Curious as to what you would choose for Mt. Lion.

A Guy Out West

.243 will work for sure, but aren't most hunted with hounds and shot out of tree's?
My friend called a Lion in by accident when hunting Elk, he had a tag but wasn't certain about the regs so let it walk, only to find later he could have shot it!
Cheers
Richard
Hound hunting is the most effective way to get them, not a cake walk like many people think but is a good way to get them. The no nothing snowflakes had bear and lion hunting with dogs banned in my state about 25 years ago. They ran a TV commercial of a lion that had been let out of a cage and then run down by dogs and shot out of a tree. It was disgusting to watch it, the sheeple fell for it and hounds got banned. I have hunted bear with hounds, never got one. It is a very physical thing, you can't even appreciate it until you have done it. In dogless hunting it's the shot that requires the skill, in hound hunting, it's the chase.

Woodsmoke

I was thinking that the 100 gr. would go through and through a lion. You, don't think it will?
I honestly don't know. My thinking was that a light, fast bullet would penetrate and then lose most of its energy inside, while the heavier 7.62 might pass through? That's just me thinking out loud though, as I have little experience of the .243, and only fmj experience of the 7.62 when I used to fire the SLR

PKL

H&H 240 Apex,,now that's a class hunt ;)

That said, the only feline I'd shoot is my wife's damn cat! LOL

LeftHandGuy

Tikka .243 and a Ruger American in 7.62 both are scoped.
Ok. I’d change my mind then. The Ruger American is rifle I grudgingly like, after having shot one and found it to be much better than it should be for the price, but a Tikka is hands down a better rifle.

I’d pick the rifle over the cartridge every time.

A Guy Out West

I brought this subject up because my 12 year old got a game call for Christmas and he is begging to go varmint hunting. In the area we hunt we could run into coyotes, fox. bobcats, and lions. Fox and bobcats require another license and a tag for bobcats so they are off the list, not spending any more money on tags. In all likelyhood, I think we would be lucky to call in a coyote. It's kind of hard for a 12 year old to sit still. On a promising note though, we have received a lot of snow recently in the mountains and that will cause the deer to come off the mountain and yard up in the flat lands at the base. With the deer will come the lions, so we do have a fairly good chance of seeing one if we do our part. If you want to see our hunting area you can find it on Google Earth. Check our White River Wildlife Management area in Oregon. We usually hunt the south end, just south of Smock meadow. A guy that was hunting antler sheds got one there last year, they are there, just have to put the time in. I have a friend that has gotten 3 lions by calling and it sounds thrilling to say the least. I will be carrying my Remington 870 loaded with 00 as back up. Now to find the time to make it happen.

A Guy Out West

Ok. I’d change my mind then. The Ruger American is rifle I grudgingly like, after having shot one and found it to be much better than it should be for the price, but a Tikka is hands down a better rifle.

I’d pick the rifle over the cartridge every time.
I feel the exact same way about the Ruger. At first you think it's a piece of junk and then after shooting it, you realize it's a steal for the price.

LeftHandGuy

I feel the exact same way about the Ruger. At first you think it's a piece of junk and then after shooting it, you realize it's a steal for the price.
Yes, if I could get one with a stock length to fit me I'd have one without complaint - they are significantly nicer than most of the other rifles in the same/similar price bracket (Savage Axis, Remington 783 etc).

The Tikkas though have all been long enough for me shoot comfortably. I can't really compare the two for accuracy as both have been at least as accurate as me (I've shot more Tikkas).

The Tikka is smoother to cycle, and the magazine appears more robust. The Ruger appears to be styled after the T3, and it does have the advantage of a tang safety.

At the end of the day I'd take either rifle, but in a straight choice with no other considerations I'd have more faith in the Tikka than the Ruger...

Orion

Yes, if I could get one with a stock length to fit me I'd have one without complaint - they are significantly nicer than most of the other rifles in the same/similar price bracket (Savage Axis, Remington 783 etc).
MagPul Hunter Ruger American short action stock should sort that for you with adjustable LoP and comb height. Muir has one on a 6.5 Creedmoor Predator Link

A Guy Out West, have you seen the film ‘Wind River’ a thriller with a wildlife slant and IIRC set in Wyoming but you might find it interesting.

Last edited:

A Guy Out West

MagPul Hunter Ruger American short action stock should sort that for you with adjustable LoP and comb height. Muir has one on a 6.5 Creedmoor Predator Link

A Guy Out West, have you seen the film ‘Wind River’ a thriller with a wildlife slant and IIRC set in Wyoming but you might find it interesting.
I did see it. It was entertaining. So funny to see the guy go flying when hit by the 45/70.

Orion

I did see it. It was entertaining. So funny to see the guy go flying when hit by the 45/70.
Yeah, I know they can pack a punch, but after seeing the Wildlife Ranger at the reloading bench, I was wondering how he’d swapped his lever gun for a .50BMG! :lol: