Cooper rifles

A "pallet load" was only 24 rifles. They came laid out in short rows of eight with cardboard in between the rows and metal banding holding them all in place. I split the pallet with a buddy. I think we got the whole lot for $1200 US, thirty years ago. In truth, only about half of them had decent bores. The others were rebarreled. I still have a 16" M94 barrel new in the white left over from that affair. We had new Gustaf M38 barrels for most of them.~Muir

The outcome at Little Bighorn would have different if Custer would have had access to Muir's gear.... :p

edi

I think Custer's part in the battle might have lasted 20 minutes instead of 15 but the outcome would have been the same. :)~Muir

I genuinely feel sorry for the OP.
He asked a simple question about Cooper rifles and in just over a page, he's got a load of irrelevant nonsense about bulk buying military rifles and the Battle of Little Bighorn.

Granted, the thread has drifted (as almost all do) but I think the OP got his response in the first few posts. What more would he want from the responders beyond, "nice rifles", "the most accurate rifle I have ever shot..." and KB's great photographs? I know that folks on this forum like to make all their shooting-related decisions by referendum, but I wouldn't feel sorry for him. It's not like he got conflicting opinions.... except my own which suggested that without strong local support, I'm not sure I'd buy one. Not a criticism of the rifle, just logistics. He got his answer, unless you have something germane to add....~Muir

He asked a simple question about Cooper rifles and in just over a page, he's got a load of irrelevant nonsense about bulk buying military rifles and the Battle of Little Bighorn.

"Irrelevant nonsense" is a tad harsh. Especially given that two of your posts (#5 #23) to the thread represented just over 9% of the responses and neither contributed any information about Cooper rifles to the OP.

By way of a heads up...If you believed that @bluesako had some knowledge to contribute, then putting the @ symbol in front of his name would have enabled the forum software to alert him to the thread...as I did with @Muir .

Alan

Last edited:
Well, Alan, as far as I know Cooper didn't make scabby old wartime rifles which were later sold by the crate load. So that WAS irrelevant.
I didn't know about the @ thing, so thanks.

Anyway, OP, I bought a rough Cooper M22 and had the synthetic 'Phoenix' stock repainted in Ceracoat, which went well. It's a fairly stiff stock, marginally low in the comb for me (but most things are). The bedding compound beneath the front of the action was strange flexible stuff which was easily cut out and replaced with Devcon. The trigger was creep free and came to me at 1 1/2 lb, if memory serves. I didn't adjust it. It came with bases for Leupold rings. I had a Sassen tube in Rem Sendero profile fitted. It shot beautifully, after a bit of careful load development. I sold it only because I got the chance of something even nicer and couldn't justify two 6 BRs. I know the new owner loves the rifle.
I understand Muir's point about a lack of back up- but don't know how often you're likely to need anything for one- If you were unlucky enough to need the odd spring or an extractor, there's plenty of talented 'smiths here who could make them or modify something similar to fit, so if you have your eye on one, I wouldn't let that put you off. Lots of rifles in daily use have no back up as far as spares are concerned, but keep knocking stuff over just the same.
As an aside, I see from the Cooper website that their range has increased considerably since Fox Firearms last imported Coopers to the UK. Some of the stainless stalking rifles take my fancy very much indeed.

Last edited:
+1 above what 20-250 said, i have had a couple of coopers single shot rifles for over 20 odd years, they are fantastic rifles, and if they were still imported in the uk my safe would be full of them ,spares are no problem cooper arms have bent over backwards for me with spares, single shot has never been a problem and 20-250,s 6br is one of the most accurate rifles i have ever seen, its a shame they dont import them to the uk now, would i buy another yep, certainly would. bs.

Many thanks for all the comments. Muir Blue Sako and 22-250 have gave all the info to feel happy to look out a second hand Cooper and buy should one suit m3

I have a lot of collectible weapons I don't shoot but most of my stuff is "flavor of the month" items. I get an interest in loading for and shooting a specific cartridge or rifle and I run it to ground. My most (in)famous example was when I bought a second hand Lyman 585-513 bullet mould at a gun show in Yuma Arizona for seven dollars. I shoot 58 caliber rifles and the '513' series is a popular minie ball. They are usually 577-513. The 585 number interested me. I came to find out that this is the bullet for the 577 Snider. That started the ball rolling. I bought a 2 band Snider Enfield with a perfect bore ($700 back then) and 40 lathe turned cases ($160) and a set of dies and shell holder($300) then proceeded to shoot it for the next month or three using that bullet. I worked up a loading technique that gave very good accuracy, let out a sigh of contentment, and set it on the shelf and haven't touched it since. Twelve Hundred dollars spent to use a seven dollar bullet mold. A little crazy but, as I told my ex wife: "There are so many different guns to shoot and life is short."~Muir
Just about all I buy anymore are collectible . I just wish I had back all I’ve sold or traded off . Not because I miss them but rather so I could sell them again LOL’s . That’s 1200 vs 7 is kinda like folks asking me about the savings from reloading . Anymore I tell them there’s no savings , atleast not the way I do it ! As I try way way way more stuff then I’ll ever use or have a need for .

Just about all I buy anymore are collectible . I just wish I had back all I’ve sold or traded off . Not because I miss them but rather so I could sell them again LOL’s . That’s 1200 vs 7 is kinda like folks asking me about the savings from reloading . Anymore I tell them there’s no savings , atleast not the way I do it ! As I try way way way more stuff then I’ll ever use or have a need for .
Which has what to do with the OP’s question about Coopers?

Which has what to do with the OP’s question about Coopers?
Not a damn thing and as far as I’m concerned it’s not your concern if the original poster wants to say something I fully understand . Quite a few times I’ve started a thread and it’s gone off in different directions and I let it pass . You should do the same thing !

I've got a Cooper M54 custom classic.
It's a .243 lovely light rifle to carry about and very accurate if I do my bit.

Attachments

• 20170227_075300.jpg
    20170227_075300.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 37
I've got a Cooper M54 custom classic.
It's a .243 lovely light rifle to carry about and very accurate if I do my bit.
Hi

I can't help myself so please confirm if you have really attached a Coke can to an otherwise delightful rifle or is that Photoshoped just to wind me up?!

K

Are Cooper Firearms still of the same quality, with good QC and excellent after sales service now Dan Cooper no longer owns the company?
Ken.

and what was your meaningful contribution?
;)

To the OP, a shooting pal I know had/has one in 7mm-08 - not seen him in a long time.
He waited an age for it to arrive and it was accurate but tbh it looked like another American rifle to me.

As others have said, the absence of a reliable agent would be a put off at that price point and there are better euro rifles available.

Back