Coping with back pain.

i feel your pain buddy..im having a nerve ablasion in october following many years of a nerver impingement between l4 l5 s1.. agony.. try and see if your gp will get you under a painmanagement clinic.

Blobby159

Now we have some critical info to base recommendation on, may I ask if you've tried acupuncture?

It didn't address my particular problem but rather disturbingly I enjoyed the process of having needles stuck in me!

K
I think this erm..... interesting admission of yours there "K" is the core of many other "interesting" admissions from members but perhaps on the more social interaction class of Forum...!!?

Smirks aside, I
provided to the patient's back (for instance) by attaching a low level electronic power input signal not unlike that used in the TENS Units (mentioned earlier in this string somewhere.

Personally I found this model of pain control &/or relief a bit hit and miss - just like the two separate methodologies that have been combined here in this treatment format..
A). Sometimes the 20 minute course of my treatment had NO Impact what-so-ever that I could identify., ..
B). Occasionally I received a good level of pain relief that came on IMMEDIATELY the needles concerned were connected up to the power supply but who's impact slowly subsided over the next few days, to be gone altogether inside of anything from a day or two up to perhaps 5days whereupon pain had returned to the unacceptable, regular day-to-day.....

At the commencement of quite a few of this type of much needed and appreciated reaction I did note that I had a POWERFUL NEED of sleep, due no doubt to the release of a large quantity of hormones from my Endorphin system....of

C). In the third and last reaction to having a quantity of fine diameter needles inserted into prime, bodily sites was the situation whereby some discernible pain relief WAS felt, but that it was only slight and didn't last long.... Just a few hours at most perhaps

ATB ....... and shoot safely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harris HillBilly

Any tips, guys?
Can't get an osteopath appointment for a couple of weeks. Right now I can barely walk, can't get in / out of bed unaided, or dress myself properly. Even using the toilet is proving difficult.
Somehow got to keep on going with my daily workload, plus will be spending 3 days away from home next week, driving 700 miles, and carrying out physical activities at my destination.
Any tips from fellow sufferers on managing the pain would be much appreciated.
Back pain covers many differing activities, and is very

Norfolk Horn

Thanks for all the advice and sympathy.
It is not a disc / degradation problem. It is a misalignment of the sacro-ileac joint, caused by me having slipped on seaweed and fallen backwards onto a rock while carrying an unfeasibly large piece of driftwood to get it above the tide line. (I lived on an offshore island at the time, with no trees, so relied on driftwood for fuel).
It does affect my right leg as well (in fact, the whole of the right side of my body), and I get some numbness here and there.
My osteopath does a good job realigning everything, and it generally stays put for a good while after treatment.
I'm told that it's one of those things where the level of pain is disproportionate to the relatively minor nature of the injury, due to the close proximity of a major nerve which is "insulted" by the inflammation in the surrounding tissue.
The current attack seems to be a particularly bad one.
The difficulty is managing the pain and debilitation while awaiting an appointment.
I had exactly the same diagnosis as you (normally women after childbirth you know) couldn't sit blokey, leg gave way when walking etc, had physio and exercises which helped. In the end see back sugeon he was convinced it was a disc. I had a MRI and it wasnt either. It turned out it was a facet join pinching a nerve. The previous treatment had just had a secondary effect on the problem so helping short term by flexing my spinal column.
I see a pain consultant, had three injections xray guided physio follow up and exercises and sorted.
See if you can get a full investigation carried out as you could be barking up the wrong tree, I was.
I was fortunate as have private health care so got sorted asap.
Good luck and hope you get fit and well soon

Harris HillBilly

I sympathise with anyone that suffers with back pain, it is very disabilitating.
But not sure if this will be of any help. But in the process of speaking to estate stalkers, one mentioned his previous back problems in general conversation.
So I ask him how he over comes his disability, with the type of fiscal work he does.
I was surprised by how simple his back problem was to solved, and he said he never suffers with it now.
First step was the doctor, then physio and finally podiatrist.
I know, I must have had that look on my face.
He said his back problems was solved by podiatrist making him special insoles for his work boots and causal shoes..
He said it had something to do with his knee and ankle joints, and it putting his walking pattern out of its natural alinement that put a huge amounts of stress on his lower back.
So the insoles seemed to have sorted that out for him.
I just thought this information might be of interest, and maybe worth investigating.
I hope you manage to find some way of easing your back problem.

nun_hunter

I've got a degenerated disk in my lower back which causes constant stiffness and very mild pain but used to flare up regularly but hasn't done for a few years now. When I finally got to see a consultant he said when I get a flare up it needs 48hrs total rest to prevent it getting worse and reduce the swelling initially (I have naproxen if needed) and then take it easy until it's better. As mentioned before any core exercises are great as they will strengthen all the surrounding muscles too so help prevent flare ups and more importantly help you recover a lot quicker when it does. For me I enjoy going to the gym and have weights at home so deadlifts and squats are great, also running and cycling really helps. Unfortunately I spend a lot of time at work sitting in a car which is one of the worst things for a bad back so i have to keep fit or my job would cripple me and I'd no longer be able to do it.

If you have to do the long drive and activity then Naproxen and other anti inflammatories would be good and take as many breaks as possible and just go as easy as you can. Depending on where the pain is some kind of a lifting belt could help as it increases the intra abdominal pressure you can create which helps stabilise the lower back.

kenbro

I have a draw full of unopened/unused proscribed drugs that date from day one of seeing my GP through to that most recently proscribed (for pain control) by my Consultant. And the reason I would rather endure the pain than take them is the warnings I encountered on the packets that scared me *********!

The reason I’ve kept each unused proscription rather than dispose of or return to the Pharmacist is so when my next FAC renewal comes around I may physically demonstrate, if so required, that I have never taken a mind-altering drug which included the so-called cure-all that is Valium.

My Wife called me an idiot but then she does that a lot.

K
Many prescribed drugs are very expensive and taking them home and not using them is not very responsible in my opinion.
I know someone who is prescribed drugs costing thousands of ££s every 3 months and he too doesn’t use them, instead choosing an alternative home made treatment which appears to work for him, but, I told him, he should quit contributing to the funding problems of our N.H.S.
Regards,Ken.
PS. Hope your Doc. doesn’t lurk on SD.

kenbro

After reading this thread I realised I hadn’t used myT.E.N.S. thing for a couple of months (No idea why) so I rigged it up last night.
Back pain and pain right down left leg (Which I presumed was referred from my back) for several nights constant so put the pads on my lower back for 1 1/2 hours and used the ‘Constant’ setting on max.
Slight twitch in left leg during the night but my back was sooo comfortable I thought I’d died and gone to Heaven!
Ken.

Ranger22

Like you, I went far too long initially without seeing anyone about it. Then, about 20 years ago, saw doctor and he referred me for physio. It was a long drawn out process of weekly appointments, and didn't work. Second time it was bad my doctor advised seeing an osteopath. Either a long wait on NHS, or pay private. I paid. It was like magic! Pain free for the first time in ages! Now, osteopath is my first port of call. Not very many to choose from around here though, and difficult to get an appointment in under 2 weeks.
Unfortunately I can't "sod work", as cows need milking etc come what may. I get it done very slowly, with lots of rests. A bit worried about the long drive next week though, and towing a fully laden trailer (50 sheep on board) always seems to make the journey more tiring and uncomfortable.
You can sod work, get a relief milker in. Get someone else to take the sheep away. It’s a small cost compared to your health.

Klenchblaize

Many prescribed drugs are very expensive and taking them home and not using them is not very responsible in my opinion.
I know someone who is prescribed drugs costing thousands of ££s every 3 months and he too doesn’t use them, instead choosing an alternative home made treatment which appears to work for him, but, I told him, he should quit contributing to the funding problems of our N.H.S.
Regards,Ken.
PS. Hope your Doc. doesn’t lurk on SD.
Even if I took them back they are not permited to re-issue.

Not taking sloppily proscribed Valium strikes me as wholly sensible but thanks for your input.

ATB

K

Tom270

Fair amount of good advice already given. I would say take prescribed medication and take it as prescribed, usually every four hours but only to the maximum daily limit.
Keep moving, being immobile causes seizing up. Posture is important don't slouch when sitting, put the car seat more upright and walk tall. Drink plenty dehydration is your enemy.
Usually prescribed meds include paracetamol, ibruprophen, codeine and may be diazepam.
I have no experience of chiropractors but many swear by them, with many GP's you can self refer for physio check the practice web site. Follow the exercise plan from the physio religiously.
It often gets worse before it gets better and many give up because of this.
Recently I have been to several patients who are immobile with back pain who are not compliant with their medication.
My students often call me Jackenory, as I tell them an illustrative story, so here you are.
We are travelling two's and blues across the Peak District to a patient who cannot get out of bed.
We discuss possibilities on the way, including stroke, low blood pressure, heart attack etc etc.
On arriving it becomes apparent its a back pain problem. have you seen the doctor, yes is the reply I get muscle spasms.
Ok what did they give you, and she quotes the full list I gave above, Ok I say and are you taking them.
No she says, paracetamol and ibruprophen, well you can get them at the super market they can't be any good, codeine bungs you up and diazepam makes you wappy.
The partner then said once she gets going she will be out gardening. I kept my mouth shut.
We did explain how all these drugs in combination were excellent and she took them while we were there. I rang the GP who was great and said he would be round shortly to sort this out. grand chap.
Best of fortune to the OP and best wishes for a good recovery.

Klenchblaize

With respect, you did say you did this from day one, so why go back for more?
Regards,Ken.
I didn't go back for more of the same drug. In fact I didn't go back for more drugs of any type but rather to ensure I got to see the right Consultant/s and undergo various scans. They in turn proscribed pain relief but only when reading the warnings did I realize the side affects so abstained.

K

Heimdall

Hi tim i too suffer from time to time with back pain however i cant take anti inflammatory meds. What i have done in the past is just hang by my legs and try to relax the back muscles for 10 15 mins,it make you look like a prat but worked for me as a quick fix for a week or two. I now use a chiropractor there not too expensive but worth the money in my opinion. Hope you feel better soon mate. btw were do you need to drive to and from and when as i might be able to help out

mchughcb

Tried hanging upside down tonight rather than just hanging and back feels much better. But I also had a few nips of Irish whiskey so I'm not sure what the contribution of each was but I feel great.

Alantoo

Tried hanging upside down tonight rather than just hanging and back feels much better. But I also had a few nips of Irish whiskey so I'm not sure what the contribution of each was but I feel great.
The inversion tables (mine is branded Back Swing) are great I think...I used to end making like Dracula for a few hours at a time...you can even watch TV without having to turn it upside down...you adjust within seconds!

I did try a sling under my armpits and hanging off the forge crane but that was not comfortable for more than a few minutes. Locking elbows with hands on a table and letting your legs hang is okay for a short while...but have a look at the Sarah Key website and read up about her brick/pile of books which is simple and easier.

Alan

Blobby159

I didn't go back for more of the same drug. In fact I didn't go back for more drugs of any type but rather to ensure I got to see the right Consultant/s and undergo various scans. They in turn proscribed pain relief but only when reading the warnings did I realize the side affects so abstained.

K
I admire your stoicism for taking it on the chin and NOT taking any pain med's 'K' but there are times when a break in the continuously nagging pain is called for and surely appreciated my friend??... I come from the other direction on this and am fairly OK taking anything that should/may help to give me some relief.. Same goes with my chemotherapy. If they suggest I try something additional to help minimise my discomfort I am usually happy to stick my arm out etc. etc and go with the suggested flow.....

But whatever you choose though, if it works for you then that's how you should go ... GOOD LUCK Mr. K.

ATB ...... and shoot safely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CarlW

The problem with a TENS machine is one soon gets bored and starts experimenting. Try putting a pad on each cheek (face or @rse will do) and playing with the frequencies to create some fabulous Jim-Carey-style facial expressions...

VSS

Hi tim i too suffer from time to time with back pain however i cant take anti inflammatory meds. What i have done in the past is just hang by my legs and try to relax the back muscles for 10 15 mins,it make you look like a prat but worked for me as a quick fix for a week or two. I now use a chiropractor there not too expensive but worth the money in my opinion. Hope you feel better soon mate. btw were do you need to drive to and from and when as i might be able to help out
Thanks for that. Driving from North Wales to Suffolk: A55, M56, M6, A14. Think I'll be OK, thanks all the same, much appreciated :tiphat:
Which reminds me, I'll be doing the return journey on Thursday with an empty trailer, so if anyone has any bulky items they want picking up and dropping off on route, happy to oblige (eg, chiller, quad, furniture, livestock etc etc).