Crop Protection who does it?

Tim.243

The small farm behind me is the only one locally I don’t shoot as the owner who is widowed wont have any shooting, she is related to the people who farm it for her but they have their hands tied.

A cosy number of pigeons have built up on the rape, so as I can shoot the ground next door off I went to decoy some off the steady line into the rape. The field I was on is Lucerne so it to gets some attention after cutting.

My next door neighbour has a new rescue lab so did a couple of extra walks with

“Guinness” so that pushed the birds back into the air from the trees they settled into.

Harry who was beating could here my shooting back on the wind, he text saying that sounded more fun than what he was doing lol…

46 picked with Chip the all round Spaniel doing his thing….

Tim.243 005.jpg

gonzo

Its shocking how much greenery they can eat in go
I've only ever pulled a few crops apart to see what they have been eating, as I'm not a great bird shooter. But was a bit shocked seeing Andy Crowe (this week's FSB episode) with a bird so full of whole acorns, that it was a flying maraca.
So not just the amount that they eat, but the size!

Tim.243

I've only ever pulled a few crops apart to see what they have been eating, as I'm not a great bird shooter. But was a bit shocked seeing Andy Crowe (this week's FSB episode) with a bird so full of whole acorns, that it was a flying maraca.
So not just the amount that they eat, but the size!

I used to help Peter Theobold running the bsac pigeon courses, the content was a bit lacking so I added a crop ID section as many years of giving dive lectures taught me that visual aids made a world of difference.
We always try to get birds " going back " as that will tell you what else they are feeding on, granted we both know what is being drilled in the area but with direct drill then a crop full of old wheat will mean some ears laying flat on a field.

Here in Essex lucrene in grown quite a lot, If you picked up on Andy using fibre wad then shooting on lucrene is what you must use as it is fed to horses so a plastic wad is no good at all.

I would lay out ten crops/seeds to see who and what people could know/learn with the winter getting Peters book as the prize.

Tim.243

mudman

Great sporting birds but I do not decoy them now, no outlet for them and I will not kill anything for which there is no market. I will shoot some roost shooting or flighting as bags are generally small and I will process them for myself.

Hi, on one of my permitions the pigeon are wreaking havoc, I know the farmer would welcome havin* a go at the pigeons, but like mudman says what do you do with the meat? As I am retired I know I could give it my best but the ethical side of me questions shoot to bury. I do take the odd one when I want bait for traps but that’s about all.
RS

Tim.243

Hi, on one of my permitions the pigeon are wreaking havoc, I know the farmer would welcome havin* a go at the pigeons, but like mudman says what do you do with the meat? As I am retired I know I could give it my best but the ethical side of me questions shoot to bury. I do take the odd one when I want bait for traps but that’s about all.
RS
As you stalk then ask your game dealer ( if you have one) if they take them.

What do you do with the deer you shoot ?

Tim.243

jon2

You will probably find your game dealer will take them - mine does. I think he paid 20p a bird when I dropped a load off last summer.

Ray7756

Hi
Restaurants take my venison, along with my own consumption everything is consumed. I’m old, not daft. Jon lucky you.
RS
Ask the restraunts if they want some pigeon, if they sell venison dishes they may want to try other natural products, nothing ventured nothing gained
Good luck
Ray

Broadarrow

I approached one of my former watering holes a few years back and enquired if he would like some rabbits as I had heard he was going to do a game menu..YES PLEASE says he...£1.50 a piece says I ( skinned and gutted if required at no extra charge ) ---- No thanks SAYS HE - I thought you were giving them away for free.....So asked him...If I gave him the rabbits for free would he cook and served it to me for free?

Broadarrow

You will probably find your game dealer will take them - mine does. I think he paid 20p a bird when I dropped a load off last summer.
does he quote a minimum number of birds ?
I as a pigeon shooter for a while on the farm in the Borders and minimum for game dealer / processor was 100 ...Perhaps times have changed ?

jon2

I’m not sure if there is a minimum but I dropped off 60 odd and no questions asked. 20pence per bird is minimal I know but it’s a legitimate outlet for them of course.