Curious as to what you would choose for Mt. Lion.

A Guy Out West

If you guys were going Mt. Lion (Lion) hunting, what would you choose between a 7.62 x 39 123 gr. SP or a .243 100 SP? These are your only two choices. You will be hunting over an electronic call, range should be under 75 yards. We call Mt. Lions Cougars or just plain Lions. The hide will be made into a rug. FYI, the price of a tag is $16.00, and the season runs all year long.

shakey jake

how big are lions? i dont know enough to choose but the 7.62 has killed plenty of big stuff in africa so i guess thats a safe bet
shakey

Buckaroo8

If you guys were going Mt. Lion (Lion) hunting, what would you choose between a 7.62 x 39 123 gr. SP or a .243 100 SP? These are your only two choices. You will be hunting over an electronic call, range should be under 75 yards. We call Mt. Lions Cougars or just plain Lions. The hide will be made into a rug. FYI, the price of a tag is $16.00, and the season runs all year long.
I’d use the rifle/set up that I was most familiar with and most confident in.

Swedish

I've seen mountain lions in the wild in Colorado, magnificent animals. I'm not sure I'd hunt one unless it was problematic or there was a population control issue. However If I was going to **** off a 200lb apex predator I'd want it to die about 1 millisecond after I'd ****ed it off!

LeftHandGuy

Neither would be my first choice, but between the two I'd take the 7.62 for the heavier bullet and greater wound channel. Especially noting the short expected range.

What are the hypothetical rifles?

devon deer stalker

.243 will work for sure, but aren't most hunted with hounds and shot out of tree's?
My friend called a Lion in by accident when hunting Elk, he had a tag but wasn't certain about the regs so let it walk, only to find later he could have shot it!
Cheers
Richard

A Guy Out West

Walkers,Plotts or Blue ticks and a .22 magnum...oops over a call? The 243 Guy.
Ahhh yes, the .22 mag. That was once popular with dog hunters. Since lions have been given "game" status in most states, .22 mag is a no no. I read once that a government hunter who had killed a ton of lions in California used a Lugar in 9mm as his tree dispatch gun.

A Guy Out West

I've seen mountain lions in the wild in Colorado, magnificent animals. I'm not sure I'd hunt one unless it was problematic or there was a population control issue. However If I was going to ** off a 200lb apex predator I'd want it to die about 1 millisecond after I'd **ed it off!
All animals are magnificent.