Decent, bigger, cheap(ish) scopes

Greener Jim

Right so my 338-06 will be getting built shortly, just piecing bits together. I am almost certainly getting a red dot for it as my primary sight. Run 250gr RN at 2500fps and thump anything this side of 100 yards. This style of hunting really appeals to me, I'm a stalker not a shooter and I want it to be hard.
The red dot I'm looking at is around £350 inc mount but an Aimpoint Micro is around £550 or so.
So, if I decided to get a scope to get the most out of my 338 instead of the red dot, what would you recommend within the same price parameters?
We'll go polar opposites so the bigger the better and all the turret goodies if possible.
Just as a fun one :)

I'v got a 8x56 german S&B ? other than that have a look at the Delta for a few ££ more

I'll take your word that the .338-06 A-Square will make 2500, but at 'short range' all you need is a fixed 3x or 4x for quick target acquisition. There are plenty of old-style secondhand 'scopes around about the £80-£90 mark.

You don't have to have an Aimpoint - great sight, long battery life, etc - but the truth is that the red dot sights made by Burris are really good ( military uses them ) and the Tasco and Bushnell for $100 or less have multiple reticles, colors, dot sizes, and brightness levels, all adjustable in an instant. And they are used on 12 gauge slug guns and .44 magnum handguns in the USA, so they are plenty tough. The tiny red dots like the Bushnell and Fastfire are used on the slides of combat handguns, like the FNH 45, and on the US Marine Corps Benelli entry shotgun.

Don't know your intended use, but I bought a model change closeout Bushnell 30mm 1.5-6x44mm with German No. 4 reticle for one of my .30-06s for under $80.00 (!!!), sitting in Warne rings. It is entirely workable from running boar up close to a 400 shot on sheep, if I wanted to take such a shot. It is all personal taste, but something like the very bright 4x40mm Swift Premier ( or Leupold M8 4x, or Weaver K4 or K6 ), would do all required of a .338-06 thumper.

I'll take your word that the .338-06 A-Square will make 2500, but at 'short range' all you need is a fixed 3x or 4x for quick target acquisition. There are plenty of old-style secondhand 'scopes around about the £80-£90 mark.

Well book velocities have it at 2550fps with a 250gr so I reckon 2500 +/-25 is reasonable.
I see your point with the low power scope but I'd just go red dot for short range. All the normal stalking scopes I am relatively familiar with, I'm more thinking about very high mag so 20 or higher.
I likely won't get one, just curious if there is any good ones under £550.

Vortex Viper 4-16x44 HS LR.

I think that Southern's advice to go for a cheaper red dot sight is sound.

You don't have to have an Aimpoint - great sight, long battery life, etc - but the truth is that the red dot sights made by Burris are really good ( military uses them ) and the Tasco and Bushnell for $100 or less have multiple reticles, colors, dot sizes, and brightness levels, all adjustable in an instant. And they are used on 12 gauge slug guns and .44 magnum handguns in the USA, so they are plenty tough. The tiny red dots like the Bushnell and Fastfire are used on the slides of combat handguns, like the FNH 45, and on the US Marine Corps Benelli entry shotgun.

I am looking mainly at the Shield SIS which I can get for around £350, the same as most of the Burris stuff. The Bushnells are very cheap and I do hear good things but I bought a vortex red dot a while ago and it was good for a little and then went massive starburst so has soured me somewhat on cheap dots.

The mini sights are what interest me really and the SIS weighs just under 62g (less than 2.2 oz).
If I did go down this route it would be my primary sight for this rifle and it would be my only big game rifle, so ruggedness is a big factor for me.

Last edited:
It's the 552 and comes with the QD base for a picattiny rail.
It's on my M&P 15 at the moment.
Pm me if you're interested in that model and I'll have a word with my son,he'll be sad to see it go. Thanks.

Hi Jim,it's the 552 model and comes with the accucam QD base for a Picattiny rail,very repeatable.
It's on my M&P 15 at the moment,I'll have to have a word with my boy first,he'll be sad to see it go.
Pm me if you're interested in this model and I can send you some photos. Thanks.

Ah, the 522. To be honest all the Eotech sights are a little heavy for my planned use and I severely doubt you'd sell for the price I have in mind which would be a necessity for me to make it worthwhile.
A 512 I may have got to where I wanted but not a 522 without being unfair to you. Plus that mount wouldn't be on my list and you'd be stuck with it!
Good luck with the sale if you decide to let it go mate, I'm sure your lad would forgive you.....eventually ;)

Back