Cutting skulls? Advice needed

wildfowler.250

So I’ve got a few skulls which I’d like to cut long nose. A few have been measured as well. There’s a mix of roe , sika and fallow. I’ve tried the bushwear jig for the roe and find it hard going.

Is there an easy way around it? I’m worried I’ll mess them up but I think the long nose cuts sit better.

How much would a taxidermist charge usually for this,(assuming the head was cleaned and bleached ect)?

I’m well aware I can’t undo it if I make a hash of it and there’s one or two nice ones 😅

Cheers!

Get a pencil, a selection of blocks (I use the kids old duplo as it holds the pencils well haha).

I then put the skull on a flat surface (teeth down) and mark it up using the pencil on block, both sides above the teeth but below the nose and round the back of the skull cavity, I then just get a hacksaw (use cheap blades without paint as they leave the paint behind) and cut in from each side and then at the back - done heaps like this.

Get a pencil, a selection of blocks (I use the kids old duplo as it holds the pencils well haha).

I then put the skull on a flat surface (teeth down) and mark it up using the pencil on block, both sides above the teeth but below the nose and round the back of the skull cavity, I then just get a hacksaw (use cheap blades without paint as they leave the paint behind) and cut in from each side and then at the back - done heaps like this.

This is what I do. You are essentially scribing a straight pencil line onto the skull.

Skin the head, then mark a line between the front of the teeth and the ear hole. Same for the other side, then join the two lines up across the top of the skull. Cut down the line with bone saw or ordinary one, as long as it's sharp. Job done. Or cut along the side line and trim with a sander.

Cheers gents, I’ll start with a sh1t one and see how it goes. It’s probably not hard at all but it can be a pricy mistake to get wrong going by some of the trophy fees 😭😂

Skin the head, then mark a line between the front of the teeth and the ear hole. Same for the other side, then join the two lines up across the top of the skull. Cut down the line with bone saw or ordinary one, as long as it's sharp. Job done. Or cut along the side line and trim with a sander.
This.

I have found a floorboard saw leaves the best finish. Smaller teeth like a mitre for a better finish and deep enough blade to control and not make a wonky cut

Back