Crown Care

jingzy

For those that don't know: :rolleyes:

Many people do not know the problems that are caused by the use of a moderator. The gases that are kept inside have a tendancy to corrode the rifle crown and indeed the rifling inside the barrel. :eek:

It is therefor recommended to remove the moderator after use (not after each shot, but after your outing) ;)

I carry a tin of WD40 in my gun case and give threads on barrel and inside T8 a squirt on removal after every outing wether i fire a shot or not.
nell

jingzy said:
For those that don't know: :rolleyes:

Many people do not know the problems that are caused by the use of a moderator. The gases that are kept inside have a tendancy to corrode the rifle crown and indeed the rifling inside the barrel. :eek:

It is therefor recommended to remove the moderator after use (not after each shot, but after your outing) ;)
Good post. Wish i did it before the mod got welded on. I had a lucky escape.
PLEASE, HEED JINGSY`s WARNING. IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.
basil.

nell said:
I carry a tin of WD40 in my gun case and give threads on barrel and inside T8 a squirt on removal after every outing wether i fire a shot or not.
nell

i knew a guy who did exactly the same..the mod left the barrel end like an extrocett missile, when the WD ignited !! :eek: Take care.

MrYou said:
nell said:
nell

i knew a guy who did exactly the same..the mod left the barrel end like an extrocett missile, when the WD ignited !! :eek: Take care.

I was an over enthusiastic user of the WD with my T8 and always took it off..

Before each outing i pulled a dry swab through rifle and mod

Still had a mighty smoke cloud :oops: :rolleyes: disrupting view of deer and direction if a runner..

Less is more as they say :lol: :lol: :lol:

Terry

i allways take mine off in storage,thats why i left it in staffordshire and everything else was in sussex with me :evil: ,i hope i dont do that soft trick again :D

I was an over enthusiastic user of the WD with my T8 and always took it off..

Before each outing i pulled a dry swab through rifle and mod

Still had a mighty smoke cloud :oops: :rolleyes: disrupting view of deer and direction if a runner..

Less is more as they say :lol: :lol: :lol:

Terry

Oh yes! Been there too with my T8 after taking the care instructions very much to heart. Mighty and rather fragrant smoke cloud. Reminded me of my student days...

Good post. Wish i did it before the mod got welded on. I had a lucky escape.
PLEASE, HEED JINGSY`s WARNING. IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.
basil.

it just has happened to me, fitted a bipod the other day and set off to check zero, after about a dozen shots i was a biy miffed that I couldnt get better than anout 4" at 150yds so ran into rfle craft this afternoon and he checked her over and found the crown had corroded and about the 1st 2-3mm of rifeling at the muzzle was slightly pitted, so need a re crown to get rid of the problem, barrel needs to be floated now as using a bipod, collecting her tomorrow afternoon and will have another go before the feo lady comes round, will definatley be taking the mod off now after each session

mike

I hear of and read all these threads advising people to take their mods off after use or this and that happens.
Does anybody ever leave their mods on as rule, It would be an interesting poll to see who would even think of such a thing.
I would assume that if a rifle is used or even not used but taken out for the day the routine on coming home would be to take the sling off, Mod off, magazine out, bolt out and then give it a good clean or rub down before putting it away.
I didn't do most of that before I retired as I was using mine nearly every day but the mod definitely came off.

Last edited:
This was my first season using a mod T4 on a Sauer 202 Outback in 6.5, I had to leave the mod on all season due to the fact that the rifle would not hold zero after taking the mod on and off.
I put some copper grease on the thread when i lined in the rifle in August, i only took the mod off the other day and it was perfect, i oiled the mod througout the season.

I didnt have to line the rifle in since august, so from my experience this year i'll be leaving the mod on.

wicklow202

This was my first season using a mod T4 on a Sauer 202 Outback in 6.5, I had to leave the mod on all season due to the fact that the rifle would not hold zero after taking the mod on and off.
I put some copper grease on the thread when i lined in the rifle in August, i only took the mod off the other day and it was perfect, i oiled the mod througout the season.

I didnt have to line the rifle in since august, so from my experience this year i'll be leaving the mod on.

wicklow202

W - can I suggest changing to a moderator that screws on the end such as Jet-Z, AU S5? Keeping the mod on is just like keeping the rifle barrel poked up a car exhaust pipe and exposes the barrel to acids and moisture. Gun dealers love us to keep the mods on as it is great for rifle sales. Rgds J

I have never heard of anybody recommending that Mods be kept on the rifle when not in use, maybe years ago with a .22rf but certainly not a full bore CF.
I have also never had a problem with shift of aim when taking the Mod off and putting back on.
I have had a shift of aim when shooting with the Mod on and shooting with it off, but that is not a problem with me because I only ever use any rifle without the Mod when shooting abroad and then it is a quick Zeroing session before I go.

I purchased a second hand Tikka M595 .223 Rem a few years back, it was stood up on the dealers shelf complete with its T4 screwed down tight, I managed to get the mod off without bursting a vein in my temple (just), the threaded portion of the muzzle was badly pitted & the pitting was starting to creep up onto the crown area, had it borescoped & it looked ok, so paid for it & test shot it with perfect results, I doubt that would have been the case in a few more weeks time! I keep a very close eye on this rifles crown area now.

I hear of and read all these threads advising people to take their mods off after use or this and that happens.
Does anybody ever leave their mods on as rule, It would be an interesting poll to see who would even think of such a thing.
I would assume that if a rifle is used or even not used but taken out for the day the routine on coming home would be to take the sling off, Mod off, magazine out, bolt out and then give it a good clean or rub down before putting it away.
I didn't do most off that before I retired as I was using mine nearly every day but the mod definitely came off.

Hmmm I never store a rifle with the bolt out as after all on most rifles in that condition is remains cocked with the spring under tension. Not only that but the chances of mixing up bolts is also there especially if one has more than one rifle of the same make. I also leave drop mags in place as they're less likely to be misplaced and some magazines are nigh on impossible to find replacements for. Just try finding original magazines for a BSA Super Sport Five :doh:.

Slings depending on the rifle may or may not remain attached. I check the guns on a regular basis and give them a wipe over regardless if they have been out or not. It's time that I started at one end and went through them all giving them a clean, bores and all, then an inspection before putting them back and have just brought a new bottle of P-H 009 to do just this ;).

I now have five rifles, more in the past, and can't say I've ever got my bolts mixed up:eek:
Plus, stored separately is another security measure.
As for springs under tension, good spring steel under tension should not have any effect during my life time;)
Leather or web slings can absorb moisture when out and dissipate it when left on the rifle in the gun cabinet affecting all the contents.
If, as most people on here do, use their rifles regularly none of the above applies because the slightest sign of rust/tarnish will be lovingly rubbed off each day:lol:

I think i got my first mod 6or 7 years ago and i'm still on my first tin of WD,it's not unusual for me to be out 4/5 times a week so i think moderation is the word,hav'nt seen that blue cloud for many a long year.:)

know two people that have rotted the end off thier barrell,one of them made his disscovery only a couple of weeks ago:lol:

Nell

I now have five rifles, more in the past, and can't say I've ever got my bolts mixed up:eek:
Plus, stored separately is another security measure.
As for springs under tension, good spring steel under tension should not have any effect during my life time;)
Leather or web slings can absorb moisture when out and dissipate it when left on the rifle in the gun cabinet affecting all the contents.
If, as most people on here do, use their rifles regularly none of the above applies because the slightest sign of rust/tarnish will be lovingly rubbed off each day:lol:

Ahhh well as I have let's see ........................... Hmmmmm six BSA bolts that can be mixed up and 4 Parker-Hales that would require you to search the serial number to make sure you have the right one. Nope what with Sods law lurking in the background it just ain't worth the risk ;).

As for the leather slings well the one which is screwed to the rifle stays on and if it gets wet that means the rifle is also wet so it's dried off and stays out until it's dry and then oiled before being put away Simple really. None are put away until they reach room temp anyway :) and as some of my rifles are twice my age amd I am really just their custodian until the next one takes over keeping the springs eased is just the right thing to do :cool:.

Give us a heads up how better it shoots mate after the re-crown, I'd be interested to know

I got the rifle back the next day, (fantastic service from riflecraft), with a recommendation that i also free float the barrel, a couple of hour later after some sanding and testing with a business card the barrel is now free from the wood, 3-4 shots to get it zero'd and then a 100yd 5 shot group of the bipod with a sand bag under the stock, not all holes were touching but all were covered by a 10p coin, i'm well chuffed now and will stick to the cleaning regime as instructed by riflecraft and whip the mod of as soon as ive finished shooting and wipe the crown and thread over with a very lightly oiled cloth

mike

Back