Cost of Stalking

sp4rkman

I'm looking for people's opinion’s on the cost of stalking here in the UK.

I'm new to sport here, but have been shooting game in South Africa for many years. I've been out a few times with a friend and don't have a problem paying for his time, knowledge, advice and of course the priviledge of being out on "his"land. He lets me take as much venison as i want, plus takes me rough shooting and lamping and never argues if i take some of the bag home for the freezer.

However, my friend is unavailable this year and so i'm stuck for somewhere to stalk. I've looked around on the internet and found a few places but costs are really heavy on my small pocket (and no, that's not because i'm tight). Most places charge you per outing, there's no extras like lamping etc included and then still expect you to pay for the meat you wish to keep.

I understand people need to make a living but bleeding everyone else dry in the process isn't really fair.

I'm not a trophy hunter, i'm out there because i enjoy being out in nature and if i bag something for the freezer then that's just a bonus.

By the time you've taken into account all costs you're looking at £500 for 2 days stalking, accomodation and a deer for the freezer. That's a lot of money out of my budget.

i know many of you have your own grounds but a newbie like me stands no chance of finding this. To me, it's a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow

buckup

Hi,
I've got lucky, but so can anyone.
I got my own bit last August, but until then I was paying between £60 and £70 per outing. I did the stalker a few favours, with lighting etc in his cabin, some stalking came my way gratis, and we still have a good relationship. I would reccomend him to anyone, and do. He travels two hours to be there, and can't then go home between the morning and evening stalk. Like most stalkers he offers no garuantees, but without saying too much, he tries very hard not to let anyone go away dissapointed. You pay for the carcass at the going rate. Now I can't speak for all of course but I don't think £140.00 is too much for a long day out.
Whats your opinion? :???:
Mark

sp4rkman

I agree with your opinion. I know my friend lost some of his land as some wealthy guys walked in and offered the farmer a fortune for the rights.

i enjoy game shooting too but i cant afford the cost of a decent driven day.

It's a pity that it always comes down to money.

stone

sp4rkman said:
I agree with your opinion. I know my friend lost some of his land as some wealthy guys walked in and offered the farmer a fortune for the rights.

i enjoy game shooting too but i cant afford the cost of a decent driven day.

It's a pity that it always comes down to money.
some times it is not all about money as i am living proof to that
i got my ground as no one else wanted it and from my presence and hard work, i got more land adjoining it, so don't be to despondent as there is lots of ground out there to be had for free, just hav to look for it and be gratefull when it arrives

ive got over 2500 aces to stalk on so far for free, just today i got 250 more acres of land right alongside a huge forest,saw plenty fallow there this morning but i had no rifle :oops: sometimes farmers try give me few euro to even take deer off their land its great, my advice is to move to ireland and be good to the farmers haha!!

sp4rkman

Tiny, if you dont mind me asking, whereabouts in ireland do you live (rough idea - not looking for street address). My family are Irish but ive have not come across any deer in the area in which they live.

You're very fortunate to have secured all that land! I'm very jealous!

stone

tiny_in_ireland said:
ive got over 2500 aces to stalk on so far for free, just today i got 250 more acres of land right alongside a huge forest,saw plenty fallow there this morning but i had no rifle :oops: sometimes farmers try give me few euro to even take deer off their land its great, my advice is to move to ireland and be good to the farmers haha!!
the luck of the irish a :lol:
well done tiny

stone

hi tiny
it's not for me to get involved but why not try and trade a few days fallow stalking on your side of the water for a few days on ours , i am sure there will be lots of interest and also a chance to put a face to the names aswell
many regards
stone

Beowulf

Hi Sp4rkman,
I orginally joined this site about this time last year. (I've changed my log in name since) I was paying £50 per stalk, £30+ for the venison and £175 per cull Roebuck! :eek: I now have 50 acres of muntjac stalking. Its not much but its productive. I pay nothing for it, i just approached a farmer and asked if I could watch the deer on his land. I am preparing a deer management plan for a neighbouring land owner. So the farmer said okay! After a few visits we got to talk about the muntjac and the damage they cause. The farmer then asked me to start culling out aleast ten deer per six months, this then got extended to as many as I saw fit and I now also shoot foxes, Squirrels and rats for him. I also have taken over the management of his woodland and I'm in the process of putting up permanent high seats. This is also making the neighbouring land owners sit up and take notice. Twelve months ago I would have never believed that I could have any chance of my own ground. Now I'm hoping to expand my shooting and take out other stalkers.

Chin up my friend, if I can do it anyone can.

Another thing, some of us on this site are putting our resources together, be they land permission, local knowledge, land management skills, qualifications, etc and forming a deer management co-operative. If you can contact other stalkers in your area, you may be able to do something similar. Once a co-operative is formed I think that it would be easier to get more land. Try it, what have you got to loose!

hi stone, thanks a million for the advice i really appreciate all the advice i get here,i would be lost otherwise! i dunno really this is my first year properly stalking on my own to be honest and ive a lot more to learn, im only a newbie in terms to you guys! but maybe in a few years i might do that, i havent fully explored all my shooting land yet due to work and girlfriend commitments but next year il be in full swing! this week is the last week of the season here too so i really dont know what to do for six months and no deer!! :rolleyes:

i wont overcharge though haha! :lol:

swampy

Account Suspended
price of stalking

In my opinion, money would be nice for getting stalking permision. I don't have any so i can't be sure. However, with some perserverance you can get on ground without paying a penny. I don't pay for any stalking. But you have to be prepared to do spome graft

my main route in is foxing. I shoot foxes with my .243 under the lamp and the keepers love it. If you can show them that you don't take the **** and will turn up when you say then it will come.

Where are you in the country?

swampy

Andy L

tiny_in_ireland said:
i havent fully explored all my shooting land yet due to work and girlfriend commitments but next year il be in full swing! :rolleyes:
Tiny, does the girlfriend know that you are getting rid of her before next season then!! :lol:

sp4rkman

Tiny_in_ireland - My family are in County Mayo and i've been there countless times and never seen a single deer. Even my family say they havent seen in any in the area. It's a pity as it's stunning countryside. Good fishing though!

i dont expect to be handed my stalking on a platter. im more than prepared to put in the time and effort controlling the foxes, rabbits etc in order to prove my reliability and letting the farmer know i hold his best interests in mind.

I'm based in Northern Hampshire (on the the surrey border) and there is a lot of deer in the area. THe owner of my company owns a few hundred acres in the area and at times has hundreds of fallow on his lands. He's against culling them even though they cuase so much damage. Just wish i could pursuade him otherwise!

Its a very good idea pooling your resorces together. Just wish i had something of use to offer....

legaleagle69

I have no great authority on this subject as I am totally new, never been on a stalk in my life, however I have shot game many years and have never objected to paying for good sport.
What really gets my back up is paying through the nose for a mediocre outing.
I have very little time for myself so when I go out I want to have something worthwhile, I am a firm believer you get what you pay for with all things in this life.
My best ever outing was a walked up day with a keeper in Scotland on Boxing Day several years ago, he was a genuine gentleman, the family on the estate had very generously allowed us to shoot and postponed their day out so my partner and I could enjoy a private day.
This was a wild bird shoot, the keeper walked round with us telling us of the estates history, how he had developed the shoot over several years from an overgrown wilderness, we saw goldfinches in a special set asside habitat he had made, we only shot two birds all day, mainly due to my marksmanship or lack of it ..lol
It cost me £200 that's a hundred quid a bird and I would have happily paid double !!
If you want free shooting I reckon Beowulf has it right, thats how I used to get my rabbiting when I was a boy, worked just as well then as it does now, follow his example and persevere
BTW just bought my first rifle yesterday a Tikka .308 lite and would like to thank everyone on the site who have helped me over the last few weeks

what part of mayo ae they in if you dont mind? ive been shooting there in south mayo with friend and have seen a few fallow, the county under it galway has a great amount of great deer in it, sika red and fallow, ha ha i dunno Andy shes a bit too good at the cooking and is getting into shooting a few rabbits so she might be one to hold onto! we'l see closer to the start of the season again haha... just kidding... :oops:

sp4rkman

They're in Castlebar close to the west coast. The area is quite rugged and a lot of unhabited farm land so i'm sure there is a few beasts around - perhaps nobody ever looks out for them so they dont know they're there. Lovely part of the world though.

I didnt know Galway had deer either - guess i'm not very clued up on the Irish Deer scene then.

poddle

I think this topic is a variation of the post I made a while back, called "city rich boy syndicates"

It will eventually get to the point that only the rich or well connected can afford to go out hunting.
It's a shame but I watch it progress further every year in my area.
Nearly all of the land near me is now run by syndicates. So pay up or sell yer gun, that seems to be the way that the shoot managers want it.

Big shame, and it's fuelled by the spiraling cost of agricultural land, and of course corperate shooting days that will pay vast amounts for a days shooting.
Two years ago, six yanks came over and shot on one shoot near me for the day, the bill at the end, was wait for it...£38,000. They paid up delighted with the 1100 bird day and moved on to the next shoot the following day in Dorset. I cant afford to shoot three blody birds at that rate.
Oh well, I had better wait until they fly over onto my land and shoot for free...Yippee.. Not Really :oops: