CZ Stock Chop

Our passion is your passion... stalk with us!

8x57

Distinguished Member
One coat of primer, two coats of undercoat and a final coat of dulux gloss in magnolia, or perhaps you would rather creosote it. :rofl:

Obviously work in progress, what will the final shape be like and do you intend to fit a recoil pad or but plate.

john444334

One coat of primer, two coats of undercoat and a final coat of dulux gloss in magnolia, or perhaps you would rather creosote it. :rofl:

Obviously work in progress, what will the final shape be like and do you intend to fit a recoil pad or but plate.

I Don't Think Charlie Would Care If It Was Barby Pink!:gheyfight:

It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the colour of the rifle.

Brithunter

Well I suppose to anyone but you you have taken a rifle worth several hundred and turned it into one worth about £75 maybe.

I have seen raised combs fitted and done well that the enhance a rifle. I cannot in all honesty say that's what you have done.

bobjs

cricket anyone,

sorry bud but thats just a shame.....................even to a cz stock,

bob.

joe soapy

cricket anyone,

sorry bud but thats just a shame.....................even to a cz stock,

bob.
whats the problem, Its obvious the original stock did not fit the shooter.
He has modified it so that it fits his own perhaps unusual body shape using what looks like immaculate joinery.
​A gunstock that does not fit is just another bit of wood awaiting the wood burner

john444334

The Rifle was bought for keeps, At 275 then I sold scope and mounts for 100 so the gun owes me 175. It shoots straight and it is only my work gun. Each time it saves a lamb its money well spent. My problem was with it was the European drop style stock made for open sights. It took over 2 inches of pipe foam and tape to raise the comb enough for me to mount the gun so I could see down the scope.

The original varnish was 2 pack epoxy, this took over a week to remove with a verity of different products and a lot of scraping. At this time I new the stock would need painting as some of the wood had been damaged with the vanish remover.

The comb has been raised and I have added some length, I cut off anything I did not need. I still need to shape the stock and fit a butt plate. It was a bit trial and error I have already finished the front of the stock to a shape that I thought look good, But the biggest problem was the amount it had to be cut back to allow the bolt to be removed.

Tool used so far hand saw, rasp, sand paper, glue.

Any advances on some thing to paint it with?

nicholiath

If it was mine i would first of all stain it to try to blend the different woods together and then oil finish or for quick result paint it with any exterior grade varnish.

Brithunter

Of course the easiest answer would have been to fit a scope with proper height mounts and probably stick with a reasonable objective like 42/44mm. That would have made this all unnecessary. Instead there is a scope to rival hubble and pylon height mounts = problems.

I would also suggest looking closely at your mounting technique as most with those sort of problems are really scrunching down onto the comb which is not necessary. Try shooting with the neck in a natural position and bring the rifle up to the shoulder rather than cramming down on the stock. Not only is it more comfortable but it also allows better breathing due to the neck being in a normal natural relaxed position.

As for paint well use what you want as it cannot make it much worse really can it?

old keeper

There have been some pretty disgusting replies to the OP, with the last one from Brithunter being, in my opinion downright rude!

The rifle belongs to the OP and he can do with it as he wants, he asked for advice and the good old SD regulars come in leaping once again on the "lets have a go at someone" bandwagon. Fortunately there were some sensible replies. Whatever you may think of some of the "advice" you were given, carry on, as long as you're happy thats all that matters.

Klenchblaize

The word I believe we are looking for here is long but succinct:

AESTHETIC!

130525091437279-1.jpg

K

old keeper

Aesthetic fits the Klenchblaize stock perfectly, a thing of beauty.

However as someone who once owned a pair of hammer Purdeys (not expensive when I got them) beauty can be a disadvantage, I was almost afraid to take them out in case they got scratched. Perhaps the OP just wants a rifle to use and providing it does the job for him itsn't too concerned about the appearance.

Sinistral

Aesthetic fits the Klenchblaize stock perfectly, a thing of beauty.

However as someone who once owned a pair of hammer Purdeys (not expensive when I got them) beauty can be a disadvantage, I was almost afraid to take them out in case they got scratched. Perhaps the OP just wants a rifle to use and providing it does the job for him itsn't too concerned about the appearance.

I think the adjective is misapplied here, gents. 'Functional' is a more fitting description, but this term is stretched on a thumbhole stock.

I agree with the OP that the hogsback stock fitted to the Classic CZ527 is pretty awful. The previous owner must have been desperate to get rid of it at that price, so the OP got a bargain IF it was in .223 and in good nick - rather than .222 which now go for a lot less ££'s.

I think it might have been wiser to have spent more on the right rifle by buying the pricier 'American' model, and then concentrated on lowering the 'scope height & sight picture by reducing the CZ bolt elbow. This stock is really naff, and is an embarrassing admission of the length (sorry) that's needed to remedy something that didn't really suit in the first place ..... maybe bought on a whim because it was cheap.

Usually this left field stuff just induces a shrug & passes me by, but extreme bad taste can be too provocative sometimes.:rolleyes:

charadam

Now this is where "taste" goes wrong.

I look at Klenchblaize's post and what I see is an over designed, over-shiny piece of plywood.

I look at the OP's work and see form led by function resulting in kit that suits the OP - and only the OP.

And since it is his rifle, what business is it of anybody else what it looks like!

And in answer to the question the OP asked - any 2-pack varnish, since it is your working rifle and probably needs to be easily maintained.

ruby tuesday

did the same to my rimfire as off the bipod the stock just didnt fit sprayed mine with black matt car paint and it looks ok but more important it shoots brilliant.

mereside

I like it and i think i will have a bash at the P&h and also the bsa stutzen , to the original op try staining to get a colour match the lion brand do an exellent set of stains in any colour, atb wayne