Dangerous Game Course

Sjambok

I plan to run this annually as a fun competition

This event in August kind of falls between 2 stools - it is in part a training course and in part a fun comp / informal practice

In the future I plan to separate the training and the shooting comp/event - running two separate elements

FYI

I'm also working on a training course - the idea is to get it certificated by BASC or equiv

NOT as yet another device to force people to jump through more hoops but for those who might need some evidence of attendance and proof that the course is approved by some authoritative body

I used to be Safety Adviser to a well known Safari Park and know that the Head of Dept holds/held a .375 H&H in case of escapes

When I was there we struggled to find an appropriate training course for staff authorised to use it - I suspected that it was merely a cabinet queen and rarely saw the light of day

I can see some value in a regular training program for zoo and safari Park staff and also a separate fun competition for interested folk

So yes Sjambok - next year I'll choose a date to fit the game industry

I had thought to have it just before the beginning of the game season, but your idea is also possible - do you have any suggested dates?

J
Anytime after 1 Feb and before Corvids get going [assuming we have a GL next year].

Would be for three of us. .375H&H, .300H&H and a moffie with a 30-06

25 Sharps

Genuine question and not a heckle but does the estate rifle rule apply to shooting targets particularly if not actually associated with a hunt on the. ‘Estate’?

bowji john

This is copied and pasted from BASC

BORROWING RIFLES ON PRIVATE PREMISES

Incorporating amendments from the Policing and Crime Act 2017 The detail in this fact sheet becomes law on 2nd May 2017 Section 11A of the Firearms Act 1968 subsumes the rifle exemption at Section 16 of the Firearms Act 1968. New Section 11A allows a non-certificate holder to borrow a rifle and use it in the presence of a certificate holder on private premises.

The following criteria must be met

• The borrower of a rifle must be aged 17 or older.
• The lender must be aged 18 or older and have a certificate in respect of the rifle.
• The borrower must be in the presence of the lender i.e. in sight and earshot.
• The use of a rifle must comply with any conditions on the certificate held in respect of that rifle.
• The purpose of the loan is only for hunting animals, shooting game or vermin or shooting artificial targets.
• The lender must be;

a) a person who has the right to allow others to enter the premises for the purpose of hunting animals or shooting game or vermin, or​
b) a person authorised by them in writing.​

Buckaroo8

I used to be Safety Adviser to a well known Safari Park and know that the Head of Dept holds/held a .375 H&H in case of escapes

When I was there we struggled to find an appropriate training course for staff authorised to use it - I suspected that it was merely a cabinet queen and rarely saw the light of day

I can see some value in a regular training program for zoo and safari Park staff and also a separate fun competition for interested folk
This reminds me of that incident on Svalbard back in 2011 when those campers were attacked by a polar bear.
If I remember correctly, the boys had a rifle with them but nobody among them knew how to shoot it. Several injured and one dead due, in part, to lack of proper training.
This sort of course has great value to explorers, zookeepers, hunters and anyone who encounters dangerous mammals.

Klenchblaize

Is there issue of a DMQ-like badge and certificate for those completing the course?

I've just sent Jimbo1984 this link as he's sure to be interested.

K

bowji john

Is there issue of a DMQ-like badge and certificate for those completing the course?

I've just sent Jimbo1984 this link as he's sure to be interested.

K
I'm sure he will love it ;)

Some kind of bit of paper for the course will be provided for those (if any) whose organisations (zoos etc) send them and who's Training Depts require a 'bit of paper'

bowji john

This reminds me of that incident on Svalbard back in 2011 when those campers were attacked by a polar bear.
If I remember correctly, the boys had a rifle with them but nobody among them knew how to shoot it. Several injured and one dead due, in part, to lack of proper training.
This sort of course has great value to explorers, zookeepers, hunters and anyone who encounters dangerous mammals.
I was told by someone from the NRA that the incident occurred because the fella trained in the use of the firearm was unaware of a 3 position safety

He pushed the safety into the middle position which allowed him to cycle the bolt but not shoot

He did not know that he had another click to go before he could shoot

However the above comes with a Gov health warning - it came from a credible source but I do not know it to be true. Sounds plausible though

VSS

I was told by someone from the NRA that the incident occurred because the fella trained in the use of the firearm was unaware of a 3 position safety

He pushed the safety into the middle position which allowed him to cycle the bolt but not shoot

He did not know that he had another click to go before he could shoot

However the above comes with a Gov health warning - it came from a credible source but I do not know it to be true. Sounds plausible though
That's what I heard, too. Apparently he kept on cycling the bolt and trying to fire, until he'd ejected a whole magazine of live rounds into the snow. I belive that no-one in the group had been trained in the correct use of that particular firearm. Might be just hearsay, I don't know.

johngryphon

It’s just bonkers to send a bunch of kids out camping on an island of polar bears without them all being proficient with the rifle which their lives depended upon.

Better them being with a firearm than without though.

A lot of kids were sent to war.

VSS

Better them being with a firearm than without though.
In this particular instance they weren't better with than without.
A pointy stick would have been more effective: At least they could have worked out for themselves how to use it!
The rifle was just a lump of wood and metal pipe, for all the good it did them. What's a firearm without the fire?

NickJ

OP - this sounds great but too far away for me, if you ever consider holding one in the North of England or South Scotland I'd be interesting in attending.

njc110381

I'd certainly be interested next year. I've just bought a .416 Rigby and am in the process of sorting out loads, scope etc for the rifle. I don't suppose it'll be up and running in time for this year but next time I will be very keen.

Estate rifle is an option I suppose, although ideally building the familiarity with my own gun is what I'd like to achieve. Sounds like a great day!

bowji john

We will be running others - including (I hope) an annual fun 'big bore' comp

I shall keep everyone in the picture

With regards to running one in the North - finding the right venue is essential as not many ranges will accommodate med to large caliber safely - especially at close range and on moving targets

For those considering coming in the future - make sure your FAC is conditioned for 'zeroing and practice' on suitable ranges etc etc rather than just zeroing

j