CWD - best timing please?

Naseby

I plan to book a couple of days on CWD. I have good flexibility across their season and my question is whether to go early, late or mid-season or whether it matters much?

If it helps, I'm thinking of two doing two days with AM and PM stalks, so four in all. Accompanied on the first two stalks and then two AW stalks on the second day when I might know the ground better.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
CWD normally rut around late December early January, but this year it could be earlier. It appears the Red and Sika rut is starting slightly earlier in some places. But then again it has been a rather odd season all the way round in my opinion.

Leading up to the rut for CWD it is easier to sex them as the bucks are marking areas and wandering around, you might even see some chasing and therefore it makes it easier to sex them from a distance.

ATB

Naseby

CWD normally rut around late December early January, but this year it could be earlier. It appears the Red and Sika rut is starting slightly earlier in some places. But then again it has been a rather odd season all the way round in my opinion.

Leading up to the rut for CWD it is easier to sex them as the bucks are marking areas and wandering around, you might even see some chasing and therefore it makes it easier to sex them from a distance.

ATB

Thanks for that response, if I was to book outside the rut would you advise before or after?