduckdog said:
Dazza

I think you mean the up 2 and down 3 system. Basically odd pegs go up 2 and even pegs go down 3. Dont really know how the maths pans out for any given number of pegs mind you.

Can't quite work that one out (although I believe there must be a way to make it work). Say there are 8 guns, numbered 1 to 8 on the first drive (obviously!). On the second drive:

Gun 1 would be on peg 3
Gun 2 would be on peg 7
Gun 3 would be on peg 5
Gun 4 would be on peg 1
Gun 5 would be on peg 7 (with gun 2)
Gun 6 would be on peg 3 (with gun 1)
Gun 7 would be on peg 1

Nobody would be on pegs 2 or 4.

So, what are guns 2 and 5, 1 and 6 supposed to do?

If I wasn't so terrible at maths, I'd think about this quite hard!

even numbers only stand on even numbers 2,4,6,8 and odds only on there numbers 1, 3 ,5 ,7 you dont stand on the other's pegs and u move in opposite directions , well thats how i got it to work :lol:

Back