CZ527 .22Horner mag issue

Jamesy13

Hi there

I’ve got the above rifle which is a 1993 model. I bought it very cheaply second hand and it’s in great condition and shoots straight but has one issue.

After firing a shot the bolt won’t slide back to extract the empty shell, if I unclip the mag and drop it slightly, it extracts fine. I opened up the mag and there is a little rust in it, I cleaned it as much as I can and oiled it, it did extract a couple of shells but now it’s back the same.

Does it sound like it just needs a new mag?

Thanks

Sonicdmb73

Check to see if the inserts are in the stock screw holes. If it’s ok without the mag but not with it in. It may well be the stock screws are too tight if they are missing which would allow it to foul the bolt.

Jamesy13

Check to see if the inserts are in the stock screw holes. If it’s ok without the mag but not with it in. It may well be the stock screws are too tight if they are missing which would allow it to foul the bolt.
Thanks for your reply. I will be home on Monday and will check. It is fine with no mag, it’s actually very nice and smooth.

Sonicdmb73

Thanks for your reply. I will be home on Monday and will check. It is fine with no mag, it’s actually very nice and smooth.
I have a 222 527. In mine at least one of the “pillars” is loose in the stock. Easy to lose and then the stock gets crushed. Which in turn makes your mag touch the bolt. Easily solved with a short length of tube. I can measure them if need be but not for a few days.

Jamesy13

I have a 222 527. In mine at least one of the “pillars” is loose in the stock. Easy to lose and then the stock gets crushed. Which in turn makes your mag touch the bolt. Easily solved with a short length of tube. I can measure them if need be but not for a few days.
Thanks for that. I will check and yes, I would appreciate you getting the length please.

Sonicdmb73

Thanks for that. I will check and yes, I would appreciate you getting the length please.
Assuming that is the problem. I will happily measure them when I get home.
Not sure but you might be able to get them as spares from somewhere. Might be worth a google.

Jamesy13

I’m home tomorrow so will have a look. I hope that is the issue as new mags are not cheap. I will report back tomorrow. Thanks all for the help

Jamesy13

I just checked the rifle. I unscrewed both of the action screws to have a look and there is a metal sleeve in the rear hole but not the front hole, I’m assuming the sleeve is the pillar? I just checked schematics online and they don’t show a front sleeve only back. Does this make sense?

Sonicdmb73

I just checked the rifle. I unscrewed both of the action screws to have a look and there is a metal sleeve in the rear hole but not the front hole, I’m assuming the sleeve is the pillar? I just checked schematics online and they don’t show a front sleeve only back. Does this make sense?
Yes the sleeve is the pillar. I am sure that there should be one in each hole but I cannot check atm.
A quick check on google shows no front pillar. But people have added one and bedded the action due to stock crushing.
I bedded mine but it is a long while ago I cannot remember exactly what I did.

Jamesy13

Yes the sleeve is the pillar. I am sure that there should be one in each hole but I cannot check atm.
A quick check on google shows no front pillar. But people have added one and bedded the action due to stock crushing.
I bedded mine but it is a long while ago I cannot remember exactly what I did.
Ah ok thanks. Would it be worth shaving a tiny amount off the end of the screw so it doesn’t foul the bolt?

Sonicdmb73

Ah ok thanks. Would it be worth shaving a tiny amount off the end of the screw so it doesn’t foul the bolt?
Are you talking about the rear screw where you have the pillar? If it’s obviously catching it could be the pillar is too short and possibly explain why you have problems with mag catching.
You might be better getting a gun smith to have a look.

Jamesy13

No the back one is flush, I think it’s the front one that’s causing issue. When I loosen it, the bolt cycles fine.

Sonicdmb73

No the back one is flush, I think it’s the front one that’s causing issue. When I loosen it, the bolt cycles fine.
Off the top of my head the front screw is a blind hole. It will be the stock crushed a bit.
You need to sort that out. Bedding it would solve the problem.

Jamesy13

Off the top of my head the front screw is a blind hole. It will be the stock crushed a bit.
You need to sort that out. Bedding it would solve the problem.
Great, makes sense. Better start saving to get a smith to do it. Any idea what something like this would cost?

Sonicdmb73

No sorry I am too tight to pay for it done.
You might find a replacement stock another solution. Possibly cheaper too. A good bedding job is not five minutes of a job.

activeviii

I thought the trigger guard/mag well locked into the action so you can't over tighten to chrush the mag.

Check the rear bolt is not to long and catching the back of the bolt. It could be that when the mag is in it is lifting the front of the bolt and dropping the rear so the lip on back of bolt is catching.

Jamesy13

I thought the trigger guard/mag well locked into the action so you can't over tighten to chrush the mag.

Check the rear bolt is not to long and catching the back of the bolt. It could be that when the mag is in it is lifting the front of the bolt and dropping the rear so the lip on back of bolt is catching.
Thanks for your reply. It’s definitely not the back screw. When you lift the bolt after firing, the back of the bolt slides over the rear screw and doesn’t catch. It’s when you pull on the bolt it catches somewhere

Jamesy13

Finally figured it out. The bolt is catching on the unspent rounds still in the mag. The angle of the bullet is too high. Looks like a new mag should sort it. Thanks for all the help.

Hornet 6

Check the spring in the mag is not fitted round the ring way, there is a pic in the handbook showing which way round it goes.

Neil.