Dark side of horse racing

375 mag

I've picked loads of Greyhounds of the roads around here when I worked for highways the w*****s would chuck them out the vehicles on their way home if they lost at races.

Jon P

I've picked loads of Greyhounds of the roads around here when I worked for highways the w*****s would chuck them out the vehicles on their way home if they lost at races.
A long time ago I was a dog warden for a number of year, we would find them dumped, trying to get the informed from the greyhound organisation on who the tattoos in the ears were registered to was an impossible task.

375 mag

A long time ago I was a dog warden for a number of year, we would find them dumped, trying to get the informed from the greyhound organisation on who the tattoos in the ears were registered to was an impossible task.
That's slightly better than chucking them out of a moving vehicle under a truck.

dunwater

Different type of animal is the only difference between horses and plenty of other animals that are bred and sent to slaughter if they don't make the grade as best breeding stock. Plenty of countries are horrified that we slaughter pigs for meat. We're horrified that countries breed dogs for meat. Who has more right to be horrified? It's 'only' a horse! It's born a prey animal just like deer surely? Deer farms breed and cull just the same!

My but you’re missing the point!
Neither the horse racing and greyhound industries are primarily about raising livestock for consumption. But in both cases better than 80% of the product is sub standard.
Both industries claim to operate to the highest standards of animal welfare.
And both of them are failing to acknowledge that the price of failure for the animals concerned is death at an early age.
A dog will be competitive for 4 years and a horse for 7-8 ?
Where do you think they go once they’re out of the winners enclosure?

baguio

My but you’re missing the point!
Neither the horse racing and greyhound industries are primarily about raising livestock for consumption. But in both cases better than 80% of the product is sub standard.
Both industries claim to operate to the highest standards of animal welfare.
And both of them are failing to acknowledge that the price of failure for the animals concerned is death at an early age.
A dog will be competitive for 4 years and a horse for 7-8 ?
Where do you think they go once they’re out of the winners enclosure?
I'm not missing any point. I'm against cruelty. Death is a certainty. As long as that death is instant and no cruelty has taken place then I can cope with that. The animal doesn't know that it's going to be shot you know!

dunwater

I'm not missing any point. I'm against cruelty. Death is a certainty. As long as that death is instant and no cruelty has taken place then I can cope with that. The animal doesn't know that it's going to be shot you know!
Theres no arguing that death is inevitable, but killing animals as a by product of a leisure industry is inexcusable, particularly when that industry constantly trumpets its concern for animal welfare and totally fails to acknowledge the fact that every successful horse or dog represents 3 or 4 others that didn’t make the grade.
I’d also be of the opinion that death isn’t instantaneous or painless if it comes at the end of a long period of convalescence, a lot of the animals involved are being euthanised because of career ending injuries.

baguio

Theres no arguing that death is inevitable, but killing animals as a by product of a leisure industry is inexcusable, particularly when that industry constantly trumpets its concern for animal welfare and totally fails to acknowledge the fact that every successful horse or dog represents 3 or 4 others that didn’t make the grade.
I’d also be of the opinion that death isn’t instantaneous or painless if it comes at the end of a long period of convalescence, a lot of the animals involved are being euthanised because of career ending injuries.
I'm really struggling with your arguments TBH.
"killing animals as a by product of a leisure industry is inexcusable"
What is game shooting or paid stalking and all of the other things that guides charge for then?
"every successful horse or dog represents 3 or 4 others that didn’t make the grade." Like livestock farming then?

"I’d also be of the opinion that death isn’t instantaneous or painless if it comes at the end of a long period of convalescence, a lot of the animals involved are being euthanised because of career ending injuries." But humans have to suffer until death comes as they can't be euthanised. Sounds like animals have it better than us to me?

Are you sure that you're on the correct forum?

dunwater

[/QUOTE]

Yes.
Or at least I was up to very recently.
Are you sure you’re not being deliberately obtuse?

JTO

A friend of mine was sending a mare to Kentucky to be covered/mated. She was told that there would be someone on the plane with a revolver in case an animal 'cut up rough' or something went wrong. I hope there was a good backstop.
One plane had a bumpy landing that broke all four legs of a really expensive horse!

baguio

Yes.
Or at least I was up to very recently.
Are you sure you’re not being deliberately obtuse?
I have simply answered you comments. That's what a forum relies upon.
Unfortunately you come across as a hypocrite IMO.
I get it that you're not in to horse or dog racing. Neither am I BTW. However, your arguments hold no water what so ever and especially when you kill stuff yourself either for fun or as a job. Even if it's as a job I will hazard a guess that you only got into it because you enjoyed it. Please save the stuff about being out in the countryside etc because the object is to kill things. :tiphat:

Magnificent 7

The horses I've put down in kennels were shot with a .32 Bell gun, the proper tool for horses. Did the odd one with the .32 Humane Webley that went on the Huntsman's saddle. I shot a Shire that had fallen in a ditch with a .410 as it had busted two legs and a hunter that had found rolls of barbed wire in long grass on an old airfield with a 12 bore. Never had a problem, just always stand to the side when using the bell gun.
Always stand to the side shooting any horse shot quite a few myself and they are very unpredictable. Seen most always lurch forward also seen one flip completley over. Bolt gun is satisfactory horses have a lot thinner skull than cattle.32 pistol is used quite a lot jockey club rules say they must also be silenced or at least used to be.I worked as a licenced slaughterman and every couple of months we took up to two wagons to a well known race horse trainer for race horses although these didn't go into the food chain.We also had a greyhound trainer regularly fetch greyhounds too pretty sad tbh fine animals PTS for not being fast enough.

New Avon Arms