Copper cleaning - how to saturate the patch

Heym SR20

A simple but how to you get copper solvent onto a patch. My wide necked jar of Hoppes Benchrest has finally finished, but the wide enough to spike a patch on a spire point jag and then dip it into the solvent.

Just got a new bottle of Boreshine - it has a narrow neck. There must be an obvious and simple way of doing it without getting solvent every where. But what is it???

Heym SR20

Drinking straw, dip in, finger over top to seal vacuum and then pull out however much you need and dip on to patch.
That is the sort of very clever but totally obvious solution.

Next question - does Copper Solvent pick up Blue colour from a Brass Cleaning Jag - Brass of course being an alloy of Copper and Zinc.

Cottis

Next question - does Copper Solvent pick up Blue colour from a Brass Cleaning Jag - Brass of course being an alloy of Copper and Zinc.
Potentially yes but not if you are quick. On the rare occasion I use solvents to give a barrel a proper birthday, I use a mop saturated and pass that through a few times before patching out immediately. I then repeat the mopping to ensure a full coverage of the bore with fluid. I then leave for 15minutes and then scrub with a brush before patching out. I get some blue hues on the patches but when repeating these steps, the blue hues reduce to the point of being non existent. If the bronze from the jags, mops or brush were being dissolved, I would keep seeing blue on the patches.

Solvents soaking in a bore will dissolve more copper than a copper based metal being passed through for a much shorter period of time.

If I do clean anything, I always flush and rinse the metal based cleaning brushes/jags/mops etc thoroughly under water before storing away.

Sonicdmb73

Yes it does but probably not enough to show on the outside of the patch which contacts the barrel.
I do rinse my jags and brushes though. As they discolour if left. The brushes can literally end up under size.
There’s cleaning rods etc available made with other metals if you’re worried. I don’t know that they are worth the extra cost though. I have never bothered buying any.

Dalua

Indeed it does. Therefore my speartip jags (the modern ones, at least) are made of aluminium.

I stopped using Hoppe's copper-solvent when I discovered Forest bore-foam.

palo

I use the alloy jags and nylon brushes as I was getting copper coming off the brass ones. Get a dropper bottle from the local chemists for the solvent

paul o'

A simple but how to you get copper solvent onto a patch. My wide necked jar of Hoppes Benchrest has finally finished, but the wide enough to spike a patch on a spire point jag and then dip it into the solvent.

Just got a new bottle of Boreshine - it has a narrow neck. There must be an obvious and simple way of doing it without getting solvent every where. But what is it???
I just pour some into the lid dip the patch in and place on jag , use rubber glove lol

deeangeo

Hell I’ve been holding the patch across the bottle top and tipping the bottle, then spike the patch onto the jag.
I’ve been doing this for years and years.
Am I going to die ‘cos I do it this way?

Keep your patches in a small screw top jar.
Pour some solution into the jar just enough to soak the bottom, all the patches will be soaked edge to edge when you come to use them.
Just keep adding patches and solvent
No mess, no waste,

Dry patches in the bag,
Wet ones in the jar

Muir

Keep your patches in a small screw top jar.
Pour some solution into the jar just enough to soak the bottom, all the patches will be soaked edge to edge when you come to use them.
Just keep adding patches and solvent
No mess, no waste,

Dry patches in the bag,
Wet ones in the jar
Like this guy does.~Muir

(Should make some of you crazy)