Copy of FAC at all times?

Coddy

When driving to and from Stalking rights, or transporting rifles in any way, should the original FAC be with you, in the event you are stopped by the police.

I currently don't, but i have a .pdf copy on my phone, and a photocopy of the original cert in my jeep.

Is this good enough?
I know the original FAC is required if going to a RFD to purchase ammo etc.

Last edited:
I would have thought a copy would be fine when you're in transit, if you dont want to bring the original.

I generally do bring the originals, but only because I havent been organised enough yet to make copies!

I believe the answer is that there is no legal requirement to carry it, and if you don't have it the police have no legal power to prevent you continuing or to seize your equipment. Notwithstanding this, it is very likely that the police have standing orders to seize any weapons they come across and worry about the legalities later.
A friend of mine had a day's shooting ruined and a lot of hassle when the police confiscated his shotguns at the roadside in such a situation. It was quite obvious they were legally held and he was wearing breeks. No apology followed.
I'd take the original and remind them that you are not required to have it on you if asked.

I understand the legal thing is that a police officer may take the guns if you do not have your original FAC with you. A copy of your FAC is not the same thing.

However, I gather your FAC details are readily available on the police computer, so provided they have a signal and can communicate with it and you can convince them of your identity, that should be adequate.

I am sure individual officers will interpret that differently given the particular circumstances of the situation.

If I am going to my local permissions I do not take the original; if I am travelling further afield, I have a permission on the other side of the country or I am going 40miles away to the rifle club range I take it...

If they were confiscated locally it is not too much hassle to go to the local station to pick them up...if it is the other side of the country that would be a pain.

Alan

My understanding is that if you can not show your certificate to a police officer when asked they have the right to take your guns from you until you can show them your certificate

There no legal requirement to have a FAC with you while in possession of Sec 1 firearm, there is legal requirement have your SC while in possession of shoguns

Before any more misinformation is posted on this subject this is the relevant section of the Firearms Act 1968

48Production of certificates

(1)​
A constable may demand, from any person whom he believes to be in possession of a firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of this Act applies, or of a shot gun, the production of his firearm certificate or, as the case may be, his shot gun certificate.

(2)​
If a person upon whom a demand is made under this section fails to produce the certificate or to permit the constable to read it, or to show that he is entitled by virtue of this Act to have the firearm, ammunition or shot gun in his possession without holding a certificate, the constable may seize and detain the firearm, ammunition or shot gun and may require the person to declare to him immediately his name and address.

(3)​
If under this section a person is required to declare to a constable his name and address, it is an offence for him to refuse to declare it or to fail to give his true name and address.

Quite straightforward really.

F

You just need to prove you have a certificate, being able to quote the license number should be good enough to cross reference the PNC check.

I never take my licence nor a copy...my name address and car reg has always proved enough...plus I know most of the police folk here

Before any more misinformation is posted on this subject this is the relevant section of the Firearms Act 1968

48Production of certificates

(1)​
A constable may demand, from any person whom he believes to be in possession of a firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of this Act applies, or of a shot gun, the production of his firearm certificate or, as the case may be, his shot gun certificate.

(2)​
If a person upon whom a demand is made under this section fails to produce the certificate or to permit the constable to read it, or to show that he is entitled by virtue of this Act to have the firearm, ammunition or shot gun in his possession without holding a certificate, the constable may seize and detain the firearm, ammunition or shot gun and may require the person to declare to him immediately his name and address.

(3)​
If under this section a person is required to declare to a constable his name and address, it is an offence for him to refuse to declare it or to fail to give his true name and address.

Quite straightforward really.

F

My interpretation of that, is this-

You are not required to have your licence with you, nor would you be committing any offence by not having it with you. But if you are in possession of any licensed item (rifles, shotguns or ammunition) when challenged by a constable and are unable to produce your licence, then expect that they may be seized by said constable.

Very straight forward.

I don't worry about carrying my licence when I am staying local, but then I know many of our police, taught some of them to shoot, deal with others through work and can always phone my FLO at home.
Always carry it when I am going further afield.

Last edited:
what is wrong with taking a copy of your ticket/s, blanking out your home address, and laminating the same, carry it with you and there is no problem. That is what I do, and it is more important, especially when Iam out of my own county. As already stated by Frank Holmes, who very helpfully quotes the relevant section of the FA 1968, it will negate the neccessity of the possible removal of your firearms, and prevent a perfectly good outing into a self induced nightmare

Your proof of ID is usually all that is required as any police officer can check your details via PNC.

Failure to produce is not the same thing as failure to show at the road-side or field...it is failure to produce at all (ie when challenged, if you can prove your ID, and are still asked to produce, it would be reasonable to allow you adequate time as in 24 hours...failure to produce a current certificate then is an offence as I understand it). Most of you driving around may be unaware that all FAC holders' car registrations automatically flag up on some police systems a red flag that you're a licenced firearms holder.

These details were passed onto me by my FEO.

The Law does say one has to be able to 'produce' the FAC, it does not say you have to carry the original on you at all times.
Mine would get wet/muddy pretty quick.
Simply a hard copy or image on your phone will do, and in any event Police could check via your car reg. no. who you are, where you live and that you hold a FAC.
If you know that everything is above board you have nothing to fear or worry about.

Back