Creedmoor load

Pard 007

Hi been doing bit of loading for creedmoor 123 grn SST lapau sp case cci magnum primer, load is Vit N555 43.7grns Av 2738 fps. Nice group should i be happy with results? ( i am👍) or should i keep playing about this is for hunting not a target range load.

If it's holding 1/2moa at 200 yds, you've cracked it, happy days !
Without knowing your barrel length, I'd have thought it could go faster, but speed isn't anything without accuracy.

Hi been doing bit of loading for creedmoor 123 grn SST lapau sp case cci magnum primer, load is Vit N555 43.7grns Av 2738 fps. Nice group should i be happy with results? ( i am👍) or should i keep playing about this is for hunting not a target range load.
I tested 130 TMKs yesterday with 42.8gr of N555 and have a velocity of ~2700 fps, so your load sounds and performs very similarly to mine. I'm using Murom LR primers.
Regards
JCS

Last edited:
Just wondering why you have chosen to use magnum primers?
For hunting it should be more than good enough. You could play with the seating depth but only you know how accurate you want it but I don't think you could realistically blame anything other than yourself for missing at the normal stalking ranges.

New to reloading m8 said he used them no other reason, would be happy if could find one powder to suit all my calibre's, but not that simple!!! As for missing more than happy with my ability!!! but know my limits would say most have missed a few deer my friend!!! The post was only asking a question thought i had put the correct info, so i would get some helpful posts.

New to reloading m8 said he used them no other reason, would be happy if could find one powder to suit all my calibre's, but not that simple!!! As for missing more than happy with my ability!!! but know my limits would say most have missed a few deer my friend!!! The post was only asking a question thought i had put the correct info, so i would get some helpful posts.
That's fine. I'm no expert myself but the manual will tell you if magnum primers are required which they're not for the Creedmoor and N555 and especially in the UK. You're spending money you don't need to there. Regards the accuracy, I would say that well over 50% of stalkers can't shoot 3/4" groups or even close to it regularly with their set up. If you can, then the deer haven't got much of a chance. The DSC1 only requires that you group 3 shots into a 4" circle which is considered good enough for stalking. The deer will not know if you spend more time reducing that group down to 0.5" that's for certain!

As you say it's fit for purpose for stalking.
I find the Creedmoor very easy to load for and its accuracy is extremely good I would go as far as saying excellent.
cloverleaf 5 shot groups are well within the calibres capabilities, but I enjoy handloading and don't mind giving it my time and cash to get that bit tighter grouping.
my kit is nothing extravagant few hundred quid on an of the shelf Bergara.
270 is on a par with your 3/4 inch we have had a discussion togeather and decided it's as good as it's going to get I have called it a day with the 270 it gets fed the same diet now or factory.

Hi barrel is 23 inch group is under 3/4 of inch at 100yrds not shot out to 200yrds yet.
Give it a try at 200, see if you're happy with the grouping. 3/4" sounds like it would be fine at 200, but better to prove it.

I heard a few people used Mag primers for Creedmoor and tried it myself. Made no difference at all. Save a few quid and use LR instead.

Thanks will try out at 200yrds plus try the LR primers but if this load works will stick with it but will experiment with primer to see if makes any difference👍

Just wondering why you have chosen to use magnum primers?
For hunting it should be more than good enough. You could play with the seating depth but only you know how accurate you want it but I don't think you could realistically blame anything other than yourself for missing at the normal stalking ranges.

Magnum or thick cup BR primers are a must if using SRPs in the Creedmoor. CCI400s will perforate with a resulting blowback. I use CCI 450s which are fine.

And please remember, what is the ideal load in one rifle may not be the best option for another. Always work up from the minimum to maximum charge.

Back