crimped bullets

Fireman sam

A friend of mine has sold his .243 and has a lot of reloaded ammo left that he said i could have.
I want to breakdown the rounds to check and reuse the components but the bullets have been crimped.

Can i do this to these rounds and is it safe to do so?

I would be using a kinetic hammer.

kennyc

A friend of mine has sold his .243 and has a lot of reloaded ammo left that he said i could have.
I want to breakdown the rounds to check and reuse the components but the bullets have been crimped.

Can i do this to these rounds and is it safe to do so?

I would be using a kinetic hammer.
yes

spandit

I had some Sako crimped FMJ and nearly broke the hammer trying (and failing) to dislodge the bullets. Why can't you just fire the ammo as it is?

deeangeo

Crimped bullets can be hard to disassemble with a kinetic hammer, depends how hard they're crimped and whether crimped into the cannelure. I also broke a k/hammer doing it.
Much easier with a bullet puller in the press.
Also if crimped hard, the bullet may well have a crimp ring deforming it somewhat.

Muir

Don't they teach youze guys anythin'?? Set your seater die to seat the bullet about .015" deeper. Run them through, then use the kenetic hammer.~Muir

deeangeo

Don't they teach youze guys anythin'?? Set your seater die to seat the bullet about .015" deeper. Run them through, then use the kenetic hammer.~Muir
Good plan Muir...never thought of that...:doh:
I think you'd probably still have crimp mark on the bullet though.

Oh6

I rather think that Muir's comment was aimed at the experienced guys who have broken hammers rather than yourself.
Pretty much confirmed by Deeangeo's "facepalm" reply.

In a word NO, very new to reloading and have not got to this chapter of the book.

enfieldspares

What he says! By seating them back you get the advantage of inertia when you use the kinetoc hammer. If you use a correctly profiled seater plug then you won't mis-shape the bullet and regardless of is shape you won't damage the bullet, no.

Muir

Yup. They will work fine. As to the crimp marks: Think of what kind of marks the rifling makes! :D~Muir

joe soapy

A reloading manual is the same as any other instruction manual, should only be opened as a very last resort,
after trying absolutely everything else

shooternz

Should reseat any bullets before using a kinetic puller old ammo can have light corrosion in the neck welding the bullet to the neck happened to me a few times, one case I pulled the neck right off with the bullet
it had corroded at the base of the neck, after reseating and pulling the bullets all the cases where scrap the bullets clean up ok.