Dealing with a Roe Carcass

snowstorm

Can I ask a few practical questions of those who don't have profesional game handling/processing facilites.

1. What do you do with the heart, kidneys and liver - how and when do you use them?

2. How and where do you hang the carcass once you get it home - and how do you protect it?

3. At this time of year, how long do you hang the carcass for?

Cheers.

swampy

Account Suspended
roe carcass

hi snow storm.

1. i eat the liver and kidneys fried when i get home as fresh as possible. the heart is normally smashed up and the dog gets it.

2. i hang it in the garage covered with a muslin sock thing with a couple of hula hoops in it to keep the flies off. i made mine after visitting ikea and buying the muslin curtians.

3. only 3 days or so. if my coke fridge is working i use that and it can hang in there for a couple of weeks.

it is quite important to prop the chest open with some sticks to help cooling as soon as possible. if it is a roe or muntjac and i do a full "non dsc" grallock including head, feet and red offal i will hang the carcass in a tree propped open.

swampy

techman

Dealing with a carcase

Hi Snowstorm,

Liver, thinly sliced, coated with seasond flour and quickly fried in butter along with mashed potatoes, is delicious.
Venison liver pate' is good also.

Devilled kidneys (when mrs Techman will do them for me).

Heart is often minced along with Shoulders to make burgers.

Now, before I had my chiller the deer would need butchering within 24 hours in the summer. However, if you have room in your fridge, place the joints on a mesh with a tray underneath to catch the blood and the meat will mature quite well.
Check the meat daily and your nose will tell you when it should be packed for the freezer.

Snowstorm

One other option - dogs love dried liver, and it's a lot cheaper than buying processed dog treats ;) . I'll often cut the liver into small cubes, dry it in the oven and then use it for dog training.

Regards

willie_gunn

Roe Hunter

Liver - either coated in flour and fried gently in butter, served with bacon mash and butter fried onions (yep I know, not very healthy but I tell myself that venison has so little fat that I can afford the odd indulgence in frying it in butter...), Or,alternatively turned into venison liver pate - gorgeous on toasted brown bread!

Heart - assuming the bullet hasn't wrecked it, stuffed with some suitable stuffing, then enclosed loosley in aluminium foil and roasted in the oven - absolutely fabulous!

Not having any chlling facilites, in summer I hang a Roe in my garage, usually for 1 to 2 days, enclosed in a Roe net.

bobt

I have an arrangement with my local butcher to use his coldstore.
I deliver the carcase to him, he hangs it for as long as he thinks, then gives me it back butchered and the offcutts made into sausage,
last weeks buck cost me £15.

cheating?
perhaps but I think the finished cuts are worthwhile, and why make life difficult?

edit for crap spellin

sp4rkman

bobt,

You'r very lucky your butcher is prepared to do that for you. Mine wont touch my carcasses for fear of contamination of his domestic carcasses. Means i can't hang my meat for very long and am limited in my butchery skills - still i have a good go at it and have fun.

Now, all i need is to find some stalking....

sp4rkman

Roe Hunter

sp4rkman said:
bobt,

You'r very lucky your butcher is prepared to do that for you. Mine wont touch my carcasses for fear of contamination of his domestic carcasses. Means i can't hang my meat for very long and am limited in my butchery skills - still i have a good go at it and have fun.

Now, all i need is to find some stalking....

sp4rkman
S'man, if you look at the Deer Commission for Scotland website www.dcs.gov.uk, look under the best practice then guides section, and they have some superb guidance on butchery - lots of pictures and descriptions of how to joint & steak a deer. Although the piccies show Red's, I have found them equally applicable to Roe! Once I read (and printed out) most of that, my butchery skills leapt from pretty poor to reasonably good (in my humble opinion of course!!)
Rgds

RH

griff

Snowstorm,
I use the liver and kidneys in sausages it gives them a real meaty flavour, but don't use anything near the rut.
If you hang carcasses in a chill make sure that you clean out the cavity of blood otherwise it will go mouldy and ruin the carcass.A drying chill will give you a better carcass.
10 days would be about normal for us, less if its a stag/buck..

regards
griff

griff

snowstorm,
anything leading upto the rut and about 1 month after.
applies to stags and bucks,we actually don't use stags full stop.Spikers are the only ones we consider, and that is dependant on what time of year it is.

regards
griff

david1976

Re: roe carcass

swampy said:
i made mine after visitting ikea and buying the muslin curtians.

swampy
I tried to find these curtains on the ikea web site however they are not coming up in a search of muslin curtains any chance of telling me what they call them so i can head along and get a set, thats a great idea.

The Mole

Liver - casserole or sliced, dipped in flour and fried. Kidneys - saved up in the freezer until enough to do devilled on rice - mmmmm. Heart & lungs - boiled up for the dogs.

Carcase goes into chiller cabinet in the garage (no worries about flies or heat in the summer) and sits there until I'm ready to deal with it. With fortnightly dustbin collections, this may be up to 2 weeks, but as it's chilled it doesn't really matter.

Even in the days before I had the chiller, I never hung carcases for long as we don't like our game too gamey! I'd suggest no more than a couple of days max in high summer, no more than a week in winter.

cervushunter

after the shot

Hi snowstorm,
to answer your question ;

1. Normally the heart ,liver and kidneys are taken home and frozen down and i take them a friend who has kennels and he feeds it all to his dogs.(not my cup of tea at all!)

2. The carcass is hung in my garage in darkness(no windows makes the place cooler and flies are not so active) with a mosquito net around it.
During hot weather i may turn on a desk fan aimed at the carcass just move the air around a bit.

3. Most of the time it cools for about 12/24 hours before being taken to a game dealer. occasionally i will butcher a badly shot beast or do one off private if someone wants one. :lol:

K333ROE

Hanging Venison

I have butchered a young hind he day after it was shot, tasted very good. If you hang roe the meat will taste stronger the longer you hang it. Most roe you will be shooting will be under 4 years old so you could easily eat it immediately if you don't like it too "gamey" !
Liver,heart and kidneys as already mentioned.

lwcdart

Your Roe Carcas

Snowstorm

As a Game Dealer who also stalks one hell of a lot I tend to use the livers myself or one of the lads who works for me uses most of our remaining offal, I think he is becomming Hannibal Lector or somthing, Roe or Young fallow liver is great just floured, seasoned & then pan fried.

We tend to get all of our beasts into refrigerated storage asap after field dressing although many people do now try to let them get down to room temp before chilling them as the meat then tends to relax more.

With larger species if they are biguns then they will hang just fine in a chiller for up to 3 weeks if poss to mature them, the ideal temp is 4 degrees C to hang them this length of time, in real terms many are cut & processed at 2 weeks & for Roe then 1/2 weeks at that temp is enough.

Its all a bit trial & error when you first start to hang & process a few or your own, the best bit of kit you could get is an old glass fronted drinks chiller-put in a hanging rail & away you go that should hold up to 4 roe or 2 bigger beasts, you can pick them up very cheep on ebay.

The main issue with maturing a carcus for any length of time is to ensure that the Anal & Throat tracts are out & that you as much as poss remove blood cloughts, any debris or gut contents if its a messy bugger-from inside that could contaminate your beast prior to hanging in the chiller.

Regs Lee

K333ROE

dealing with a roe carcas

The longer you hang it the stronger it will get. Most deer you shoot will be of less than 5 years old, if it's shot without being alarmed then the lactic acid that usually needs to be allowed to clear out of the system is not present so no need at all to hang the beast.