Deceased ear muffs?

devonair

Howard Leight Impacts for me.....£50approx Amazon.
41JgBJo7qgL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Got a cheap lightweight set I also keep in the car.£5

nic531

+1 for MSA... long warranty and after that a fixed price repair service. The after sales service has sold me to them... my 7 year old pair gave up after years on a salt marsh, being dunked in water and mud.... £60 quid, all repaired like new.... I wear mine a lot, with clays, target rifle and fowling

reloader54

I have both of these, and the msa knock the hl impacts out the ball park,
they are better in every way.
MSA are more pricey, but you get what you pay for and how much do you value your hearing.

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X
Howard Leight Impacts

macfarlane

Try looking at archo for earmuffs John buying ones from a shooting supplier I feel we get ripped off, lots in archo will do exactly the same as the ones we buy for shooting.

Cottis

I now have a good few sessions use behind a new set of Peltor EEP 100's in ear electronic buds. I am really impressed with them and hit the buy button after reading reviews from Alantoo and Fizzbangwhallop on here.

In ear seem to offer better protection than over ear if various research is to be believed. No idea if that is the case but having used them with the shotgun a good amount, I find them really good and they do not get in the way of gun mount.

Fabulous little strong storage box which doubles up as a charging unit, 3 amplification settings and 16hrs use between charges from the built in lithium batteries.

I am looking forward to using them in the summer and not getting sweaty ears from over ear muffs.

As with all electronic hearing protection, wind noise when it is blowing is the only real annoyance I have with them but you can fix little wind breakers. I don't personally bother as it does not annoy me enough but it is a consideration.

Alantoo

Peltor EEP 100s in ear-plugs. Half the price of the earlier version LEP-100s I have been using for the last couple of years. The cost difference being in the recharging/non recharging carry case as far as I can tell.

At SNR 38dB They are two or three times the dB attenuation of the best over ear muffs depending on the tips used...

Rechargeable Li-ion batteries...3 volume settings...don't inhibit cheek weld....

If some wazzock at the range is directing his muzzle blast back onto you with a muzzle break you can double up with some SNR 25dB over ear muffs like the Howard Leights or just passive muffs

Alan

Last edited:

Sika98k

When my second pair of Peltor Sportacs packed up I decided to try something else. Like other I have found the Howard Leights at a reasonable price tick the boxes for me.
In fact I got a pair on eBay for £28 !

Lateral

My Peltor ear muffs have given up the ghost. What electronic ear muffs do folk recommend? Mostly for rifle shooting, but also for frightening clay pigeons?
Thanks
JCS

These guys are great, and will quote before repair.

Peltor Repairs

I bought a pair of MSA Sordin in Orange Blaze for driven. I struggle to tell the difference to the Peltor, but the build quality, especially the switches are far superior to Peltor.

mickyfinn

Also been using the Impact model but today been looking at these MSA sordin supreme pro x or 3M Peltor ComTac XPI

jcampbellsmith

These guys are great, and will quote before repair.

Peltor Repairs

I bought a pair of MSA Sordin in Orange Blaze for driven. I struggle to tell the difference to the Peltor, but the build quality, especially the switches are far superior to Peltor.
Thanks very much. I've given them a call and am going to post the muffs off.
Best regards
JCS

jcampbellsmith

Peltor EEP 100s in ear-plugs. Half the price of the earlier version LEP-100s I have been using for the last couple of years. The cost difference being in the recharging/non recharging carry case as far as I can tell.

At SNR 38dB They are two or three times the dB attenuation of the best over ear muffs depending on the tips used...

Rechargeable Li-ion batteries...3 volume settings...don't inhibit cheek weld....

If some wazzock at the range is directing his muzzle blast back onto you with a muzzle break you can double up with some SNR 25dB over ear muffs like the Howard Leights or just passive muffs

Alan
Alan
Thanks, I've ordered up a set of these.
Best regards
JCS

fizzbangwhallop

I’m still very impressed with the EEP-100’s combined with a pair of CENS Mino tips... I’m still on the original pair of tips and looking at them now, they don’t show any signs of degradation.

When I was on loading duty they came out between drives and they were in all day last Saturday for squirreling..... certainly better than muffs as these can twist away from a good seal when shooting up in the tall trees.

I quickly gave up on the foam tips supplied with the EEP’s, they look pretty grubby and worse for wear even though they were only used a couple of times.

I have to sit down when I think of the money I’ve spent on electronic muffs over the years :cry:although my latest pair of Howard Leight Impact Pros were only around the £65 mark direct.....Half the price of exactly the same from a shooting sports seller!

cheers

fizz

fizzbangwhallop

Alan
Best regards
JCS
Good stuff!:thumb:

I bought the cens mino tips from puretoneretail...... free post compared to their other site.....

lower down this page....

looks like I’ve got small lug ‘oles.... I use the 10.5mm shorts
cheers
fizz

Alantoo

Alan
Best regards
JCS
I think they are brilliant. The only person I know that didn't manage to get on with them was @Klenchblaize ....but if you look back at earlier threads containing LEP-100 @caorach has posted a few pointers and sources of alternative tips if the Peltor ones do not suit you, and @fizzbangwhallop has already posted his source...I ended up with the 3M/Peltor 3M Peltor Triple-C Communicaiton Eartips CCC-GRM-25 Pack of 25 Pairs - Earshot Communications

If you do not get any of the ccc-grm-25 type in your pack to try....PM your address and I will put a pair in the post for you as I ended up with a 25pr box and have only got through a few pairs so far...They are rated at 35dB whereas the skull screws are at 38dB but I found the skull screws too big for my ears.

I find them excellent for everything except working in the forge where I am always worried that the microphones will get zapped by the iron dust in the atmosphere....I have managed to ruin a few cordless and mobile telephones that way. I did use them in a forge giving a masterclass week with blacksmith students last year though and they survived and were perfect for the job of chatting one to one while all hell broke loose around and about!..I keep finding more uses for them...at the range, when beating / flagging in front of the gun line, for HAD callouts, on the tractor and digger, using the brush cutter and chainsaw...

Alan

Odders

My Peltor ear muffs have given up the ghost. What electronic ear muffs do folk recommend? Mostly for rifle shooting, but also for frightening clay pigeons?
Thanks
JCS
What's up with your Peltors?
My Tac6-s must be 15 years old & still work like new. OK, so I've gone through a couple of muff kits & replaced 2 capacitors & a resistor (total cost, less than £15) but it's still way less than a new set.