CZ 550 404 Jeffery Vs Blaser R93 416 Remington

M275

There's more recoil with the larger cartridges but making the rifles heavier moderates it nicely. The CZs get heavier with the larger calibres, whereas Blasers don't seem to.

mchughcb

My R93 is about 3.1kg with the 30-06 barrel and 3kg with the 9.3x62 barrel. However it is 3.6kg and front heavy with the 416 barrel. Its a sporter so I had the stock channelled out to handle the 22mm safari profile.

It recoils around 67ftlb. So no use have the backslap after firing one shot. You need to fire 6 and they need to be in the 10 ring.

scrumbag

Blaser and Remington combined?!? What an abomination!!!! 2 wrongs definitely do not make a right...

I think I was just sick in my mouth...

(Heavy case of leg pulling here!)

tackb

the kind of game you shoot with dangerous game calibres like that would lead me to use a double rifle , be interesting to see how a double ejector fared against these time wise ?

mchughcb

That is a very good question however for this event it must be a bolt action with minimum 338 cal and 2900 ftlb of energy.

scrumbag

the kind of game you shoot with dangerous game calibres like that would lead me to use a double rifle , be interesting to see how a double ejector fared against these time wise ?
The BSRC runs a couple of "Dangerous Game" calibre comps and practices each year.

One of the comps is called the special snap where from 35 yds you shoots 8 shots in 30 seconds.

The guys with 9.3s and 35 Whelans tend to do quite well as can load 5 or 6 to start.

Where the bigger calibres (0.4" and up) start to run into trouble is the capacity for magazine rifles tend to top out at 4 or maybe 3. After you've rattled through your magazine loading starts to get you into difficulties and the double guys tend to catch up.

Scrummy

bowji john

It was Scrumbag's link to that very comp that started off my desire to develop and run the DG weekends

I'm still hoping to develop a simpler large bore comp to compliment those weekends but it is littered with red tape and legal potholes

Heym SR20

I’ve shot an r93 in 300 win mag a few times - it’s uncomfortable and not nice. I have shot properly weighted wooden stock 375 and 416 rigby - a healthy shove, but not uncomfortable.

A mauser action is tough, reliable and control round feed. In the bush a bit of dust is not going to stop it. An r93 or r8 has far too many little components that dust /dirt will stop then quickly.

A double is simple. Two shots quickly, and a quick easy reload another two. Yes a magazine has three or four rounds but in a stopping rifle its the first two shots that count. And you need to be able to reload without looking at the rifle. With a magazine that takes a lot of practice.