CZ 527 - are they any good

Heym SR20

I am toying with the idea of a lightweight rilfe for use on Roe / Foxes at close range - most shots are well under 100yds so needs to be accurate enough, but clover leafs at 400 yds are really just academic.

And then with my Heym SR20 in .243 having it rebarraled with a walther barrel to 7x64 for use on the hill.

Needs to be left handed.

Also would probably be moderated, so needs to be short in barrel so it still balances properly - hanging 500 gms on the end of the Heym would make it very combersome and heavy.

The little CZ 527 looks a nice little rifle, particularly as they are now available left handed. Calibre would be .223 - are they any good??

The CZ.22 rf are good honest rifles, likewise their big bores.

Appreciate bedding etc may not be the best, but that's not an issue to me as this be easily rectified. Likewise bolt may a bit rough when new, but again nothing that a bit of polish and elbow greese can't sort out.

I have had a look at a T3 and whilst know that many love them, bit too plasticy for me.

I had a CZ 527 right handed with a varmint barrel 25.5". These rifles are a bit stiff at the start, magazine is tough to get in. That all get s better with time. The big plus for the 527 is that tiny mauser action which is just lovely. The almost 26" varmint was the same weight as a remmy sporter.
So a 527 sporter would be very light and handy.
Mine had the 1 in 12 twist and shot 55gr. very well. Almost anything I shot through it made it under an inch.
Very good cheapy rounds for fox and rabbit where the Fed american eagle 50gr hp, rem umc 45gr hp these two grouped 1/4" if I was up to it. Best and most consistent was the sako 55gr sp (I think these are designed for roe).
Edi

DSCN0673.jpg

DSCN0725-1.jpg

foxslayerCZ.jpg

I have a 222 in CZ527 American, I like it a lot. It is accurate and not too badly balanced with a T8 sat on the end of it. I shoot anything from 40 to 55 grains in it. I have never taken a Roe with this particular gun but, I would not hesitate to do so.

John

cz

my cousin ben has one, it is ace. cheap, accurate, sturdy and well finished. i would buy one in a shot. he uses 50 gr norma soft points on foxes and long crows. It is poison on them

steve

My first foxing rifle was a second hand 527. It had been used and abused it looked disgusting with an almost yellow wood stock but it shot as well as any rifle I've ever owned and I have owned a few :oops:

Wayne

l have had one a while now in 243 and it has served me very well shot well strait from the box.

Get onto Micheal Dickenson of Brno guns

really honest guy, lots of guns, also got some of the old brnos left with a better finish than the cz's (in my opinion) he is also left handed so should be able to find something

Sam said:
Get onto Micheal Dickenson of Brno guns

really honest guy, lots of guns, also got some of the old brnos left with a better finish than the cz's (in my opinion) he is also left handed so should be able to find something

here's a link www.BRNOGuns.co.uk
by the way welcome to the site young sam

Heym SR20 said:
I am toying with the idea of a lightweight rilfe for use on Roe / Foxes at close range - most shots are well under 100yds so needs to be accurate enough, but clover leafs at 400 yds are really just academic.

And then with my Heym SR20 in .243 having it rebarraled with a walther barrel to 7x64 for use on the hill.

Needs to be left handed.

Also would probably be moderated, so needs to be short in barrel so it still balances properly - hanging 500 gms on the end of the Heym would make it very combersome and heavy.

The little CZ 527 looks a nice little rifle, particularly as they are now available left handed. Calibre would be .223 - are they any good??

The CZ.22 rf are good honest rifles, likewise their big bores.

Appreciate bedding etc may not be the best, but that's not an issue to me as this be easily rectified. Likewise bolt may a bit rough when new, but again nothing that a bit of polish and elbow greese can't sort out.

I have had a look at a T3 and whilst know that many love them, bit too plasticy for me.

The CZ 527 is a class gun. I have a .223 used mostly for foxes and I couldn't fault it. It has a set trigger, heavy barrel and HS Precision kevlar stock. It is lightweight, well balanced and extremely accurate out of the box. I use it in combination with a Swarovski scope and Sako 55 grn rounds and it is lethal on the local fox population.

Here's an article that helped me decide when I was buying:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/cz_0728/#cont

It's a pleasing looking gun too.

I've got a CZ 550 american in 7x57 and CZ452 in .17hmr (16" varmint) and both a quality firearms. I feel the CZ brand offers good value for money and whilst they are a "bit rough around the edges" i feel you get a lot of gun for your money. To me a rifle is a tool designed to do a job - something which they perform very well.

I feel you cant go wrong with a CZ.

I have the 527 American,(or possibly it's the lux). Nice light gun, set trigger is good,(normal trigger isn't too bad either). The bolt is a bit stiff but that's most likely due to the fact that I haven't used it much. So far I've had 4 shots for 4 roe with it..that will do me!

Oh and it's a .223 :D

I have a 222 in CZ527 American, I like it a lot. It is accurate and not too badly balanced with a T8 sat on the end of it. I shoot anything from 40 to 55 grains in it. I have never taken a Roe with this particular gun but, I would not hesitate to do so.

John

I have this rifle now, excellent bit of gear. The magazine is stiff to put in and take out as mentioned elsewhere.
The set trigger is fine also. I blotted 5 Carrions and 2 Magpies with it yesterday using 50gr Sierra blitz, it also liked the 52gr Speer HP when I had some in stock.
Currently I use 24.8 grains of BLC2 and the CCI 400 primer in RP brass.

HWH.

CZ 527 in .22 hornet. Never let me down and a nice light rifle to carry around.

Andy

Last edited:
I had the 527 in Lux class and chambered in .223. Fantastic little gun that i sadly had to part with due to raised min calibre restrictions on my syndicate.

I still miss it.

Back