Couple of reloading questions please.

Eyefor

I recently batch weighed 500 x 100gr Sierra's in 7mm-08 and found them to range to be between 100.3gr and 99.8gr with the split (roughly) 3% 100.3gr, 5% 100.2gr, 15% 100.1gr 65% 100.0gr, 10% 99.9gr and 3% 99.8gr (I know that's 101% - but close enough).

Normally I would load all the 100.3, then the 100.2 and so on which (with all other factors being equal) would give me a slight increase in the POI as I shoot the lighter bullets?

Q1. Is this correct thing to do - or do I load all the 100.00gr until they are finished?

Q2. Roughly (with 45gr Varget) what would be the expected difference in POI over the 0.5gr variation at 100 & 200 yards please? I'm guessing not a great deal - so not worth bothering about with a hunting load (too many other possible variances?).

Just (Friday pm) bored & wondering.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Claret_Dabbler

You need to get out more.....

I never weigh bullets, life is too short. I just load them as they come out of the box.

j0e_bl0ggs

I recently batch weighed 500 x 100gr Sierra's in 7mm-08 and found them to range to be between 100.3gr and 99.8gr with the split (roughly) 3% 100.3gr, 5% 100.2gr, 15% 100.1gr 65% 100.0gr, 10% 99.9gr and 3% 99.8gr (I know that's 101% - but close enough).

Normally I would load all the 100.3, then the 100.2 and so on which (with all other factors being equal) would give me a slight increase in the POI as I shoot the lighter bullets?

Q1. Is this correct thing to do - or do I load all the 100.00gr until they are finished?

Q2. Roughly (with 45gr Varget) what would be the expected difference in POI over the 0.5gr variation at 100 & 200 yards please? I'm guessing not a great deal - so not worth bothering about with a hunting load (too many other possible variances?).

Just (Friday pm) bored & wondering.

Thanks.
Would be interesting to run that particular 7-08 load through Quickload and see how the barrel timing changes.

Eyefor

You need to get out more.....

I never weigh bullets, life is too short. I just load them as they come out of the box.
Would be interesting to run that particular 7-08 load through Quickload and see how the barrel timing changes.
Perhaps we should go out (more often) together dear :gheyfight:

I think it would be interesting too - I just like to eliminate other factors in order to know it's my fault when I miss. Sad, but good fun.

j0e_bl0ggs

Perhaps we should go out (more often) together dear :gheyfight:

I think it would be interesting too - I just like to eliminate other factors in order to know it's my fault when I miss. Sad, but good fun.
Iain, if you PM me your 'data' I'll run it through QL for you...

swarovski

isnt gonnabe much difference at 200yds if any,if you can put every shoot in the same whole you mite see change between batches,probaly best to get out more :rolleyes:

matt_hooks

I reckon that difference in POI for your group probably represents the difference a 0.5% difference in bullet weight will make at 200 yards.

Muir

There's some time from your life you'll never get back! Don't waste your time weighing bullets. ~Muir

leec6.5

i had a very simlar situation with some sierra gamekings 130gn spbt's , the last batch of 50 rounds i loaded were between 8-10 tho longer once seated .

the die had not been touched and i double checked it against the dummy round and seated another 20 rounds and the OAL was again 8-10 tho longer so i put it down to the lead soft point being slightly longer than the last batch i got so i just carried on and finished loading !

i can see they will shoot bugger all different than the sub inch groups i usually get from that load so , if i were you load them and shoot them !

Brithunter

i had a very simlar situation with some sierra gamekings 130gn spbt's , the last batch of 50 rounds i loaded were between 8-10 tho longer once seated .

the die had not been touched and i double checked it against the dummy round and seated another 20 rounds and the OAL was again 8-10 tho longer so i put it down to the lead soft point being slightly longer than the last batch i got so i just carried on and finished loading !

i can see they will shoot bugger all different than the sub inch groups i usually get from that load so , if i were you load them and shoot them !

Hmmmm most dies seat on the ogive and not the lead tip so chances are the new bullets came from a new die as after all bullet forging/swaging dies do wear and have to be replaced sometimes.

leec6.5

Hmmmm most dies seat on the ogive and not the lead tip so chances are the new bullets came from a new die as after all bullet forging/swaging dies do wear and have to be replaced sometimes.
your quite right there brit ,

but i did test them this afternoon and managed a 3/4" 5 shot group instead of the usual cloverleaf , but thats plenty accurate for me !

Eyefor

OK.

So I took the advice and got out some more.

Below is the result at 300 yards yesterday (bit blowy) with the 7mm-08 and the 5 different bullet weights 98.8 / 98.9 / 100.0 / 100.1 / 100.2 which I shot on the basis that 99.9% of what I shoot is well within that distance so this represents the maximum spread?

The rifle is 1" high at 100.

Might be a bit OTT - but now I know?

View attachment 10684

geordieh

OK.

So I took the advice and got out some more.

Below is the result at 300 yards yesterday (bit blowy) with the 7mm-08 and the 5 different bullet weights 98.8 / 98.9 / 100.0 / 100.1 / 100.2 which I shot on the basis that 99.9% of what I shoot is well within that distance so this represents the maximum spread?

The rifle is 1" high at 100.

Might be a bit OTT - but now I know?

View attachment 10684
Which bullet hole was which bullet weight
Geordie