Creedmoor powder

Steve curry

Just having a creedmoor built and racking my brain as too what powder too choose.will be shooting 130s but mostly 140s out of a 26 inch bartlin barrel mainly hunting and steel targets.help with the powder type will be much appreciated. Thanks gents

dodgyknees

Well, saying it like it is here, but how about you refer to the reloading data provided by the chosen bullet manufacturer(s)?

Seems a better place to start than an Internet forum.

Steve curry

Your right a manual is a good place too start.im asking what people with the caliber have had good results with not what they load too I can do that myself. Just a bit of advice that's all

paul o'

130's --- R15,Norma URP,R17, Hybrid 100V , ( Hodgdon Superformance ) gives the best fps in the hornady 10th edition book.

140 's --- R 16 , n160 R15, Norma URP, Hybrid 100V, IMR 4451, Superformance again gives best FPS on there chart

Laurie

Your right a manual is a good place too start.im asking what people with the caliber have had good results with not what they load too I can do that myself. Just a bit of advice that's all
Excellent advice from @dodgyknees as a general rule, BUT current manuals don't offer a great choice from among the powders that are available here post-Reach. Hornady #10 has NO Viht loads at all, nor Lovex, and of course, no Reload Swiss apart from Alliant Re17 (RS60 to us). Sierra #VI also has no Viht loads, but around half of the 16 loads for its 130gn bullets are available here (some not very well /plentifully though) only six out 15 for 140s though. Between the two manuals, there is only a single Ramshot powder load for 130/140gn bullets. Lyman #50 is generally much better than the other two on Vihtavuori loads for many cartridges, but they're nearly all entries that go back over several editions. For 6.5 Creedmoor, a more recent introduction, there are again no Viht loads at all. Taking 130/140gn jacketed bullets again, the 130 has only one powder in the table that's available here (Alliant Re15), and the 140gn table also has Re15 but now with the addition of Ramshot Hunter, giving a grand choice of two propellants.

So asking for advice on SD on what's available in the UK is a pretty sound approach it appears. :)

25 Sharps

Viht N160 for a nice cool burning powder with good velocity.

RL26 for maximum velocities
What velocity are you getting? I’m about to abandon this powder, only got 2670 in my old Creedmoor but on the edge of pressure and not getting any better in the new 26”

Laurie

N160 doesn't work for everybody in this cartridge and they get better results with N150. (.............. or vice versa!) That's no doubt why Viht has introduced N555 as neither 150 nor N160 is optimal in this application.

Note though that (unlike every other N500 grade) it has a 'normal' specific energy level, in fact marginally below that of N150 according to Viht's online product details. So, it's unlikely to produce as high MVs as RS60 or many of the new Alliant grades which apparently contain a lot more nitroglycerin. On the other hand, the barrel might actually see 2,000 rounds through it - a figure I'd have grave doubts about for many Creedmoors in competition use allied to the powders being used, and what must be way OTT pressures they're apparently being run at if some quoted MVs are accurate.

25 Sharps

N160 doesn't work for everybody in this cartridge and they get better results with N150. (.............. or vice versa!) That's no doubt why Viht has introduced N555 as neither 150 nor N160 is optimal in this application.

Note though that (unlike every other N500 grade) it has a 'normal' specific energy level, in fact marginally below that of N150 according to Viht's online product details. So, it's unlikely to produce as high MVs as RS60 or many of the new Alliant grades which apparently contain a lot more nitroglycerin. On the other hand, the barrel might actually see 2,000 rounds through it - a figure I'd have grave doubts about for many Creedmoors in competition use allied to the powders being used, and what must be way OTT pressures they're apparently being run at if some quoted MVs are accurate.
Yeah, for the previous Creedmoor, it gave exceptional accuracy at a lower charge rate of around 39 gr but only about 2500 FPS, max load at 42.2 gave some cratering on the primer (lap brass fed 205) But around 1/2 moa. This was my McQueen and our to 600 load and I had a RS60 load that gave 2850 FPS for 800-1000 yards, all with Lapua 139 scenar.

Haven’t tried the scenars in the new 26” barrel howa, tried the 140 gr smk and accuracy was not very good, just over 1 moa and got cratered primers earlier at around 41 gr.

Have some N150, RS60 and now Ramshot hunter to try, I don’t know if the double base hunter will be any kinder on the barrel than the RS60 but with the 26” I’m hoping I don’t have to push it silly hard for the informal target I do. Have Sako LRP brass to play with but that may be a bit soft based on your previous posts and my experience with ABLRs in this rifle. Have about 500 pieces so not worried if it only lasts 2/3 firings.

New barrel is capable of very good accuracy, 85 gr Sierra varninters put 5 shot at .5 gr increment inside a 10 mm square In a blustery wind when load testing last week, velocity variation was about 150 FPS . Wondering if the 140s need pushing faster!

Laurie

I don’t know if the double base hunter will be any kinder on the barrel than the RS60
Ramshot Hunter has a combined 'heat of explosion' of 3,910 J/g against RS60's nominal 3,990. That may not sound like a big difference, but a reduction of 80 is well worthwhile if barrel life is a concern. (3,910 is a lot more than N160's 3,650 J/g though, or N150's 3,750 J/g.

N100 Smokeless Powders | Reloading | Handloading | Single base Rifle powder - Vihtavuori

(The new N555 is listed as 3,700 J/g, 'milder' than N150 even, and much 'milder' than the other N500s.

N500 High Energy Rifle Powders | Reloading | Handloading | Gun powder - Vihtavuori

The big difference though when discussing Nitrochemie powder performance is RS40/60/70's / Alliant Re26's (which is a Nitrochemie 'EI' grade) and some others' use of the infused deterrent 'EI' system, unique to Nitrochemie products. This does the same job as conventional (surface coated) deterrents which slow the initial combustion down when the bullet has barely moved in order to reduce peak pressures. Once coated deterrents burn off, you're back to the basic single or double-based propellant mix, so the slowing effect is very short lived. 'EI' infuses these chemicals deeper into the powder kernel so their effect lasts much longer and they provide a longer period of maximum pressure, but not over-pressure. ie they flatten that sharp peak at the start of the pressure v time v bullet movement trace. It's this feature rather than exceptionally high energy levels that sees these powders give 100, 150, sometimes even 200 fps plus MV increases over other grades. It's all about that pressure v time v bullet movement trace - 'EI' flattens the peak and the 'area under the graph line' is greater than for a conventional powder of similar quickness and energy level. The size of that area determines MV.

As always though, there is no free lunch and you pay heavily for that increase if you use all the MV improvement capability on offer. It's peak heat and pressure that kills barrels, so if you increase the duration of peak heat/pressure behind the bullet, extend it so it starts in the same place as other powders but carries on until the bullet has travelled further, then the throat area gets an extended dose of heat/pressure on every shot, and barrel life suffers accordingly. It's no different from changing bullet weights where heavy bullets wear barrels out significantly quicker than light one when loaded to identical pressures - the heavy bullet has greater inertia so 'sticks' longer in the throat area resulting in peak heat/pressure being applied to a small area of the bore for longer.

So Hunter will give lower MVs than RS60, (assuming both are equally suited to 6.5mm Creedmoor and a given bullet weight which is unlikely) but even if they are equally suited won't cane the barrel so hard.

petesv

i had good results with n150 with the heavier bullets not huge velocity like some have quoted on an open forum but very good accuracy.

jcampbellsmith

I was out on Thursday morning trialling some different seating depths for some 130 TMKs loaded over Reloder 17. Showing some promise, but will need to retest.
Regards
JCS