Cost to Process?

Most butchers can't skin, they are not allowed to on the same premises as they cut up, or is that just Scots law.
By the time you have skinned it you are ha!f way there just as well to carry on and do the rest.

Most butchers can't skin, they are not allowed to on the same premises as they cut up, or is that just Scots law.
By the time you have skinned it you are ha!f way there just as well to carry on and do the rest.

This is what my butcher told me. Can't be in fur or feathers

I haven't paid for a butcher to joint up a deer as I do that myself.

I have paid for a whole fallow to be made into sausage before.

That costed £55 including the bit of pork i asked him to add, as it was for a bbq and I didnt want them drying out.

That was on two occasions, each fallow weighed 75-85 lbs

I have nothing against breaking a deer down for the freezer, which I have done a few times, but the where is the question? I only have a small kitchen so I had to set up my fishing tent in the garden and do it at night when the flies are asleep.

Hi all,

I was wondering what would be an example cost of butchering a deer?

Just out of interest really, as suggested in my other post - i'm a complete noob to this, eventually I would like to learn to do it myself however to start I wondered how much a butcher charge to go from carcass to freezerable meat?
average is about a £1 a kilo but I got a 80 kg stag butchered for £20

I have nothing against breaking a deer down for the freezer, which I have done a few times, but the where is the question? I only have a small kitchen so I had to set up my fishing tent in the garden and do it at night when the flies are asleep.
Small kitchen is all you need. Presumably you have somewhere to hang a carcass? If so, a lot of the dismembering can be done while it's hanging up, and then transfered to the kitchen table in more manageable chunks.

And when planning out the garden for the new house, make room for a small range.....

Took a day off today and never told the other half as I would have been giving a list the size of my arm with stuff to do.

After dropping the wee laddie at school went to are local butchers for a roll and a couple of pies.

He is now going to process my roe for me @ £1 per kg. As much frying steaks as possible few small roasting joints and the rest burgers, sausages & mince.

I know most people will say do it your self, but with my job I sometimes struggle to even get out stalking never mind butchering a deer.

It’s a win win situation for me.

People pretend they know what they are doing with butchering. I've tried it, and if I had more time probably would do again but can't justify it to be honest in my circumstances at present. I pay 45 to 50 quid for red's to be butchered and vacuum packed and can't justify even contemplating doing it myself for this cost. The pro's have this down to an art and there's only a couple of butchers I'd choose for the job now having tried many. Having seen the difference between quality butchers and deer stalkers who think they can butcher deer, the difference is remarkable. If I'm killing deer for my freezer or to give to land owners I want it butchered and packaged as best as it can possibly be. Each to their own but for me I like to leave this part of the process to the proffessional butcher. I do only shoot red's though, I'd perhaps have a different view on this if shooting smaller species. I recently saw some roe doe's hanging up in a larder and could not believe how tiny they were compared to the red's! In all honesty I think I'd have managed one myself if I were hungry

Back