CZ 550 AMERICAN 6.5X55

sussex lad

Right i'm on the verge of ordering myself one in 6.5x55.

But before i do i thought i would ask you chaps for any thoughts/ comments
I have narrowed my choice down to the CZ because...

I dont want to put a huge amount of cash into this deer rifle as it will only be used for odd stalk and maybe a fox or two.
Plus i need to get myself a S&B 8X56 and a mod.
I already have a .223 which i do most of my c/fire shooting with.
I like the look and fit of this rifle, the quality seem fantastic and everything i read about them is good.
So my mind is pretty much made up, but any hands on experiance would be great to hear.
Many thanks,
Brian.

I had one a few years ago and the front stud pulled out while I had the rifle over my shoulder, luckily I caught the rifle before it fell so no damage done.
It turned out the studs, both front and rear, were just ordinary screw in type and the wood on the front of the stock was not very thick so the screw was rather short and just pulled out.
I took it back to Andersons who put a new stud on that had a screw on the inside of the stock and from then on all was fine.
The latest ones may not still have that problem but it is worth checking out.
Apart from that, you cannot go wrong with your choice. The only reason 'most' people don't keep them long is because they get fed up with being slagged off for having a 'cheap CZ' and it grates after a while, uneccessarily I might add.

I've got a CZ 550 american in .243. It does the job very well considering it was only 350 quid brand new (that was about 5 years ago).

Its topped off with a £125 Edgar Bros scope (but I would upgrade that if I didn't have other plans in mind.

I have the version with a single set trigger (push forward to set). This is where my only gripe lies, but its as much to do with me as the rifle. I have average length fingers but when the trigger is set it is a long way forward in the guard and is just a bit to far away. the click to set the trigger is quite loud as well. without setting the trigger though the pull is so bad its useless. Fortunately most replacement trigger makers make a unit that fits more or less straight in to this action and that's the treatment mine is getting when I get round to it.

I would say go for it, its about the cheapest rifle you can buy and with a £50 trigger job it'll be just fine.

I don't have a mod for it but I would get one, my next rifle is going to have one. I'm not trading up because this gun is no good but I want to go to the other end of the spectrum and get a rifle custom built in .308 and I hope its going to be the D's B's!

Did my DSC 1 a couple of weeks ago, all three shots on the group test could be covered by a £1 coin. That'll do for me!
[/img]

I've got a CZ550 American in 7x57mm and i love it. There are some nicer makes out (I looked at the Heym SR30 at the CLA and it was gorgeous) but i simply cant afford to spend that amount of money. To me, a rifle is a tool designed to do a job and £400 rifle does the same as a £1300 one. That aside, the CZ is well made and shoot well. Just done my first loads and am off to Bisley in the morning to test them out.

The wife also bought me a CZ452 in .17HMR for mt birthday at the CLA - shooting it for the first time tomorrow and cant wait!

Get one - you wont be disspointed

Go for it mate, I have 1 with a S&B 8x56 on and no complaints. Only slight down side is feels a bit unbalanced with mod on but if your shooting of a bipod not a problem.
Great value for the money!!

Get it and you will not be disappointed, I have 3 CZ's and they are excellent value for money plus being a good gun, IMHO

2004_1231Image0124.jpg

This one just happens to be a 6.5X55, with a S&B 6X42, and although not shown it usually wears it's T8. That's as close as I can get to your specs :D

John

Thanks for the replys guys :D
My minds made up for sure now!
Just need to find one in stock somewhere :(
John you dont want to sell yours by anychance do you :lol:
Its pretty damm close to how i want to set mine up....

Ps what do you feed yours with John? Do you reload or is it factory?

That rifle has never had a factory round through it in it's life. At present I am using up the Last of my Hornady 129 gr Interlocks, Lapua brass, CCI LR primers 45 grains of H4350. I have used the same round on Roe and Sika and it does the job admirably.

I have some Hornady 140 gr Interlock and 160 gr RN Interlock loaded and ready to test, just ain't got around to it yet.

You want to buy it? did you win the lottery :D :D

John

JAYB said:
That rifle has never had a factory round through it in it's life. At present I am using up the Last of my Hornady 129 gr Interlocks, Lapua brass, CCI LR primers 45 grains of H4350. I have used the same round on Roe and Sika and it does the job admirably.

I have some Hornady 140 gr Interlock and 160 gr RN Interlock loaded and ready to test, just ain't got around to it yet.

You want to buy it? did you win the lottery :D :D

John

Funny you should say that...

Yes i did win a tenner last night :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the load info, i have the lapua brass and CCI BR primers and H4350 but the only heads my local had was 120 gr Nosler BT's.
So they will have to do for now.

Sussex Lad you are correct in spending your money on the S&B scope and then on the CZ Rifle - go for it.

I use a Brno .22rf and used use an Brno in 375.

CZ's and the older BRNO's are very good honest solid rifles and the likes of Rigby JR Roberts and others have used the actions as the basis for very very nice custom rifles. New they can feel a little rough when opening and closing the bolt but once they wear in they are very nice to use. Triggers can be a bit heavy but easily sorted.

May also worth considering glass bedding at some time - but shoot it first with several different brands of ammo.

Generally they have pretty good walnut, but hidden underneath a poor varnish / lacquer type finish which can be stripped off and a good quality hand rubbed oil finish applied to bring up the beauty of the wood.

My one problem with CZ's is that they have yet to produce their big centre fires with a bolt hanlde on the correct side for a left hander.

bigdan said:
sussex lad said:
I pick up the cz 550 tomorrow after work :D :D[

when do you fancy trying it out brian? how about tomorrow night?
Sorry m8 i cant, wifey is of to see that Mama Mia crap with her m8's :(
I also have to load some ammo once i have checked the OAL etc.
Going away to a wedding at the w/end so it might have to be next week
:(
Unless you can do thurs??

Zoli

Henry Krank in Pudsey West Yorkshire import Zoli rifles from Italy. I had a look at a 6.5 Swede recently and was well impressed. A nice looking sporting rifle with pleasant lines, well figured stock and engraved action. Don't know much about them but I couldn't fault the workmanship and with a nice trigger pull. Less than £600 so maybe worth a look. They also have it in 7x57 so I'm tempted to write my Christmas wish list early.

Hey sussex lad,did you get the cz? whats it like ?ive been toying with the same idea myself you see,although i love the heym its a bit much for me right now,maybe you could put up a pic or two of your new toy :)

just ordered the CZ550 American in 6.5x55 for deer and fox too, and I'll fit it with a Wildcat Predator 8 mod too (I have the CZ452 in 17HMR with one of these and can't fault it). Then it's just a matter of choosing which scope to put on it. I can't fault CZ build quality, but I have seriously modified the 452 with a Bushnell 3-9x50 Banner Dusk and Dawn, a Predator 8 mod, a 9.5 to 13.5 Harris bypod, a laminated Boyds thumbhole stock, and a trigger kit too
I know this thread is old, but wondering about how those who bought their 550's are getting on with them now, and did CZ manage to fix the swivel stud problem ?

Last edited:
Henry Krank in Pudsey West Yorkshire import Zoli rifles from Italy. I had a look at a 6.5 Swede recently and was well impressed. A nice looking sporting rifle with pleasant lines, well figured stock and engraved action. Don't know much about them but I couldn't fault the workmanship and with a nice trigger pull. Less than £600 so maybe worth a look. They also have it in 7x57 so I'm tempted to write my Christmas wish list early.

The Zoli is a reincarnation of the Husqvarna 1900 rifle which was a quality design.

just ordered the CZ550 American in 6.5x55 for deer and fox too, and I'll fit it with a Wildcat Predator 8 mod too (I have the CZ452 in 17HMR with one of these and can't fault it). Then it's just a matter of choosing which scope to put on it. I can't fault CZ build quality, but I have seriously modified the 452 with a Bushnell 3-9x50 Banner Dusk and Dawn, a Predator 8 mod, a 9.5 to 13.5 Harris bypod, a laminated Boyds thumbhole stock, and a trigger kit too
I know this thread is old, but wondering about how those who bought their 550's are getting on with them now, and did CZ manage to fix the swivel stud problem ?

My 550 is old but a standard not an american. Nice rifle, no problem with swivel stud.

Back