Crossbows

Southern

Crossbows are not legal for general hunting in most states of the USA. In some, they are. In others, they are legal for handicapped hunters, such as in wheelchairs. In South Carolina, there are reserved day hunts on the fringes of federal military bases and weapons labs, for handicapped veterans only, bow or crossbow only, for deer, wild boar, and turkey.

Regarding the video above of crossbows and bows employed against chain mail, the quilting under the mail is a big factor in stopping penetration, by giving with the shafts, to catch them. I have a target holder made of a piece of Level I Kevlar body armor ( .38 Special, .380 ) suspended on bungee cords from the corners to a metal frame. It will stop field points on heavy cedar or Norway pine arrows from a 65-lb Bear recurve bow. If I shot the same at a rigid target, like a steel drum, it would go completely through one side, strip off the fletching, and stick into the far side.

The quilting under chain mail also serves to blunt the force of sword and axe blows, and with a breastplate, spread the force over a wide area, to prevent the breaking of ribs.

When buying one of those bale target holders, foam blocks, or rolled foam blocks for archery backstops, the ones for light arrows have more give to them, while the ones for crossbows are more dense, but still giving.

Last edited:

flying felix

Crossbows are not legal for general hunting in most states of the USA. In some, they are. In others, they are legal for handicapped hunters, such as in wheelchairs. In South Carolina, there are reserved day hunts on the fringes of federal military bases and weapons labs, for handicapped veterans only, bow or crossbow only, for deer, wild boar.....
Boar hunting with a crossbow from a wheelchair, that's not a sport for the faint hearted!