COVID-19 is a warning to us all

enfieldspares

pot on and thank you VSS :thumb: Malaria - Something the majority of the world don’t give two fcuks about. All this that is happening to us brings things into perspective, like running the sniper gauntlet in Damascus to get a loaf of bread to feed your family or not having a mosquito net to protect your children when they sleep at night in West Africa.

That's true. As a kid in West Africa you get malaria. At an early age. Which you either then survive or you don't.

Klenchblaize

" .......... or, is it that we live at the mercy of global capitalists for whom the closure of borders is too great a financial threat to the global economy and shareholders? Well now the capitalists and economists will be able to experience the latter over the coming months and years."

The question as to whether closure of our borders when it could have made a difference will no doubt be asked by historians for many, many years.

Whatever your politics and awareness of maket forces I have to say my blood ran cold months ago when the first reports of Chinese citizens dropping dead on the streets from COVID-19 hit the airwaves and at a time I was still being asked by tourists from that same Country to take there picture outside Buckingham Palace with their mobile phone.

K

Odders

I'll wager the final toll (rather than government figures, especially CCP) is in the tens if not hundreds of millions & we (as in humanity) wont have this under control inside of 18 months to 2 years.

mchughcb

" .......... or, is it that we live at the mercy of global capitalists for whom the closure of borders is too great a financial threat to the global economy and shareholders? Well now the capitalists and economists will be able to experience the latter over the coming months and years."

The question as to whether closure of our borders when it could have made a difference will no doubt be asked by historians for many, many years.

Whatever your politics and awareness of maket forces I have to say my blood ran cold months ago when the first reports of Chinese citizens dropping dead on the streets from COVID-19 hit the airwaves and at a time I was still being asked by tourists from that same Country to take there picture outside Buckingham Palace with their mobile phone.

K
Closing borders and trade are not necessarily the same thing. If i want to buy bananas from Ecuador doesn't mean unfettered access for Ecuadoreans.

If you want to trade with Chinese doesn't mean they give you unfettered access to their country. Infact quite the opposite.

teyhan1

That's not true. The biggest cause of global death this year won't be coronavirus, religion or anything else. It'll be the same as last year. Abortion. 42 million according to the WHO
I rarely get annoyed by much but I really hope that you were just quoting some figures and not spouting some veiled religious bull$hit at us.
If you were, then please tell me where is your God now? Self Isolation?
I need to go and calm down, quickly. (mutters 'god f'in bull, )

Rowey

I was quoting actual figures. Incidentally nothing is veiled. I am a Christian. I'm not ashamed of it. Neither does your attitude surprise me or trouble me. I never mentioned God mate. You did. The post I responded to blamed religion as usual when the truth is most of the worlds ills are our fault. That's the end of the matter for me. You now know my views. So does everyone who cares to read it. I make no apologies for them or for speaking facts. Enjoy your day