customs charges unreal ?

AlbaTaxidermy

:cry: Can anyone enlighten me on custom charges as i just got some items from the usa and had £145+ 8 charge on $468 is the rate 40%ish or what,surely this cannot be right and how would i question it ?

duty charged on cost of goods +postage then vat added to total amount and the handling fee added which has vat on it as well:coat:I think you will just have to pay up and look happy if you want to see your order. If you are vat reg you can claim the vat @20% back but not the import duty.

Bob

I just bought a knife from A G Russell for £202, paid £8 charge for a £37 import tax today, no vat unless that was it, marked up as total £45.32 deerwarden

duty charged on cost of goods +postage then vat added to total amount and the handling fee added which has vat on it as well:coat:I think you will just have to pay up and look happy if you want to see your order. If you are vat reg you can claim the vat @20% back but not the import duty.

Bob

Bobs absolutely correct.

It was told to me thus:-

Cost of item + any import duty
Item+Duty+ shipping is added then you pay VAT on the new total.

They can and do also charge Import duty and VAT on work done in another country.

I was getting prices for the import of a White tail mount from the US.

i mate that seems a bit excessive i bought a stock from Boyds the total from them was $150 when it got here arshole force said i owed them £25.that was £8 paperwork charge £17. VAT so i think you should be questioning the charges and tell the customs you want a complete breakdown of all the charges.

paul

I was unpleasantly surprised last year to discover that if you send a warranty item back overseas and the manufacturer decides to replace rather than repair it that you have to pay VAT on the replacement before they will clear it for delivery.

Joe_bloggs,

Parcelforce are acting as your Agent for the Import process. They are the ones who are liable to pay all Duty and VAT on the shipment. Should you decline to pay, receive the shipment or even if it's wrongly addressed and not for you, they have still paid.

Why do you think it's somehow wrong for them to make a charge?

My own Company has a £200,000 bond held by my own bank such that I can have a defferment account of £100,000 a month with HMRC in order to import. I don't earn anything on MY £200,000 and still have to pay upto £100,000 every month on Duty and VAT.

This is business.

Stan

I was unpleasantly surprised last year to discover that if you send a warranty item back overseas and the manufacturer decides to replace rather than repair it that you have to pay VAT on the replacement before they will clear it for delivery.

think you were had.
I have had stuff shipped back here without charge under warranty. you cant pay tax twice on the same fecking item.
keep all receipts to get it back

you will also find the tax you on value of goods AND shipping cost!

thieves

think you were had.
I have had stuff shipped back here without charge under warranty. you cant pay tax twice on the same fecking item.
keep all receipts to get it back

you will also find the tax you on value of goods AND shipping cost!

thieves

My initial response was the same as yours, but after an exchange of letters and calls, presentation of receipts and correspondence, etc. I was shown it in black and white: you can -and have to- pay tax if the item returned is not the same unit as was sent out, i.e. a replacement rather than a repair.

did you get the tax back on the item you no longer have and had paid tax on then?! doesnt sound right to me.
you have paid tax on two items and only have one

Back