Available: Dangerous Game Weekend

Dangerous Game Course

DG picture as small file size.png

Hi folks

We have another Dangerous Game Weekend arranged for 30th and 31st May

This is a fun weekend with a bit of practice and learning thrown in

Loosely based on the Field Guide Associations of Southern Africa (FGASA) Advance Rifle Handling Course it is designed to provide participants with a practical challenge around the drills and skills associated with medium and heavy caliber rifle use in a situation where you might be charged by dangerous game.

This is the second of such courses we have run

Cost is £120 for just Saturday or £200 for both days

Further details to come shortly

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all

J

Hi Nigel

It will be on a range near Bidmin in Cornwall.

Sadly in this day and age I can't be too specific on open forum

I will PM you with further detail by no today as my computer has just gone in for bit of TLC

J

Buckaroo8

I attended the first day of the two day event this year and my only regret was not being able to make it for the second day. It is the most fun I’ve ever had on a gun range (the charging lion is a blast) and I also learnt some useful new techniques and skills, some of which I’ve since put to use here in the U.K. so it’s not only applicable to DG situations abroad.
John, I’d like to book a place for myself please, if there’s room. Cheers mate

DRN

This was a great, fun and testing course last year.
I would definitely recommend it and if I can, I'll be back again.

All responses and PMs have been noted

I'm without computer until late tomorrow and (being of a certain age) struggle with alternatives

I will respond shortly

In response.to Basil h

It is not I'm afraid.

I can email you with what the weekend involves

Please note - this is NOT a FGASA approved course

It is a course devised by us based upon principles encountered through first hand experience and having attended the FGASA course in the past.

I am humbled by the response from you all

Will be in touch shortly

J

Evening all

For those who know nothing about this event I have included a description from the last time I posted about this

I will answer each of those who have PM'ed me with specific questions

Meanwhile - if you are wishing to secure a place in May please contact me via PM.

A £50 deposit secures your place - this is refundable up to 1 month before the course - there after regrettably it is not

Cheers

John

Background

Based on the FGASA Advance Rifle Handling Assessment and the Special Knowledge & Skills Dangerous Game Rifle Assessment; this set of shooting exercises was originally designed for Game Rangers and PHs.

Purpose – what the day(s) involve(s) (and what it/they does/do not)

This is a fun day of shooting replicating those FGASA professional skills and tests. It has a serious side to it too, as it provides an opportunity:
  • For people to zero their medium and large caliber rifles from 50 to 300 yards
  • To get in some practice prior to a foreign trip
  • To improve handling and familiarity with the DG rifle
  • Improve familiarisation with the type of game likely to be encountered
  • To develop an understanding of the exercises and shooting skills in which Game Rangers and PH’s are required to demonstrate proficiency.
  • To provide an understanding of how a PH carries out his duties and how you, the client, fits into the picture
  • To establish a bi-annual shooting competition to compliment a DG course currently under development

This DG day is not designed to turn attendees into Game Rangers or PHs !

It is aimed at folks who
  • Are interested in an unusual and dynamic form of shooting competition
  • Are FAC holders of DG rifles and wish to get some practice in
  • Are interested in the topic of wildlife conservation, poaching and habitat loss
  • Might be involved in providing DG cover for expeditions or educational trips
  • Involved in game management in zoos and wildlife parks
  • Might be considering taking the FGASA route to game management
  • Just fancy something different

Eligibility

DG rifle owners with rifles conditioned to shoot on non home office approved ranges and ‘for the purposes of practice and zeroing’ on land suitable ..... etc etc – you get the picture. If your FAC only allows you to shoot your rifle abroad or on HO approved ranges, you can’t use it here.

All normal DG rifles from 9.3 to 500 Jeffery are eligible

FAC holders with calibers not traditionally considered appropriate for DG are also eligible (subject to the same FAC conditions) - so if you have a 308, 270 or 30 06 etc and just fancy the craic - come along

Don’t have an appropriate rifle or can’t use yours? We have a 9.3 x 62 rifle which you may borrow under estate rifle rules

Course will be hosted at a private range on Bodmin Moor, Cornwall. Details to be provided on booking

Course of Fire

Full details to be announced on the day

However, it will include both exercises and an informal competition involving:
  • Moving target of charging lion and buffalo using the Charge Box©
  • Full sized buffalo and lion targets
  • Range of plains game targets and DG targets and information posters
  • Rapid firing & reloading drills using Bianchi targets (also called the NRA D-1 target) at 25m, 20m, 15m
  • Walk down and engage targets exercise
  • Zeroing targets
Shooting will be off sticks (zeroing) or ‘out of hand’ (competition)

Safety

A full safety briefing will be given on arrival. It will include information on
  • Course of fire
  • Use of breach flags (provided)
  • Bolt open when moving from one target to another.
  • Rifle kept in slip when not on shooting line
  • RCOs, ROs and Sentries
  • Spectator areas and safe routes & pathways
Course numbers

Number of participants to be restricted to a max of 12

Ammunition

Ammo may be ordered in advance and (subject to availability) will be ready for you on the day

Quantity of ammo is up to you but a minimum of 20 rounds are needed each day

Home loads may be used

You will be required to bring at least 3 ‘snap cap’ blank rounds that fit your rifle

Accommodation

For those coming a long way, the range provides basic bunkhouse accommodation and the option to camp. B & B is available in the area

Dates

30th and 31st May

Cost

£120 for the day inc BBQ lunch
£200 for both days

Last edited: