Vacancy: Cracking opportunity for young person

SimpleSimon

Not my ad and nothing to do with me, just thought I'd share it as I'm unfortunately 10 years too old and too tied down to have a go myself!

REF NO RR382 Trainee estate worker Highlands POSTED JULY 18
Job description; Our Estate would like to offer an opportunity to a young person to gain work experience on a Highland Estate for a period of one year. Lochluichart Estate comprises of around 30,000 acres of hill ground included in this is around 5500 acres of woodland. The Estate has around 200 sheep a few pigs, Red and Sika stalking mainly for the family but some let, a family pheasant shoot and salmon fishing on the River Blackwater. It would be our aim to try and give work experience in all areas of the Estate. We have a one bedroom cottage that would be made available to the employee, it has night storage heating and is in good repair. We would propose to pay an annual salary of £10,000 pounds. We are looking for a young person with a full driving licence, hardworking, honest, and trustworthy.
Apply to;
To apply please send your CV or a short profile about yourself to mail@ruralrecruits.co.uk

The advert discriminates against someone on the grounds of age and hence is against the law.

Regardless of peoples opinion on this the law is the law and this advert should either be amended or removed.

John Gryphon

Beautiful place but for such an estate their website is a truly schitt one. I was expecting lots of photos showing off the place and as I delved into the site I was let down immensely.
Sack their website builder and do a new one would showcase that magnificent place is the way imo.

User00003

£10k, my cleaner earns more than twice that, bloody chancers.

the poor chap will spend his time unplugging toilets, acting as chauffeur to wealthy friends - might as well be advertised as ‘estate bitch’

Last edited:

VSS

what happened to minimum wage laws?

Well it's effectively an apprenticeship position, as far as I can make out. Ideal for someone doing a gap year, or a work placement year as part of a college course. A useful foot on the ladder for some youngster, making contacts and gaining experience that'll stand them in good stead later. Don't knock it.

Cut+Squirt

You know, I agree.
The entire shooting industry has this embedded attitude and thought process whereby it's fine to pay the keepers / staff buttons.
The above is a good opportunity, but let's be honest, what they are looking for is exactly what PKL has suggested.
10K a year for a full time position WTF?

Last edited:

basil

Distinguished Member
You know, I agree.
The entire shooting industry has this embedded attitude and thought process whereby it's fine to pay the keepers / staff buttons.
The above s a good opportunity, but let's be honest, what they are looking for is exactly what PKL has suggested.
10K a year for a full time position WTF?
BUT ...If the house is rent free then you can add a few thousand on top of the 10k, for a young gun surely that isn`t so bad?
Or am I missing something? :tiphat:

JTO

Sounds great to me, for an 18-year-old. My first job at that age was £8/10/0 a week.

JTO

Well it's effectively an apprenticeship position, as far as I can make out. Ideal for someone doing a gap year, or a work placement year as part of a college course. A useful foot on the ladder for some youngster, making contacts and gaining experience that'll stand them in good stead later. Don't knock it.

+1!!! Lots of 'interns' are working for nothing.

countrryboy

BUT ...If the house is rent free then you can add a few thousand on top of the 10k, for a young gun surely that isn`t so bad?
Or am I missing something? :tiphat:

Sometime u might get the eleccy too.

It is wot it is, when u add in the extra's might not be too bad depending on the hours, but i would imagine the days of doing 60 hr weeks every week will be over (atleast at that money) Really only keepering u get away with doing that to young uns now.
Althou by look of advert it is a 1 year deal, so not really an apprenticeship either (but u could learn a lot in a year working on an estate if u have some good folk around u)

When i 1st left school went on the YTS scheme as a keeper £29.50 a week and pay rise to 35 when i turned 17, prob a 60hr week often wknds too and had to bike 6 mile there and back every day.
Was fit in those days, knackered now just thinking about it

Even slightly later after i left uni many graduate jobs in the environmental/conservation field where starting about 12-14K, i could never afford to take them by time u left home and rented somewhere (usually down south)

Shooting is a funny industry where many folk are off their heads (me included) and often taken advantage off as many will do things for free.
Won't get many other trades/industries that rely on almost the entire work force taking a day of work to work for 30 odd quid (plus keeping/train/feed enough dogs to do it all year round)
Seen me driving to the grouse, some days could be away from house for 14hrs, all for 50 quid and losing a days wage. :cuckoo:
And still look forward to it every year, missing it this year

slider

Not saying its not a good opportunity for a youngster but there are employment laws and the person advertising the post risks prosecution if this post get into the "hands" of the authorities

Mom wage for some under 21 id £5.90 so this would get 1694 hrs, so just over 21 hrs a week! Perk and trainee make up for it in many folks eyes - but not HMRC

Last edited:

reloader54

£10k, my cleaner earns more than twice that, bloody chancers.

the poor chap will spend his time unplugging toilets, acting as chauffeur to wealthy friends - might as well be advertised as ‘estate bitch’

how can you possibly know that???

or was it perhaps just to let everyone know you had a 20k cleaner??:rofl:
boy you must be one messy sob.