CZ 527 .22Hornet mag

courser

Is the CZ .22 hornet magazine the worst in the world? Cleaned it, tested the springs, checked O,A,L, replaced it, new one just as bad. Ended up using a sled. The rifle itself shoots great, but I’m bloody fed up with the mags, I have three mags, all the same. Thinking of changing it for another make of rifle! Any suggestions?

Hornet 6

What is it doing ?
Best guess, they are wrongly assembled, first bullet loads ok, second one ends up with the rim locked behind the round under it.
The spring is fitted the wrong way round.

Neil.

beanieboy

I have the CZ527 in 17 Hornet. Same magazine as the 22. The spring is very tight and getting that fifth round in is very difficult. It feeds well though and I suppose the spring will wear in. I keep it fully loaded to keep the spring compressed between outings.

courser

What is it doing ?
Best guess, they are wrongly assembled, first bullet loads ok, second one ends up with the rim locked behind the round under it.

Neil.
We’re case, What is it doing ?

Neil.
Checked springs on all three mags, all ok, loaded mags very carefully to avoid rim locking behind lower bullet, checked OAL fine, thought maybe it’s the bolt, stripped it, polished it, it is now like glass, one mag worked for a while and then a log jam and had to dismantle mag to remove bullets. The only thing I have not done is hit it with a hammer, a big hammer!!!

courser

Checked that at first, identical to expioded view ! It looks like I have a accurate single shot!!!

mealiejimmy

I have a CZ527 in 22 hornet with 2 mags.
I very occasionally get a cartridge rimlocked, but I don't need to disassemble the magazine to resolve the issue.
Simply tilt up the bullet end of the rimlocked cartridge until is is vertical (at 90 degrees to the other cartridges)
That will either unlock the rim or force the cartridge below it to move forward so that you can press down on the lower cartridge(s) and then slide to top cartridge out of the magazine.

Cheers

Bruce

sir-lamp-alot

From memory when i had my .22 hornet (cz527) the mag was ok as long as you only had no more than 3 rounds in it, it wasnt so much as a fix just a get around

Muir

.... thought maybe it’s the bolt, stripped it, polished it, it is now like glass....
What was the logic behind this??
What bullet are you using? I have two CZ mags that are bad (none Hornet. One 223 and one 7,62x39) but I simply wore them out.~Muir

Last edited:

courser

The logic is I was trying everything and the bolt was “clunky” to say the least. I had bought a bolt handle from glade armoury as I was having problems with the original CZ bolt handle catching the optic part of the scope. I now have a bolt that is very smooth, (not connected with my mag problem, I don’t think) I use the standard hand load, PPU Brass, 35g vmax 13g little gun, small pistol primers, sometimes 40g vmax using a sled, The general advice on the Stalking directory is; you must have the mag springs the wrong way, this is not the case. When you say that you wore them out, did the problem return with new mags? Could there be some other cause other than the mags? -Alan. “Courser”

courser

The mags work fine, if properly set up, yours need to be adjusted.

Neil.
Would you give the same advice to Muir? should he have adjusted the two bad mags that he had, before he wore them out? If so, perhaps you could advise him.
Alan

courser

Would you give the same advice to Muir? should he have adjusted the two bad mags that he had, before he wore them out? If so, perhaps you could advise him.
Alan
Neil, if “the mags work fine” why do they need to be adjusted? You have given me a solution (unexplained) to a problem that you say does not exist ! I appreciate your help, ( and that from Muir ) but the fact remains, that when I shoot my CZ Hornet, I end up, or can end up with a log jam in the mag, or the bolt won’t close. The spring in the mag, has been checked and checked again, it is as per the CZ manual. Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere? Could there be a problem with the chamber? Could there be a problem with the bedding? Could the problem be me? Perhaps my reloadIng is at fault in some way? I have just full length resized fifty PPU new brass and will seat at book OAL, which I always do.
Others, have sent in threads stating the same problem, (see “sir-lamp-a lot”), Whilst I really appreciate your advice, I am no further forward in resolving the problem. Perhaps, those who have or have had the same problem could comment.
Alan.

Hornet 6

I did not say there was no issue with the mags, I said with careful set up they work fine.
All three I had had issues. all the same result, bullets tilted in the stack with the rims interlocked.
It's caused by the lifter plate tipping because the spring pressure is wrong, or the lifter is bent, or
the ends are at wrong angle, and or missing.
No I wouldn't try to tell Muir the same thing as you, he at least would have provided pictures of the problem
something you seem unable to do.

courser

Why do you assume that I am unable to send photos? Why would a photograph of a magazine help? Although I have checked the lifter and compared it with the lifter from another mag, You know what the mag looks like! although your comments regarding the lifter plate seems valid. ( there I go, playing your game, making assumptions) Anyway. it seems that you are unable to help Any further, although I am very grateful for your advice given.

Muir

The logic is I was trying everything and the bolt was “clunky” to say the least. I had bought a bolt handle from glade armoury as I was having problems with the original CZ bolt handle catching the optic part of the scope. I now have a bolt that is very smooth, (not connected with my mag problem, I don’t think) I use the standard hand load, PPU Brass, 35g vmax 13g little gun, small pistol primers, sometimes 40g vmax using a sled, The general advice on the Stalking directory is; you must have the mag springs the wrong way, this is not the case. When you say that you wore them out, did the problem return with new mags? Could there be some other cause other than the mags? -Alan. “Courser”
So the bolt was really a separate "while I'm at it" kind of an issue then. I can see that.

As to my CZ mags, I still have them sitting in front of me on my desk. I will tweak them at some point. I believe the 7.62x39 magazine took some blunt trauma that causes the follower to stick and the cartridges to go wonky. It just drags enough to matter when combined with the pressure of the cartridges against the side wall. I'm looking at the 223 mag and if I remember correctly the problem is just the opposite. The fed lips are sprung outwards. I really don't remember as it was in a second hand 527 that I bought and when it misbehaved, I tossed it on the desk and broke out a new one.

I have many 527's in a range of chamberings. These are my two problem children to date though I have a half dozen potential problems still in their packages ready to surface. I did stone the underside of the 204's feed lips because they were scratching the brass heavily. I mean stone lightly, not file.~Muir

courser

Thanks. Muir, I also have a CZ .223, slight problems with mag but nothing to worry about. I also stoned the feed lips of the the hornet but probably erred on the side of caution as I did not want to make matters worst. Perhaps the spring, although it is in the correct way round is stretched or compressed by a small amount, I bought it second hand, how could I find out? I really appreciate your courteous reply’s, not always the case with some. I have tried to buy a new mag but they are hard to get hold of. It’s a case of trial and error.
keep safe,
Alan

David N

Firstly I know nothing but have a cz 17 hornet. I notice that there are 2 different types of mags for both the hornet's. I have a 22 hornet mag that does not work in my 17. Your more than welcome to try it.
The difference is quite marked.

1623704564283.png

1623704370874.png

Last edited:

courser

Thanks very much David, It could be of great help, I have tried to purchase another hornet mag from ukmags but they are out of stock. PM me or call, my telephone number is; 07484333301 where do you live? Perhaps I could come over and pick it up. I live in Bury, greater Manchester. The kindness of fellow SD members never ceases to amaze me.
stay safe.
Alan